Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2558591 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
"Z" is Zombie Holocaust (1980)
« Reply #1880 on: November 30, 2007, 12:39:02 am »

From Wikipedia:  Zombie Holocaust, also known as Zombie 3 and Doctor Butcher, M.D., is a 1980 Italian zombie movie, directed by Marino Girolami. It is a film about zombies and cannibals clashing on a south-east Asian island, a perfect example of the cult flicks (along with Hell of the Living Dead, Le Notti del terrore) that came to existence after the masterpieces (The Beyond, Zombi II) of the Italian zombie craze were released. Like its infamous counterparts, Zombie Holocaust also has a thinner budget and weaker script than Lucio Fulci's movies.

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: ABCs at the Movies: So Bad It's Good!
« Reply #1881 on: November 30, 2007, 05:42:31 am »

Thank you everybody for this glorious round! I have laughed so hard at some of your descriptions. What a cinematic chamber of horrors! And a special thanks goes to Leslie for the "V"! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Too bad, I saw this too late. Could have added one or two ghastly flicks as well...  ;D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1882 on: November 30, 2007, 07:27:21 am »
Thank you, Anke! That was a fun round.

Note to all players: if you have any ideas for special rounds, please send them to me. I think as we go further back in history, and the movies become more obscure, the special rounds help to keep things lively!

Leslie
GameMistress
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1883 on: November 30, 2007, 07:27:38 am »
And without further ado, let's move on to....
Round 1946!

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

"A" is Angel on my Shoulder
« Reply #1884 on: November 30, 2007, 08:59:30 am »

==COMMENT re:  Last Round==

That WAS a fun round!  The winner has to be the movie about the possessed piƱata!  :laugh:  I'm dying to see that one!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"B" is Belle et la Bete, La
« Reply #1885 on: November 30, 2007, 09:03:20 am »
Jean Cocteau's masterpiece.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Aside: Comment
« Reply #1886 on: November 30, 2007, 09:07:30 am »
Hi everyone,

As I was updating the archive, I found out that "Jaws: The Revenge" had already been played. Oops! So I changed my J movie from the last round, if anyone wants to look.

Leslie
GM

Offline oilgun

Re: Aside: Comment
« Reply #1887 on: November 30, 2007, 09:11:23 am »
Hi everyone,

As I was updating the archive, I found out that "Jaws: The Revenge" had already been played. Oops! So I changed my J movie from the last round, if anyone wants to look.

Leslie
GM

I don't feel so bad now,  I had to change THREE of my selections for that very reason!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"C" is Centennial Summer
« Reply #1888 on: November 30, 2007, 09:35:21 am »
==comment==

It was hard to find a picture, just like the movie itself is hard to find! I am posting a long comment from IMDb, which I thought was interesting.

If remembered at all, "Centennial Summer" is generally dismissed as 20th-Century-Fox's failed attempt to copy "Meet Me in St. Louis."

I'd like to set the record straight, and urge Fox to release this neglected treasure on VHS, DVD, cable-TV, whatever, so today's movie-lovers can savor one of the most endearing, original, lovingly crafted musicals ever made.

This lavish Technicolored production is indeed a visual knockout, but what truly matters is so much more than its dazzling visuals. Set against the 1876 Philadelphia Exposition, this exquisitely designed valentine to a bygone era focuses on a suburban middle-class family's troubles and turmoils, highlighted by Jerome Kern's final (and one of his finest) scores.

Jeanne Crain and Linda Darnell are the daughters of railroad/laborer aspiring/inventor Walter Brennan and his understanding wife, the lovely Dorothy Gish in one of her rare film appearances. Their humdrum lives are sparked by the arrival of a glamorous Parisian relative (the dazzling Constance Bennett)and a dashing young French man (Cornel Wilde) in charge of setting up his country's exhibition at the Centennial.

That's the plot, and it's a more-than-sufficient frame for a charming, low-keyed, often surprisingly moving dramatization of a family in crisis. Ms. Crain & Ms. Darnell are heartbreakingly beautiful as the sibling rivals in romance; Otto Preminger's direction is subtle and refreshingly modest; and though none of Kern's songs became hits, the underrated score includes some of the loveliest ballads ever written--Listen closely to the melodic "The Right Romance," "In Love in Vain" and "All Through the Day." "Up with the Lark" is as captivating, tuneful, brilliantly photographed and sung a showstopper as one could wish for. And the rousing "Railroad Song," plus an unexpected diversion "Cinderella Sue" (performed by Avon Long and several black children, sans one iota of the racial condescension typical of films of its era) are two more rousing highlights.

The cast is uniformly superb (Ms. Crain's plaintive beauty and heartfelt sincerity set the screen aglow; William Eythe, a talented, appealing actor whose life and career were tragically short, adds a special poignancy as Ms. Darnell's spurned suitor), the production design exquisite, and the screenplay (based on a long-forgotten novel) will touch you in ways you wouldn't expect from a movie musical.

"Centennial Summer" deserves stature as one of the finest musicals of all time. That few people have even heard of it, much less seen it, is sad indeed. It deserves to be revived, re-evaluated and cherished for the work of art it most certainly is.

written by: sdiner82 ([email protected]) from New York City, USA

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
"D" is Diary of a Chambermaid
« Reply #1889 on: November 30, 2007, 09:56:51 am »