Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2533101 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"Q" is The Quiet Man
« Reply #1660 on: November 19, 2007, 06:44:29 pm »

==comment==
[imdb]:
Sean Thornton has returned from America to reclaim his homestead and escape his past. Sean's eye is caught by Mary Kate Danaher, a beautiful but poor maiden, and younger sister of ill-tempered "Red" Will Danaher. The riotous relationship that forms between Sean and Mary Kate, punctuated by Will's pugnacious attempts to keep them apart, form the main plot, with Sean's past as the dark undercurrent.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"R" is Road to Bali
« Reply #1661 on: November 19, 2007, 06:52:36 pm »
==comment==

The sixth Bing Crosby-Bob Hope "road" movie, the first one played in this game, and the only one ever filmed in Technicolor.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 09:07:54 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"S" is Singin' in the Rain
« Reply #1662 on: November 19, 2007, 07:38:39 pm »

=comment=

The movie is frequently described as one of the best musicals ever made, topping the AFI's 100 Years of Musicals list, and ranking fifth in its list of the greatest American films.  Donald O'Connor won the Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Musical.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: "S" is Singin' in the Rain
« Reply #1663 on: November 19, 2007, 08:01:52 pm »

=comment=

The movie is frequently described as one of the best musicals ever made, topping the AFI's 100 Years of Musicals list, and ranking fifth in its list of the greatest American films.  Donald O'Connor won the Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Musical.

Number #72 on the IMDb list, in the Top Five on my personal favorites list AND....

it will be on Turner Classic Movies on Wed Nov 21 at 8 pm (EST). So for those of you who don't own the DVD, here's your chance to see an absolutely wonderful movie that has really withstood the test of time....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"T" is Thunderbirds
« Reply #1664 on: November 19, 2007, 08:34:37 pm »
"The Fighting Thunderbirds,,,AND THE GALS WHO LOVE 'EM"!

Offline Ellemeno

"U" is Unter den tausend Laternen
« Reply #1665 on: November 19, 2007, 09:18:30 pm »
Under the Thousand Lanterns

From IMDb -

The plot: a young primadonna at a musical comedy stumbles upon murder - or is it murder? - and soon has to choose whether to blame the man she loves or to take the blame herself. Definitely worth a watch as moody yet slow moving crime story with some good music and singing. Fortunately no comedy involved to spoil the feeling of constant sadness and depression.

Oh yeah, I'd hate to spoil that feeling.... ;)

:laugh:

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"V" is Viva Zapata!
« Reply #1666 on: November 19, 2007, 09:46:57 pm »
==comment==

starring Marlon Brando

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"W" is Where's Charley?
« Reply #1667 on: November 20, 2007, 12:30:24 am »

Offline Ellemeno

"X" is Xavier Cugat and His Orchestra
« Reply #1668 on: November 20, 2007, 12:54:48 am »
I'd always heard that Desi Arnaz/Ricky Ricardo was a Xavier Cugat wannabe, so I decided to take a peek at YouTube.  Here are Cyd Charisse and Ricardo Montalban (as you've never seen him!) dancing, Xavier Cugat and his orchestra performing.  Watch Cyd, to me it looks like these are the very movements that Lucy imitates every time she sneaks herself into performing in one of Ricky's shows.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykivlKJQHWE[/youtube]

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: "X" is Xavier Cugat and His Orchestra
« Reply #1669 on: November 20, 2007, 02:29:28 am »
I'd always heard that Desi Arnaz/Ricky Ricardo was a Xavier Cugat wannabe, so I decided to take a peek at YouTube.  Here are Cyd Charisse and Ricardo Montalban (as you've never seen him!) dancing, Xavier Cugat and his orchestra performing.  Watch Cyd, to me it looks like these are the very movements that Lucy imitates every time she sneaks herself into performing in one of Ricky's shows.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykivlKJQHWE[/youtube]

Wow, who knew Ricardo Montalban had a Gene Kelly phase?  He rooks mahvelous!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...