Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2564980 times)

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
"M" is Mystery, Alaska (1999)
« Reply #6270 on: December 16, 2010, 11:16:23 am »

From IMDB: I just saw Mystery, Alaska and I couldnt take my eyes off the screen!!!! Filled with both laughter and tears, I couldnt stop myself. Russell Crowe may be known for Gladiator, but personally, I like him a lot more as John Biebe. Laughter filled me up as Biebe's kids repeat words heard in the locker room, as Skank (Ron Eldard) tells of his sex ordeals, as people torture each other with punishments such as whacks over the head with snow shovels, sliding into a ][snow bank wearing only a jock strap, and punching each other. I couldnt stop. And the tears came when people died and with Biebe's Dear Abby column for his wife (Mary McCormack). And Birdie's (Scott Grimes) heart felt talks with his dad (Burt Reynolds) is a heart wrencher too.

A great hockey movie, and basically for all ages. There are a few sexual encounters in the movie, but not many. Skank has sex with the Mayor's (Colm Meaney) wife (Lolita Davidovich), and he says some subtle remarks to the female newscaster, and Mike Myers making a great cameo says something about a "rub and a tug".

All in all, this is a great film to watch at night, cuddled up with a mug of hot chocolate. ****4STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!****
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 11:31:20 am by memento »

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"N" is Necrosis (2009)
« Reply #6271 on: December 18, 2010, 05:29:00 pm »

In 2009, six friends arrive at an isolated cabin to enjoy a long weekend in the snow. An epic snowstorm interrupts their vacation, trapping them on the mountain and resurrecting the haunting ghosts of the Donner Party. But, are they true 'entities' or is it simply 'cabin fever' that brings out their fears and darkness, causing friends to turn against each other as reality deteriorates around them.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"O" is Oldboy (2003)
« Reply #6272 on: December 20, 2010, 11:08:33 pm »
Original title:  Oldeuboi

From IMDb:  An average man is kidnapped and imprisoned in a shabby cell for 15 years without explanation. He then is released, equipped with money, a cellphone and expensive clothes. As he strives to explain his imprisonment and get his revenge, he soon finds out that not only does his kidnapper still have plans for him, but that those plans will serve as the even worse finale to 15 years of imprisonment.

Plot keywords include:  Snow | Snowing
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHhRgBcVYeQ[/youtube]

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"P" is The Polar Express (2004)
« Reply #6273 on: December 21, 2010, 11:38:28 am »

IMDB: I have to say that I adored 'The Polar Express'. It was just the sort of film I needed to truly get me into the Christmas mood. The story revolves around a young boy, who is coming to an age where he is doubting Santa Claus' existence, until the Polar Express- a magical train destined for the North Pole- takes him and a group of other young children on a journey to Santa and to reaffirm their faith in Christmas.

I had reservations about the use of CGI animation since I felt it really only worked for stories about cute animals but having seen the film, the CGI was the best way to capture the spirit of the film. It really wouldn't have worked as well in live action, the sense of other-worldly magic would have been lost. And as it was, the artwork was beautiful, especially the snowy mountainous scenery that the train passes through.

This film took me back to my childhood and that tingly-feeling every child gets on Christmas Eve in anticipation of Santa's visit. The story was sweet and innocent without being nauseating, and I think every one of us can empathise with the boy who wants to believe in Santa but is growing away from the innocence of early childhood and faith in magic. Much like Raymond Briggs' 'The Snowman', I predict 'The Polar Express' will go down as a Christmas classic. It certainly makes a pleasant change that this year's Christmas film was actually about Christmas and I hope they make the re-release of this film an annual Christmas event.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Wildcard "Q" is Hot Tub Time Machine (2010)
« Reply #6274 on: December 21, 2010, 01:48:42 pm »

IMDb:  Four guy friends, all of them bored with their adult lives, travel back to their respective 80s heydays thanks to a time-bending hot tub.

Keyword:  snow sports.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
"R" is Rendez-vous (1985)
« Reply #6275 on: December 30, 2010, 05:09:28 am »
This looks fascinating, and I'm sure snow is involved somehow because IMDB says so.   ::)

From http://www.festival-cannes.com/en/archives/ficheFilm/id/942/year/1985.html

Nina, young girl from the provinces discovering the capital, meets people by chance, and carries out apprenticeship of the theatre and love. Paulot first of all, reassuring figure of an ordinary man, solid as a rock. Then Quentin, a fallen actor tormented by a past drama, violent as lightning. Finally, Scutzler, an inflexible and exhausted director who chooses Nina, throws her on the stage. A revelation is born through these three meetings. But, it is with herself that Nina has an appointment.

"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"S" is Snowboarder (2003)
« Reply #6276 on: December 30, 2010, 09:29:29 pm »

From IMDb:  A young snowboarder with talent but no ambition, is introduced to the profession by a professional and Machiavellian snowboarder.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"T" is Together (2000)
« Reply #6277 on: December 31, 2010, 05:27:54 pm »

From IMDB:   Together is a story of human relationship. As one character says at one point in the film, "I'd rather eat porridge together than pork chops alone", and that is the recurring message throughout the film. Our story takes place in a commune in 1975, which is called, you guessed it, 'Together'. The commune serves as the crux of the movie; it's the centre of the film, and the people that inhabit it are what surrounds the central habitat. The film really starts when Elisabeth has a fight with her husband and leaves him, with the kids to live at the commune, which is owned by her brother; the far too kind, Goran. From there, the film just takes off; the multiple personalities that inhabit the commune are each allowed to grow and be nurtured by the audience, no one character is similar to another and they all have their own strengths and weaknesses. Just like he did in his masterpiece; Show Me Love, Lukas Moodysson creates characters here that are real and that we therefore are able to feel for and like for being people, as opposed to just because they're the central characters. It's this realism that gives Together its edge over most other human dramas, such as In America or Whale Rider.

plot keywords  Snow                        

=aside= players

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"U" is Un autre homme (2008)
« Reply #6278 on: December 31, 2010, 07:21:49 pm »
English title: Another Man

Psychological drama about a young, inexperienced film reviewer who falls for the charms of a well-established female colleague. A challenging look at the essence of film critique as well as an erotic encounter between two unequals... in Switzerland, where there is lots of SNOW.

Well, I'm starting the new year sick as a dog!  Damn my kissy family!  >:(

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/oilgun/ABC%20Movies/un-autre-homme-01.jpg

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"V" is Vals Im Bashir (2008)
« Reply #6279 on: January 03, 2011, 05:51:35 pm »
AKA Waltz with Bashir.  Vals Im Bashir is the original Israeli title.

IMDb:  One night at a bar, an old friend tells director Ari about a recurring nightmare in which he is chased by 26 vicious dogs. Every night, the same number of beasts. The two men conclude that there's a connection to their Israeli Army mission in the first Lebanon War of the early eighties. Ari is surprised that he can't remember a thing anymore about that period of his life. Intrigued by this riddle, he decides to meet and interview old friends and comrades around the world. He needs to discover the truth about that time and about himself. As Ari delves deeper and deeper into the mystery, his memory begins to creep up in surreal images.

Keyword:  snow

Interesting trivia:  Artist David Polonsky is right handed, but did most of the illustration for this film with his left hand, as he felt that his original drawing were 'too pretty.'