Author Topic: Gay Marriage  (Read 15986 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Gay Marriage
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2007, 05:08:42 pm »
Brokeplex and Artiste, Your comments are excellent. There are also other ways to advocate gay marriage in everyday life. First step as my husband and I did was to go to Canada and become legally married. Once back in Florida our subtle struggle began and we continue the fight changing were possible one mind at a time. In the fall of 2008 the Florida Marriage Admendment will hit the ballot defining Marriage as between a man and a woman. I call it the Admendment of hate and discrimination as it goes further to ban Civil Union and Domestic Partnership. It will most likely strip Domestic Partner Insurance and Benefits to government workers and univeristies as it has in Michigan and Ohio. But back to our struggle. I decided at work I was not goning to "Ennis" myself behind whispers and remarks, I just came out with it and wear my wedding band everywhere. After the intial shock rumbled thru both work campuses, they decided to throw a reception and it went well. Eventially people who were resistant to this concept of marriage settled back into normalcy when they saw the world did not turn upside down. We also put each other as spouse or next of kin when filliing out paperwork. Usually we are then approached with curiosity and nothing more. We do not sport the fact we are married no more than a strait couple unless asked or are in one of these above situations but we feel that if we change a few minds by being a good example, we have accomplished the world. Maybe it will stop a few more people from voting for discrimination in Florida 2008

TampaTalon ^">

What an excellent post. You are on the front lines! You are right, this really is a battle of changing one mind at a time. I would add that it is also a task of healing one heart at a time. If a consensus is reached in an area, municipality, county, or state, then there is a much higher likelihood that those voters in that area wil support Same Sex Marriage. My hope is that eventually, SSM comes to a vote in the various jurisdictions around the country. It will fail in some areas and pass in others. But in the regions where SSM is passed by the voters, it becomes much safer from recension by groups like the religious conservatives.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2007, 05:16:23 pm »
Thanks very mcuh tampatalon!

Your comment and details are so warm and precious to me! And surely to others! Even straights will understand that, and you both too!!  It could be that you will also SAVE lives of those who want, fear or destroy gay life or living!! Your life carries on beautifully in wondrous ways, that way!

As I remember the Montreal Salon organiser two years ago, she asked me in front of persons if I was gay and she got yes from me... in a way, as she said that she felt that I was open to that! She added that she knew of gays in her life and that she accepted that! But I had a hard time to her next question... which disrupted my friendship with my long time gay buddy (Ronald), unfortunately!

And this year, her helper... surprised me a lot! He came to get her paintings in the gallery where I was exhibiting my paintings I created... but he was wearing high heel shoes like a lady. So I was puzzled! And at another time, I did ask him a question.

One never knows another persons sexual preference? !!

Like you say, curiosity in your cherished milieu was accepted... eventually! Pray that is so in another milieu? I heard of others... gladly!

More of your life? Gay mariage... and help!! Please...

hugs!

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2007, 06:28:32 pm »
Artiste, Here is a little story that is funny and amusing. My precription card at work has me printed on as member 01 but my husband is NOT listed on the card but is member 02. I have asked for a card with his name on it because when he needs a prescription he is not on the printed card so I have to explain to the drugstore that we are gay. The precription card company computer system is not equiped to handle the domestic partner designation. I explained it to my employer that we should not have to declare our sexual relationship at the drugstore and they can not fix it.
So for now, "Hey we are gay and need this prescription filled".......LOL

TampaTalon ^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Artiste

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2007, 08:19:37 pm »
I read that tampatalon!

Will they ever add the two names  (yours and his) on each card??

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2007, 10:54:00 pm »
Artiste, Here is a little story that is funny and amusing. My precription card at work has me printed on as member 01 but my husband is NOT listed on the card but is member 02. I have asked for a card with his name on it because when he needs a prescription he is not on the printed card so I have to explain to the drugstore that we are gay. The precription card company computer system is not equiped to handle the domestic partner designation. I explained it to my employer that we should not have to declare our sexual relationship at the drugstore and they can not fix it.
So for now, "Hey we are gay and need this prescription filled".......LOL

TampaTalon ^">

thanks Tampa for sharing that, I think as society adjusts to out relationships and marriages there will be many such moments. My hope is that times will be different for the generations ahead and all of our "adjustment" issues will just be historical for them.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2007, 11:31:49 am »
Yes, que sera, sera, whatever will be will be, as the song say!!

Us gay men must try in many ways to have gay marriages!!

And have that and much more be accepted by all persons!!

I think that we must also elaborate more on the values of gay marriages, here on Bettermost?

Hugs!!

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2007, 01:17:51 pm »
thanks Tampa for sharing that, I think as society adjusts to out relationships and marriages there will be many such moments. My hope is that times will be different for the generations ahead and all of our "adjustment" issues will just be historical for them.
Those that came before us got us this far and it seems ta me that it is a "right of passage" that
we now bare the responsibilty of carrying the torch.

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Artiste

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2007, 05:10:42 pm »
I like your flame of freedom tampatalon!

May we all do so too like you!

Any more info?

Hugs!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2007, 05:45:36 pm »

The cards obviously need to have a designation...spouse..or dependant   .good enough........no gay no wife. nada...

Beautiful mind

Offline Artiste

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 05:54:45 pm »
Is spouse theword? How many words can be used?

Maybe we can use another word: like partner??

Hugs!