Author Topic: Which lighthouse is NOT in Maine? ***ANSWER POSTED***  (Read 5927 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Which lighthouse is NOT in Maine? ***ANSWER POSTED***
« on: October 13, 2007, 09:08:47 am »
Here are pictures of four famous lighthouses. Which one is NOT in Maine?
I'll post the answer on Monday, October 15 at 5 pm EDT.

Lighthouse A

Lighthouse B

Lighthouse C

Lighthouse D

« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 05:05:39 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Which lighthouse is NOT in Maine?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 10:26:14 am »
I guessed "C".

My favorite one is "A". Are there tours?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 10:30:48 am »
I guessed "C".

My favorite one is "A". Are there tours?

You don't really "tour" a lighthouse. You walk around and take pictures. Lighthouse A has a nice little museum in the old keeper's house.

I have been to all four of these lighthouses, btw.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 10:41:32 am »
Ah, the rocky coast of Maine. Most of these photos have that...  No Cape Hatteras or Cape Cod lighthouses (sandy shores) here.

B looks like a classic Maine lighthouse. 

I will go with D.   

C has the evergreens in the background which I always associate with the Maine coast. I've been there many times as I used to live in that part of the country. Love a lobster roll at the Portland lighthouse. Delicious.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 01:55:36 pm »
Lighthouse B looks Canadian. It almost looks like a lighthouse in Quebec or New Brunswick or Nova Scotia. I don't know why. The architecture maybe?  ???
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 02:17:58 pm »
I vote for litehouse C, da water is on the wrong side
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 02:41:10 pm »
I have no idea but Ill take a guess.  Lighthouse D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 06:01:38 am »
Any more guesses? I'll post the answer this afternoon!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Which lighthouse is NOT in Maine? ***ANSWER POSTED***
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 04:39:37 pm »
As promised, here is the answer...Lighthouse C, the Head Harbor Light, also known as East Quoddy Head Light, is located on Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada.

A little history of this lovely lighthouse: The Head Harbour Lighthouse has a long history as an aid to navigation in the Bay of Fundy and Passamaquoddy Bay. It is located at the northern extremity of Campobello Island, which is the largest of a number of islands in the area of Passamaquoddy Bay near the Maine-New Brunswick border. The light is known to local residents as "East Quoddy Light.” The tower's wooden, shingle clad exterior is painted white with a distinctive red cross. The 51' octagonal structure is tapered. It was built in 1829 using heavy timber; the original lantern was replaced by the current cast iron model in 1887. The distinctive daymark in the form of a red cross has been on the tower at least since Confederation. The principal decorative touches are the flared cornice supporting the lantern base and the shaped hoods over the windows which have been placed on all but one of the faces of the tower. The tower is attached by a covered walkway to the dwelling, and it is also accessible from outside by a door on the southwest side. The stone foundation has been covered by cement. While the structure has been reshingled and painted many times, and the daymark extended to all elevations, photographs show that since 1902, at least, the appearance of the tower has changed very little.

History from: http://www.campobello.com/east.html

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 04:42:30 pm »
And for the other three, all located in Maine...

Lighthouse A is the East Quoddy Head Lighthouse. Thomas Jefferson signed the order in 1806 authorizing construction of a lighthouse at West Quoddy. The tower was finished in 1808, and guided ships through the Quoddy Narrows, between the U.S. and Canada, until 1858 when it was replaced with the current tower and keeper's house.

The lantern is fitted with a third-order fresnel lens. The distinctive red and white bands make this light picturesque and a popular photographic choice for calendars and commercials.

The light is located in Quoddy Head State Park, as far east as you can drive in the U.S.

History from: http://www.lighthousegetaway.com/lights/maine8.html