Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2533570 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: "P" is The Pumpkin Eater
« Reply #1260 on: November 07, 2007, 02:27:02 pm »

The Pawnbroker:
This was one of the first films to deal with the effects of Nazi Germany's concentration camps on their survivors. Sol Nazerman, operator of a pawn shop, and a concentration camp survivor faces a horrid internal conflict. Being engulfed in a New York ghetto Environment, Sol suffers flashbacks. The flashbacks juxtapose concentration camp treatment with ghetto neighborhood treatment. Although, the flashbacks suffer several historical inaccuracies, the point is well made. His internal conflicts between submitting to the same injustices he and his family suffered or resisting the injustice a peak at the end of the film  Written by Alexander Nicolas {[email protected]}

Rod Steiger was nominated for an Oscar.

And lost to Lee Marvin for Cat Ballou, if you can believe it. Another one of those Oscar travesties.

My mother saw this in the theater and was a wreck for days afterwards. I have seen bits and pieces, but never the whole thing. Another one to add to my list.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"V" is Viva Las Vegas
« Reply #1261 on: November 07, 2007, 02:28:18 pm »
==comment==

with Elvis, of course!

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Ellemeno

"W" is The World of Henry Orient
« Reply #1262 on: November 07, 2007, 02:29:12 pm »

I saw this movie a couple of years ago on the strong recommendation of DryToast, my IMDb buddy who introduced me to Brokeback Mountain.  If you remember New York City in the early 1960s, seeing this film will bring it flooding back.  Lots of lovely views of the streets of New York back then.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Wildcard X: That Man From Rio
« Reply #1263 on: November 07, 2007, 02:30:37 pm »
==comment==

They took all of the French classes from my school to see this movie in the theater, so it probably wasn't 1964...more like 1967. I can picture the scenes from this movie like it was yesterday, and even remember the last line, "Oh my, that sounds like quite an adventure!" (except it was said in French). Interesting trivia from IMDb: Unofficially, this movie was heavily influenced by the Belgian cartoonist, Hergé and the Tintin adventures which he authored. Many specific plot points can be traced directly to specific Tintin books, and the general pacing of the story and certain visuals are all clearly inspired by Hergé's work.

I had such a crush on Jean-Paul Belmondo after seeing this...sigh.

It also has very interesting scenes of the city of Brasilia being constructed. A brand new city, being built from the ground up.

This movie gets a 10 in my book. If you haven't seen it, you should. It's great!

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 06:22:37 pm by MaineWriter »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"Y" is Yellow Rolls-Royce, The
« Reply #1264 on: November 07, 2007, 02:56:28 pm »

Offline Ellemeno

"Z" is Zulu
« Reply #1265 on: November 07, 2007, 02:59:34 pm »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: ABCs at the Movies: Round 1963
« Reply #1266 on: November 07, 2007, 03:02:39 pm »
Time for another round!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: "Z" is Zulu
« Reply #1267 on: November 07, 2007, 03:12:30 pm »

My father's all time favorite movie, bar none!

I was just compiling the list for the archive and remembered that I saw "Father Goose" at Radio City Music Hall for the Christmas show, with the Rockettes!

L

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
"A" is All the Way Home
« Reply #1268 on: November 07, 2007, 04:10:43 pm »
Starring: Robert Preston and Jean Simmons

From IMDb:
In the early 1900's Tennessee, a loving family undergoes the shock of the father's sudden, accidental death. The widow and her young son must endure the heartache of life following the tragedy, but slowly rise up from the ashes to face the hope of renewed life.

Based on the Pulitzer prize winning novel:  A Death in the Family by James Agee

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"B" is Birds, The
« Reply #1269 on: November 07, 2007, 04:20:01 pm »
It was either this or "Bye Bye Birdie".

This film really scared me as a kid.