Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2558277 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: ABCs at the Movies: 2009 Movies!
« Reply #5980 on: August 24, 2010, 09:16:49 am »
Next up:

This round will feature movies with an IMDb release date of 2009.

Note:  The following 2009 movies may not be played
since they were used in previous rounds:

Ashecliffe
Brothers
Case 39
Eloise in Paris
Fast & Furious
I Love You, Man
Kentucky Rhapsody
The Last Testament of Lucky Luciano
Little Chicago
Lovely Bones, The
Need
One Nation Under Bob
The Owl in Daylight
Public Enemies
Queen of the South
Rain Fall
Shutter Island
Triage
The Trial of the Chicago 7
The Unborn
Undisputed 3
Vintner's Luck, The
We Believe: Chicago and its Cubs
When in Rome
Wonder Woman
Y: The Last Man
Year One

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"A" is Agora (2009)
« Reply #5981 on: August 24, 2010, 09:23:12 am »

A historical drama set in Roman Egypt, concerning a slave who turns to the rising tide of Christianity in the hopes of pursuing freedom while also falling in love with his master, the famous female philosophy professor and atheist Hypatia of Alexandria.

Offline Fran

"B" is The Blind Side (2009)
« Reply #5982 on: August 24, 2010, 09:59:20 am »

Plot:  The story of Michael Oher, a homeless and traumatized boy who became an All-American football player and first-round NFL draft pick with the help of a caring woman and her family.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hn5-pxWM6k[/youtube]
Trailer
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:55:45 pm by Fran »

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
"C" is Crazy Heart (2009)
« Reply #5983 on: August 24, 2010, 10:51:38 am »

Plot:
 A faded country music musician is forced to reassess his dysfunctional life during a doomed romance that also inspires him.
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"D" is Dorian Gray (2009)
« Reply #5984 on: August 24, 2010, 10:58:18 am »

A corrupt young man somehow keeps his youthful beauty eternally, but a special painting gradually reveals his inner ugliness to all.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
E is Earthwork (2009)
« Reply #5985 on: August 24, 2010, 11:22:19 am »

From IMDb:
In 1994, real-life crop artist Stan Herd traveled from Kansas to Manhattan's Upper West Side to create a massive environmental artwork on land owned by Donald Trump. The multi-acre artwork was made from soil, rock, plants and vegetation near an underground railway tunnel. Stan recruited a number of homeless individuals living in the tunnel to become his crew. Over the months it took to complete the earthwork, Stan dealt with a myriad of difficulties in bringing his unique, rural art form to an urban canvas and the many costs his art exacted upon his life. In the process, he unexpectedly encountered the true meaning of his art and it's ultimate, lasting rewards.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:57:41 pm by oilgun »

Offline Fran

"F" is The Fourth Kind (2009)
« Reply #5986 on: August 24, 2010, 12:34:31 pm »

Plot:  A thriller involving an ongoing unsolved mystery in Alaska, where one town has seen an extraordinary number of unexplained disappearances during the past 40 years and there are accusations of a federal cover-up.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMqDtb3lLII[/youtube]
Trailer

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"G" is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009)
« Reply #5987 on: August 24, 2010, 12:51:36 pm »

A journalist is aided in his search for a woman who has been missing -- or dead -- for forty years by a young female hacker.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
H is Hadewijch (2009)
« Reply #5988 on: August 24, 2010, 05:58:44 pm »

From IMDb:  Dumont explores the fine line between martyrdom, fanaticism, faith, and delusion in this meditative (some will call slow paced) look at a young Christian fanatic who befriends a group of 'terrorist' Muslims. Throughout there's a degree of sexual threat and violence so present in his films, as well as the very physical presence of nature, of weather, of the elements. It's an edgy mix, yet most of the time we're looking at the world through the vulnerable searching eyes and face of Julie Sokolowski as Céline/Hadewijch, the latter being a 13th century mystic who also sublimated courtship for a love to God, and who also took no vows as a nun. As Celine, the girl is sent from the convent for being too extreme in her devotion. She begins to naively explore the real world. Like the earlier poet and mystic Hadewijch – into whom she slowly seems to be transforming – Celine is also from a very wealthy family, a fact that sets up another set of questions and contrasts in this contemporary context. I love looking at the faces director Dumont offers up, and as always he sets up situations that call out for argument and conversation. The ending is sudden and unexpected, and you are left to question not only what might happen next, but to where exactly has the director led us.

I really like Bruno Dumont but I've yet to see this one.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"I" is Inglourious Basterds (2009)
« Reply #5989 on: August 24, 2010, 06:25:13 pm »

From IMDB: In Nazi occupied France, young Jewish refugee Shosanna Dreyfus witnesses the slaughter of her family by Colonel Hans Landa. Narrowly escaping with her life, she plots her revenge several years later when German war hero Fredrick Zoller takes a rapid interest in her and arranges an illustrious movie premiere at the theater she now runs. With the promise of every major Nazi officer in attendance, the event catches the attention of the "Basterds", a group of Jewish-American guerilla soldiers led by the ruthless Lt. Aldo Raine. As the relentless executioners advance and the conspiring young girl's plans are set in motion, their paths will cross for a fateful evening that will shake the very annals of history.