Author Topic: What did you love before Brokeback Mountain?  (Read 9280 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
What did you love before Brokeback Mountain?
« on: October 10, 2007, 10:48:08 pm »
Brokeback Mountain is my first obsession...really!! What was yours??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: What did you love before Brokeback Mountain?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 12:57:06 am »
I loved, absolutely loved, the Showtime series Dead Like Me, which only ran for two seasons.  It was a clever show about death -- with grim reapers living among the living -- and very funny, too. 

I found a couple of Dead Like Me message boards online, where I would lurk, because I couldn't get enough of the show.  It remains my favorite cable series because, unlike The Sopranos (my second favorite), every show was great.  I still can't believe it wasn't renewed for a third season, but at least Seasons 1 and 2 are out on DVD.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLXQDU7DP-A[/youtube]

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 01:47:50 am »
I picked Star Trek because I was a huge fan of The Next Generation, but I've never had an obsession like Brokeback Mountain.  I've had hobbies - soccer, skiing, concerts, but nothing has ever grabbed me and turned my life upside down before this.  Hell, I didn't even know there were such things as fandom and slash before joining the internet community here!  ::)  Musta been living under a rock!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Dagi

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 06:19:46 am »
I was quite obsessed with Maurice, watched it over and over again, read the novel about 17 times, absorbing every word, until I almost knew it by heart...and yet it was nothing compared to what came after that... ::)

Dagi

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 08:50:19 am »
I absolute loved (and still love) the Lord of the Rings movies, books, and actors.  I think they among the best movies ever made.  The detail involved in everything from what the actors wore to the floors, walls and ceilings of the different buildings and locations they used over the 18 months or so it took to make these movies never ceases to amaze me.

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 11:06:53 pm »
I too loved the Lord of the Rings movies and books, but I love the Harry Potter films and books too.

My last big obsession though was HBO's Six Feet Under  ;D
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 11:17:30 pm »

I loved movies all my life..My first memory of anything other than family was going to the
movie.  My mother would take me with her when I was probably only two or three.  I remember, the sparkle of the silver screen..The sequins making sparks and the beautiful wardrobes of the
elegant women..I fell in love ...with movies..All thru my teen years, we lived way out in the country, and five miles from the nearest friend..I only got to go and see them when I started to drive..Fortunately my parents trusted me to drive before I got a license.
             But I digress.  That is a time I spent watching our new television..hour upon hour...and guess what was on there...?Old movies.  American and English...I was in love again...I cant say whic h one was my favorite for sure, but i guess It was probably Gone with the Wind.  And Streetcar Named Desire, and East of Eden...But none of them gave me the obsession that I got.  Oh these many years later from Brokeback Mountain...

Having said all of that..I did have a true OBSESSION with pool....I spent 8 to 12 hrs
a day practicing and playing...but alas that time is over...

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 11:26:40 pm »
Gone With The Wind is definately one of my favorites too, Janice.

I also love Titanic:D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 11:36:37 pm »
I too loved the Lord of the Rings movies and books, but I love the Harry Potter films and books too.

My last big obsession though was HBO's Six Feet Under  ;D

I love Six Feet Under Dottie. I thought they did an excellent job portraying the gay community in a very positive way. David and Keith were two of my favorite characters. I also loved Claire. I keep hoping I'll see Lauren Ambrose acting again someday. She is an excellent actress. Nate (Peter Krause) was a total hunk.  And Federico (Freddy Rodriguez) was so damn cute!!  :D

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 11:54:16 pm »

Previous obsessions include:

Moulin Rouge 

Yee-haw.  Me too!   :D

Offline Toast

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 07:29:54 am »
I had a mild infatuation with the films Field of Dreams and with Breaking Away but the only thing that came near to my Brokeback Mountain obsession is the British mini-series from the 1980s based on Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited.  I loved the book as well as the soundtrack recording and the twelve hours of staggering beauty.   Following the careers of the two stars was interesting too.

But Brokeback got me good - the novella, the screenplays, the soundtrack and of course the movie.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 02:16:33 pm »
Great poll!  I don't know how I overlooked it for so long.

Of the list provided... I totally love Monty Python, but I'm definitely not obsessed with them or a real afficionado (I know some folks get really in to analyzing all the details and memorizing all sorts of factoids, etc.... I just like watching and enjoying).

So, I voted for "other."  Because the one thing that's consumed most of my time and energy in terms of interest in a cultural phenomenon or cultural figure... is David Bowie.  I've been a Bowie fan since I was 12 at about the same level of intensity that I'm a Brokie now.  I go through cycles of phases of intensity where Bowie is concerned.  Sometimes it's all I can think about and other times it's sort of on the back burner.  Since BBM and BetterMost have come into my life, I've been a bit distracted from my Bowie-ness for sure... so I'm sort of in Bowie-back-burner mode lately.
 ;D :laugh:

Anyway, I used to be involved in two different Bowie online communities pretty significantly.  But, I grew a bit jaded about both of those old websites and am no longer active at either.  My screenname was very different from my Brokie screenname is now.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline BelAir

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 06:25:01 pm »
I have loved other movies and t.v. shows, but nothing has maintained my interest for almost 2 years straight...  and no other movie have I thought about as much, no other movie did I fall asleep/wake-up with nothing other than the characters on my mind for weeks...  more simply, ain't nothing else caused a fever like Brokeback did.

I did use to watch Alias fanactically, and follow some of the online boards... but the online stuff was really only to occupy my time at a night job I had.  And I bailed and didn't watch hardly any of the last season.

The only other movies I saw multiple times in the theater were Titanic, The Fugitive, and Pulp Fiction...  and that was more for entertainment purposes... not cause I needed to 'sort through things' or 'figure things out.'
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 10:38:15 pm »
Always and forever:

I've been a geek of and have followed for years and years Star Trek and The X-Files and now BBM, but nothing has come close to the Star Wars movies.  I very very much liked the Old Trilogy.  I hold up The Empire Strikes Back as one of the best sci-fi/fantasy movies ever made.  But, who wouldn't like the Old Trilogy?  They are the underdogs, the good guys against incredible odds, Sticking it to the Man feel-good movies.  We have sexy bad boy pirates, spunky princesses, farm boys becoming men and making good, evil guys in black.

But being contrary as usual, though the Prequel Trilogy has immense weaknesses in plot and acting and direction and the movies are scorned by fans and non-fans alike, I found the Prequel movies more interesting and intriguing.

What you have is more complicated.  You find a series of movies where the universe isn't black and white.  Where people you thought were good and could trust really aren't or they change.  A series of movies where 'good' guys fall to weaknesses and become the epitome of evil, intelligent young women make bad personal choices (a classic "Why smart women make stupid decisions"), friends are betrayed, good guys struggle against the bad, trying to hold things together and stick to the law and their honor when the bad guys have no such compunctions, just to find out they were all duped into a trap that left the good guys no way out with tragic consequences for them and the entire galaxy.

I read official' books and comics and read and write fan fiction about the Old Republic and its characters and situations.

Guess I'm more interested in tragedies.  8)

Offline BelAir

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 10:45:52 pm »
re: star wars...

my issue (if you can even call it that) isn't with the plot/storyline of the prequel, but the movies don't seem as well acted to me...  what do you think dellaluvia? 

I must also confess, this is a situation where I am not sure if it's just that the initial Star Wars is a part of my childhood, such maybe what doesn't ring as true for me is actually something to do with me, rather than the movies themselves...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 01:18:27 am »
re: star wars...

my issue (if you can even call it that) isn't with the plot/storyline of the prequel, but the movies don't seem as well acted to me...  what do you think dellaluvia?

The only acting/actors that fell down IMO were Hayden Christensen, Jake Lloyd and Natalie Portman (and I love Natalie Portman).  Unfortunately, they all held major roles.  All the other supporting actors were very good, despite the material.  The acting in the original trilogy was just as wooden as their performances - Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford especially - but they had somewhat better dialogue.

I must also confess, this is a situation where I am not sure if it's just that the initial Star Wars is a part of my childhood, such maybe what doesn't ring as true for me is actually something to do with me, rather than the movies themselves...

That's up for you to decide Bel.   ;D  Many people were disappointed with the Prequel Trilogy, but perhaps for some, they were expecting more of the same as the Old Trilogy and were unhappy that they weren't as uplifting/light-hearted.

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 09:32:02 am »
..this should be obvious to anyone over the age of two...
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 11:38:06 am »

i too was obsessed by Titanic.  to the degree, it was the first movie I ever went back to the
theatre and saw more thn one time... Like David it was more to do with the facination on the feeling
of being on that ship..The authenticity of the set and the realistic special effects..  also like David it
was more to do with the visuals than the story ine.  However the death of the boy was a strong
point for me.  The overwhelming sadness for that....Was highly emotional..However i did not go out
and purchase the cd, or the movie dvd..  I have never watched it since the theatre viewings...
          To compare those two is tobe unaccomplished.  However the death part is becoming a pattern.

Beautiful mind

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 04:43:55 pm »
BBM is the first movie I have ever had an obsession with.  I have loved other movies but not to the point of watching it day after day, sometimes twice a day for months on end.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 06:06:05 pm »
Buffy.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 06:11:08 pm »
For a short period Hair, mostly for the music.

Both before and after West Wing but that is not anything like BBm. Nothing is like BBM......
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 12:22:10 pm »
I've never been obsessed with a movie like I have with BBM.

But there are some movies, if I happen to come upon while surfing the TV channels, that I will always watch, no matter how many times I have seen them before.....Tombstone, Grease, Shawshank Redemption are probably the top three that I have seen over and over again......oh and another favourite I have seen many times is Toy Story.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 01:47:10 pm »
With BbM  it was love/obsession at first sight, which is sooo unlike me. I didn't know what the hell was happening to me. I kind of don't know even now, almost three years later, but whatever it is it has brought me good. I had never been obsessed with a movie/story before, never mind to that extent ...

Although to a smaller scale I am currently  having an obsession with an episode of Cold Case "Forever Blue", which I saw for the first time approximately a month ago, a short story but all the same a masterpiece in its own right.   A love story between two cops. It reminds me of BbM.
BbM, I swear

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 02:00:58 pm »
Buffy.

I like Buffy too Kelda. I have seasons 1-4 on DVD. I've been meaning to buy the remaining seasons but so far I haven't done it.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 02:08:11 pm »
I like Buffy too Kelda. I have seasons 1-4 on DVD. I've been meaning to buy the remaining seasons but so far I haven't done it.

My flatmate got me into it, shes more a science fictiony type than me, Buffy is the only one of that genre Ive got into. I think its the Joss Whedon comedy.

I have all seven seasons!  ;D
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/