Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2559454 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"J" is Jennifer's Body (2009)
« Reply #5990 on: August 24, 2010, 06:53:52 pm »

A newly possessed cheerleader turns into a killer who specializes in offing her male classmates. Can her best friend put an end to the horror?

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
K is Kidnap (2009)
« Reply #5991 on: August 24, 2010, 07:03:53 pm »
I don't know why I jumped on the letter 'K'...

There wasn't much to choose from but this cute animated film caught my eye:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zddj4hjLvHM[/youtube]

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"L" is The Last Station (2009)
« Reply #5992 on: August 24, 2010, 07:07:32 pm »

Plot:  A historical drama that illustrates Russian author Leo Tolstoy's struggle to balance fame and wealth with his commitment to a life devoid of material things.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAk6Jf5j0GE&feature=related[/youtube]
Trailer

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"M" is Mao's Last Dancer (2009)
« Reply #5993 on: August 24, 2010, 08:19:06 pm »

A drama based on the autobiography by Li Cunxin. At the age of 11, Li was plucked from a poor Chinese village by Madame Mao's cultural delegates and taken to Beijing to study ballet. In 1979, during a cultural exchange to Texas, he fell in love with an American woman. Two years later, he managed to defect and went on to perform as a principal dancer for the Houston Ballet and as a principal artist with the Australian Ballet.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
N is Nowhere Boy (2009)
« Reply #5994 on: August 24, 2010, 08:29:45 pm »

From IMDb:  Imagine John Lennons childhood A spirited teenager, curious, sharp and funny, growing up in the shattered city of Liverpool. Two extraordinary sisters tussle for his love - Mimi, the formidable aunt who raised him from the age of 5 and Julia, the spirited mother who gave him up to Mimis care. Yearning for a normal family, John escapes into art and the new music flooding in from the US. His fledgling genius finds a kindred spirit in the young Paul McCartney. But just as Johns new life begins, the truth about his past leads to a tragedy he would never escape.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: ABCs at the Movies: 2009 Movies!
« Reply #5995 on: August 24, 2010, 08:46:30 pm »
Awesome, film, Gil!  I saw it at the Ptown film festival this summer:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Km9L1Sqd0&feature=search[/youtube]

Offline Fran

"O" is Orphan (2009)
« Reply #5996 on: August 24, 2010, 10:08:51 pm »

Plot:  A husband and wife who recently lost their baby adopt a 9-year-old girl who is not nearly as innocent as she claims to be.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgxVIB2WuHU[/youtube]
Trailer

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
"P" is for Pirate Radio (2009)
« Reply #5997 on: August 25, 2010, 12:27:15 am »
Oops, sorry everyone, I didn't realize Public Enemies had already been played.   I'm still new at this.  :)   Anyway, here's a comedy from Focus that I wish I had seen:

Plot:   Inspired by the British pirate radio revolution in the '60s, the majority of the film's shoot will take place in a large rusty metal fishing trawler moored off the coast of England in the very waters that kept the rock of the '60s booming into the U.K.

In 1966 -- arguably British pop music's finest era -- the BBC played only two hours of rock and roll every week. But pirate radio blasted rock and pop from the high seas 24 hours a day. And 25 million people -- more than half the population of Britain -- listened to these pirates every single day.

"The Boat That Rocked" is an ensemble comedy in which the romance takes place between the young people of the '60s and pop music. It's about a band of rogue DJs that captivated Britain, playing the music that defined a generation and standing up to a government that, incomprehensibly, preferred jazz.Leading the cast are Philip Seymour Hoffman as The Count, a big, brash, American god of the airwaves; Bill Nighy as Quentin, the boss of Radio Rock -- a pirate radio station in the middle of the North Sea that's populated by an eclectic crew of rock and roll DJs; Rhys Ifans as Gavin, the greatest DJ in Britain who has just returned from his drug tour of America to reclaim his rightful position; Nick Frost as Dave, an ironic, intelligent and cruelly funny co-broadcaster; and Kenneth Branagh (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Hamlet) as British Minister Dormandy, a fearsome government official out for blood against the drug takers and lawbreakers of a once-great nation.

~~~~~~

Some of these movies look great - I can't believe I haven't seen NoWhere Boy, and Mao's Last Dancer looks good too.      A Single Man I must see, and I was all set to see Precious, but a clip I saw was just a little too visceral for me; but I know it must be wonderful.   :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 02:02:04 pm by marina »
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
Wildcard "Q" is Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (2009)
« Reply #5998 on: August 25, 2010, 10:19:27 am »

From IMDB: In Harlem, an overweight, illiterate teen who is pregnant with her second child is invited to enroll in an alternative school in hopes that her life can head in a new direction.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 11:05:00 am by Fran »

Offline Fran

"R" is Red Riding: In the Year of Our Lord 1974 (2009)
« Reply #5999 on: August 25, 2010, 10:27:50 am »

Plot:  A rookie journalist looks to solve the increasingly vexing case of a serial killer on the loose.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQnBJuskguE[/youtube]
Trailer