Author Topic: Gay Marriage  (Read 16101 times)

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
Gay Marriage
« on: October 14, 2007, 01:00:33 pm »
Hey All, I have had several people inquire about my gay marriage (Canadian) so I thought I would open up a discussion topic and see if there was any further interest in the subject discussion. I will say it becomes multi-layered and complex once ya cross the border back to the US

TampaTalon ^">

"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

injest

Re: Gay Marriage
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 01:11:49 pm »
Hi Tampalian..

We haven't met. Can you tell us about your marriage? How long have you been married? You live in Canada?

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 02:01:41 pm »
Hey Injest, Actually I am from Tampa Florida. My partner and I of 30 years have been watching the marriage issues throughout the US for several years. The issues in the US are extremely multi-layered and vary from State to State. We decided to "tie the knot" in Niagara Falls Canada on our 30th Aniversery. We stayed at a beautiful Victorian Bed & Breakfast run by two lesbians very near the Falls. After obtaining the license we had a beautiful ceremony in the Gardens of the home by a Unitarian Deacon. In Canada same-sex marriage is on equal footing with strait marriage, no restrictions so we "went for it". Unfortunately back here in Florida there is no legal status; but we have our eyes turned Northward for retirement in a bout 15 years.
Thank you Canada!

TampaTalon ^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 02:06:51 pm »
How does it become multi-layered once you cross the border? I thought it would just be ignored and have no validity in the U.S.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 03:18:02 pm »
The marriage is ignored in about 41 States and the Federal Government; However it is honored in Massachuset and New Jersey. New Jersey and California have the most complete Civil Union /Domestic Partner Laws which include in California rights to the remains after death. California does not acknowledge the Canadian liicense and one most register under California Domestic Partner Law. The State of New York several years ago began honoring the license for some government domestic partner benefits. By layers, I mean it gets complicated depending where you live as to what it actually means. If ya get married in Canada, move to California and register as a domestic partner more complications. Now then, filing State and Federal Income Tax becomes another whole issue and so does divorce. And a post script, I cannot marry a woman in Florida if I wanted, I am married and bigamy is against the law.
 Yi yi yi
TampaTalon ^">

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 03:27:04 pm »
And a post script, I cannot marry a woman in Florida if I wanted, I am married and bigamy is against the law.
 Yi yi yi
TampaTalon ^">

Now that is just weird, they won;t accept your marriage but if you try to play by their rules they see an opportunity to label you a bigamist. Sounds like an opportunity for a court challange. (no I'm not up to it.)

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 03:51:58 pm »
The marriage is ignored in about 41 States and the Federal Government; However it is honored in Massachuset and New Jersey. New Jersey and California have the most complete Civil Union /Domestic Partner Laws which include in California rights to the remains after death. California does not acknowledge the Canadian liicense and one most register under California Domestic Partner Law. The State of New York several years ago began honoring the license for some government domestic partner benefits. By layers, I mean it gets complicated depending where you live as to what it actually means. If ya get married in Canada, move to California and register as a domestic partner more complications. Now then, filing State and Federal Income Tax becomes another whole issue and so does divorce. And a post script, I cannot marry a woman in Florida if I wanted, I am married and bigamy is against the law.
 Yi yi yi
TampaTalon ^">

Thanks for the info!   ...you have information that I did not have. Let me see if I understand what you are saying :  Mass , NJ, and Ca will honor your civil marriage from Canada? This is really interesting because to my knowledge at this time there are no states or localities where same sex unions for US adults, requesting a US state issued license, is not under court challenge..therefore not yet legal. The "twist" in your case seems to be that you had the foresight to get the license in Canada. Congrats to you! Boo to US laws, so some US states will recognize foreign same sex unions, while still rejecting US same sex unions! Well, it is a step in the right direction! I have this to say to the homophobes who continue to deny our rights as Americans to marry in America the partner of our choice.... quoting Joe Aguirre, "Get out of my fucking trailer!"

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 03:54:49 pm »
Now that is just weird, they won;t accept your marriage but if you try to play by their rules they see an opportunity to label you a bigamist. Sounds like an opportunity for a court challange. (no I'm not up to it.)

<smiile> Can't lie at the Courthouse fer sure. Being in an ignore the license State does present opportunity for certain tax advantages though in the opposite direction much to my chagrin.

TampaTalon ^">

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 07:28:45 pm »
Even if I am a gay man in an somewhat democratic country, this subject scared me at first!!

Now, am looking forward to such!! May I find him!!

My former partner, I guess, thought of such asking for us to have rings. But, I refused... unfortunately or fortunately!!

Hugs!

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 07:02:28 pm »
I think that gay marriages, legal ones, will save gay lives!!

Hopefully!! ??

Hugs!!