Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2557478 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: ABCs at the Movies: Question
« Reply #6010 on: August 26, 2010, 06:27:10 pm »
This round is for:

The following 2010 titles may NOT be used:

Cat Tale
Jason and the Argonauts: The Kingdom of Hades
Jennifer Government
Leslie
Quick Slip Me a Bride
Yiddish Policemen's Union, The

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 01:24:42 pm by oilgun »

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
A is Animal Kingdom (2010)
« Reply #6011 on: August 26, 2010, 08:11:02 pm »
This Australian film is getting a lot of buzz.  It was just released here.  LOVE this poster, don't know why they didn't use it.

Tells the story of seventeen year-old J (Josh) as he navigates his survival amongst an explosive criminal family and the detective who thinks he can save him.

PS:  Did you know that when you do an alphabetical search on IMDb the titles that start with the article 'a' (ie A Single Man) get listed ahead of the 'a' titles.?  Doesn't seem right, I mean 'a' is just a less specific 'the' and should be relegated to the end with a comma.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"B" is Black Swan (2010)
« Reply #6012 on: August 26, 2010, 08:24:21 pm »

Plot:  Nina (Portman) is a ballerina in a New York City ballet company whose life, like all those in her profession, is completely consumed with dance. She lives with her obsessive former ballerina mother Erica (Hershey) who exerts a suffocating control over her. When artistic director Thomas Leroy (Cassel) decides to replace prima ballerina Beth MacIntyre (Ryder) for the opening production of their new season, Swan Lake, Nina is his first choice. But Nina has competition: a new dancer, Lily (Kunis), who impresses Leroy as well. Swan Lake requires a dancer who can play both the White Swan with innocence and grace, and the Black Swan, who represents guile and sensuality. Nina fits the White Swan role perfectly but Lily is the personification of the Black Swan. As the two young dancers expand their rivalry into a twisted friendship, Nina begins to get more in touch with her dark side -- a recklessness that threatens to destroy her.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHTfDcP0APw[/youtube]
Trailer

Gil, great job with the round announcement!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"C" is Charlie St. Cloud (2010)
« Reply #6013 on: August 26, 2010, 10:16:54 pm »

Charlie St. Cloud is a young man overcome by grief at the death of his younger brother. So much so that he takes a job as caretaker of the cemetery in which his brother is buried. Charlie has a special lasting bond with his brother though, as he can see him. Charlie meets up with his brother (Sam) each night to play catch and talk. Then, a girl comes into Charlie's life and he must choose between keeping a promise he made to Sam, or going after the girl he loves.

=aside= Paul
Were you waiting the whole round in order to play "A Single Man?"

=aside= Sandy
You know me too well.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"D" is Due Date (2010)
« Reply #6014 on: August 26, 2010, 11:36:13 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fHO6x9xa5I&feature=related[/youtube]

From IMDB: High-strung father-to-be Peter Highman is forced to hitch a ride with aspiring actor Ethan Tremblay on a road trip in order to make it to his child's birth on time.

Offline Fran

"E" is Eclipse (2010)
« Reply #6015 on: August 27, 2010, 12:02:12 am »

Plot:  As a string of mysterious killings grips Seattle, Bella, whose high school graduation is fast approaching, is forced to choose between her love for vampire Edward and her friendship with werewolf Jacob.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1D5goGz0SY[/youtube]
Trailer

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"F" is Furry Vengeance (2010)
« Reply #6016 on: August 27, 2010, 08:47:25 am »

In the Oregon wilderness, a real estate developer's new housing subdivision faces a unique group of protesters, local woodland creatures who don't want their homes disturbed.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:02:10 pm by Fran »

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"G" is The Ghost Writer (2010)
« Reply #6017 on: August 27, 2010, 10:01:03 am »

An unremarkable ghost-writer has landed a lucrative contract to redact the memoirs of Adam Lang, the former UK Prime Minister. After dominating British politics for years, Lang has retired with his wife to the USA. He lives on an island, in luxurious, isolated premises complete with a security detail and a secretarial staff. Soon, Adam Lang gets embroiled in a major scandal with international ramifications that reveals how far he was ready to go in order to nurture UK's "special relationship" with the USA. But before this controversy has started, before even he has closed the deal with the publisher, the ghost-writer gets unmistakable signs that the turgid draft he is tasked to put into shape inexplicably constitutes highly sensitive material.

Offline Fran

"H" is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I (2010)
« Reply #6018 on: August 27, 2010, 10:19:31 am »

Plot:  Voldemort's power is growing stronger. He now has control over the Ministry of Magic and Hogwarts. Harry, Ron, and Hermione decide to finish Dumbledore's work and find the rest of the Horcruxes to defeat the Dark Lord. But little hope remains for them, so everything they do must go as planned.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8lXKkjyeHI[/youtube]
Trailer

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"I" is Iron Man 2 (2010)
« Reply #6019 on: August 27, 2010, 12:36:47 pm »

Billionaire Tony Stark must contend with deadly issues involving the government, his own friends, as well as new enemies due to his superhero alter ego Iron Man.