Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2558982 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"S" is A Single Man (2009)
« Reply #6000 on: August 25, 2010, 11:23:45 am »
The best film of 2009:

A story that centers on an English professor who, after the sudden death of his partner tries to go about his typical day in Los Angeles.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aypyJtHzC70[/youtube]

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: ABCs at the Movies: 2009 Movies!
« Reply #6001 on: August 25, 2010, 01:51:43 pm »
Awesome, film, Gil!  I saw it at the Ptown film festival this summer:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Km9L1Sqd0&feature=search[/youtube]

I saw the trailer a few times at the cinema but I don't think it's been released yet, has it?  It does look good.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: ABCs at the Movies: 2009 Movies!
« Reply #6002 on: August 25, 2010, 03:24:47 pm »
I saw the trailer a few times at the cinema but I don't think it's been released yet, has it?  It does look good.

IMDb says October 8 for the US.  No date for Canada.  :(

Offline oilgun

T is Tetro (2009)
« Reply #6003 on: August 25, 2010, 05:24:42 pm »

Excerpts from Mick Lasalle's review:

[...]
Shot mostly in black-and-white, "Tetro" could easily be the most beautiful looking movie you'll see all year. The sharp, high contrast cinematography - shot with digital cameras - calls to mind images of New Orleans in "A Streetcar Named Desire" (1951).
[...]
"Tetro" deals with the collateral damage of having a father who is an artist of international stature, in this case an orchestra conductor (played in a handful of vivid flashbacks by Klaus Maria Brandauer).
[...]
Awkward, but full of life. Awkward, but impassioned - like something written by a young person. Let's look at "Tetro" as the new Coppola's second film and greet this as the first major work of a promising young filmmaker.

Full Review: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2009/06/19/MVKE188CF8.DTL#ixzz0xejwySir

http://www.tetro.com/

Sorry to bring this one up again, albeit on another thread, but I enjoyed it so much that I squealed with delight when I saw it was from 2009.   :D

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"U" is The Uninvited (2009)
« Reply #6004 on: August 25, 2010, 05:42:03 pm »

Plot: Anna Rydell returns home to her sister (and best friend) Alex after a stint in a mental hospital, though her recovery is jeopardized thanks to her cruel stepmother, aloof father, and the presence of a ghost in their home.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnqDcdyI-qQ[/youtube]
Trailer

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"V" is Vampiro (2009)
« Reply #6005 on: August 25, 2010, 05:48:15 pm »

Half-human and half-vampire Casanova Vladimires, played by Damian Chapa, protects humans and fights vampires in East LA.

Offline oilgun

W is Wild Grass (2009)
« Reply #6006 on: August 25, 2010, 05:56:28 pm »

Les herbes folles (original title)

From IMDb:
A wallet lost and found opens the door to romantic adventure for Georges and Marguerite. After examining the ID papers of its owner, it is not a simple matter for Georges to turn the red wallet he found in to the police. Nor is it that Marguerite can recuperate her wallet without being piqued with curiosity about whom it was who found it. As they navigate the social protocols of giving and acknowledging thanks, turbulence enters their otherwise quotidian lives.

Offline oilgun

Wildcard X is Life During Wartime (2009)
« Reply #6007 on: August 25, 2010, 06:21:54 pm »

From IMDb:
Separated from her incarcerated husband Bill (Hinds), Trish (Janney) is about to be married again. Bill is a pedophile, so Trish couldn't be more excited to have Harvey (Lerner), a "normal" father figure for her two sons. But when Bill is released from prison and the boys finally meet their future stepdad, the family is forced to decide whether to forgive or to forget. Trish's sister, the virginal, angelic Joy (Henderson), is also haunted by ghosts of lovers past. On leave from her degenerate husband, Allen (Williams), and her job at a New Jersey correctional facility, Joy unwittingly leaves behind a trail of shame and exposed secrets wherever she goes. In one of the film's most stylized sequences, the image of Joy walking the dark streets of Miami in her nightgown maintains her innocence against a backdrop of self-affliction and desire.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"Y" is Yesterday (2009)
« Reply #6008 on: August 25, 2010, 08:24:10 pm »

Plot:  "Yesterday" follows the lives of complete strangers in the middle of a zombie outbreak. As each person struggles to survive we find their actions begin to affect the lives of others around the dying city, culminating in a standoff at the local grocery store. There, the remaining survivors decide to band together and flee to the wilderness. Once camp is built, however, they find that the living dead are not the only danger as they begin to turn on one another in a struggle for power and control.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
Wildcard "Z" is 500 Days of Summer (2009)
« Reply #6009 on: August 25, 2010, 09:33:16 pm »

From IMDB: He's Tom, from New Jersey, working in L.A. writing greeting cards even through he's an architect by training. She's Summer, in from Michigan. Day one is her first day as an AA in Tom's office. We jump back and forth in time: by day 67, they've become an item when she decides to put aside the lovemaking and just be friends. Tom, a romantic who's sure Summer is the one for him, wallows in self pity. We go back to the early days and see the relationship begin. Summer tells him right away that she doesn't believe in love. He mopes well past day 100. Then, as day 500 approaches, they find themselves at a wedding together. Does the old flame rekindle? Is Tom right that destiny controls love?

=aside= Paul
Were you waiting the whole round in order to play "A Single Man?"