Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2570975 times)

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
"L" is Lisístrata (2002)
« Reply #5820 on: February 10, 2009, 06:56:21 pm »

From IMDB: 411 BC, Sparta and Athens are in a endless war, but Lisistrata, a beautiful woman has an idea to stop the fight, and convinces all the women to do it: no sex until there is peace. At first things are going well and men are becoming more and more desperate, but when when things are going to collapse, Hepatitos, the leader of the Gay Greek United has an idea: convince men that, if women doesn't want to have sex, let's do it only with men; which will lead to unexpected funny situations. The film is bad, very bad, the plot is quite absurd and actors are simply correct, but, in some way, the film is so absurd and weird that it results funny, i found myself laughing a lot while watching these film (maybe I was in an unexpected good mood, I don't know), it is good if you want to spend a relaxed 90 minutes, relaxed seeing a film. It does not worth at all the time you will spend seeing it, but there are lots of worse films that this one. If you have not anything more to do, possibly you will laugh a little and have a good time.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"M" is Mourning Becomes Electra (1947)
« Reply #5821 on: February 10, 2009, 07:22:23 pm »

Plot: Eugene O'Neill's updated version of the Orestaia. In New England, after the American Civil War, a war-weary Agamem--er, Ezra Mannon comes home to his unhappy wife (Christine) and loving daughter (Lavinia). But Lavinia's ex-suitor, Adam Brant, has become Christine's lover, and together Adam and Christine plot to poison Ezra. When they succeed, Lavinia turns to her brother Orin to help bring the lovers to justice, but when they succeed, Orin goes mad and his suicide note may come between Lavinia and her new suitor, Peter Niles
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 10:06:55 pm by oilgun »

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"N" is Nightmare Sisters (1987)
« Reply #5822 on: February 10, 2009, 08:37:17 pm »
Also known as:  Sorority Sisters (USA)
Sorority Succubus Sisters (USA)

From IMDb:  This one has it all:  college sororities, nerds, demonic possession, babes seducing in first-person camera perspective, cherry pies, and lunk-headed jocks getting eaten by evil succubuses. All in all, the perfect family film.

"Nightmare Sisters" details what happens when three homely sorority sisters summon a demon that possesses them all and makes them seduce and/or devour every male within groping distance... oh yeah, and take baths together and get naked. A lot. Did I mention this was a comedy? No? Musta slipped my mind....

=aside= Gil
Welcome back.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"O" is Oedipus Rex (1957)
« Reply #5823 on: February 11, 2009, 04:35:09 pm »

From IMDB: An attempt to film a Greek tragedy as the Greeks would have seen it, or at least somewhat so. It's intentions are noble, but it doesn't really have any ideas of its own. This is one dull film. The monotonous chanting might have worked for the ancient Athenians, but it cancels out the greatness of the play for modern viewers. Watching this version, Sophocles' play feels entirely irrelevant to us today. Even though I'm a classics scholar, I've always disliked adaptations of the tragedies – I feel that we could never really capture what they meant to their original audience, simply because we are so vastly different from them. Fortunately, on a very rare occasion, someone gets it right. Skip this and see Pasolini's 1967 version of the same play. On a side note, William Shatner, in his second feature film performance, plays one of the chorus members. You can't see him, however, on account of his mask.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"P" is Porky's Hero Agency (1937)
« Reply #5824 on: February 13, 2009, 06:07:18 pm »
Plot:  Porky is reading the myth of the Greek gorgon, who turned everyone she looked at into stone. Mother tells him it's bed time; he dreams of being the hero that saves Greece, Porkyakarkus. The Gorgon runs a photo studio; Porky sneaks in and grabs her life-restoring needle, saving civilization just before he wakes up.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezRl8J7sGL0[/youtube]

Offline Fran

Wildcard "Q" is Helen of Troy (1956)
« Reply #5825 on: February 13, 2009, 06:52:06 pm »

From IMDb:  In this version, Prince Paris of Troy, shipwrecked on a mission to the king of Sparta, meets and falls for Queen Helen before he knows who she is. Rudely received by the royal Greeks, he must flee... but fate and their mutual passions lead him to take Helen along. This gives the Greeks (treated here as plunder-hungry belligerents) just the excuse they need for much-desired war. The long, wasting conflict and climactic treachery are portrayed with large-scale spectacle.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"R" is Rush Night (2004)
« Reply #5826 on: February 13, 2009, 10:28:52 pm »

Plot: Jimmy and Kevin are two frustrated college-age dorks. They don't get into parties, they don't get into clubs, and they definitely don't get chicks. But, one day, they figure out that the way to be cool and get chicks is to join a fraternity. Of course, no fraternity would take these nerds, so instead, they do the next best thing; they pose as frat guys, and crash a fraternity party. There, they meet two hot girls who seem to fall for their act. The girls explain that they've had too much to smoke and have the "munchies" for chocolate doughnuts. The guys are convinced that sexual favors will be their reward. Simple right? Not for this group. They quickly realize that Karma is a harsh mistress for those with impure motives as their mission turns into a comedic spiral into the Twilight Zone.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"S" is Sappho (2008)
« Reply #5827 on: February 14, 2009, 08:26:13 am »

Plot: "And? What comes next?" "It's lost. We'll never know." "Perhaps we should decide for ourselves" Sappho is a provocative and passionate love story set in the 1920s - not to be watched with children or with parents. Millionaire's daughter Sappho Lovell arrives on the Greek island of Lesbos for her honeymoon with her artist husband Phil. There she meets Helene, the daughter of a Russian archaeologist, and she falls in love with her. As our three lovers live out a complex girl-boy-girl sexual triangle, Sappho also comes to believe that she is the reincarnation of the ancient poetess Sappho - that Sappho who first put the "lesbian" in Lesbos. However, our modern Sappho does realize how the ancient Sappho's legend ends... Inspired by the poems of Sappho
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 05:20:37 pm by oilgun »

Offline Fran

"T" is Troy (2004)
« Reply #5828 on: February 14, 2009, 11:22:25 am »

From IMDb:  An adaptation of Homer's great epic, the film follows the assault on Troy by the united Greek forces and chronicles the fates of the men involved.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"U" is Ulisse (1954)
« Reply #5829 on: February 14, 2009, 05:59:16 pm »
AKA Ulysses.

Plot:  A movie adaptation of Homer's second epic, that talks about Ulysses' efforts to return to his home after the end of ten years of war.