Author Topic: Damn you, dozy embrace scene...  (Read 9592 times)

mvansand76

Damn you, dozy embrace scene...
« on: October 14, 2007, 04:08:19 pm »
There I go again.... I watched the dozy embrace again after months and this time, this little detail just blew me away...

That little head nod Jack does after Ennis says "I gotta go..."

:'(

God, can you guys believe it, I am soooo angry at Ennis suddenly! I have never been as mad at Ennis as I am right now.
Poor, poor Jack, what a loving soul...

BTW- the camera angle when we see Ennis mount his horse is so unique, behind Jack's back.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Damn you, dozy embrace scene...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 10:11:04 pm »

I never understand this feeling that people get..Being so mad at Ennis.  Ennis was no less
loving and caring than Jack..He was introverted and afraid.  He was very loving with his animals \
and his girls..because that was an accepted love by society.  He was applauded and shown
favor by those loves.
        He was deathly afraid to show Jack love.  He was afraid of the consequences..It was so
dire, that he wouldnt even let himself admit his feelings.  It was not that he didnt have them.

Beautiful mind

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 10:33:41 pm »

I never understand this feeling that people get..Being so mad at Ennis.  Ennis was no less
loving and caring than Jack..He was introverted and afraid.  He was very loving with his animals \
and his girls..because that was an accepted love by society.  He was applauded and shown
favor by those loves.
        He was deathly afraid to show Jack love.  He was afraid of the consequences..It was so
dire, that he wouldnt even let himself admit his feelings.  It was not that he didnt have them.

Exactly, it is difficult for anyone who has not lived in the fear that Ennis constantly lived in to understand how closed off he was to expressing his real feelings. He was locked inside a prison built for him by a culture that rejected his true self. Remember the camping trip the boys took in 1977, while Ennis is washing up the dishes, he confides in Jack his paranoia, his fear of his true nature being discovered. His fears were independent of Jack's presence, they were a constant companion. And he hated himself for his feelings. Remember the fight he got in with the roughneck Thanksgiving night after assaulting Alma while she was washing up the dishes. He hated himself so much that he punished himself by deliberately getting into a fight with a man that could easily, "wipe the floor" with Ennis. Why did he grab Alma's arm and bruise her? Because she was exposing his true self, his feelings for Jack. In his mind he couldn't afford to allow even that brief exposure without a harsh response. Ennis felt so guilty. I do not like the way that Ennis treated Alma or Jack. But, Ennis could imagine no other life for himself than the one he had. When Jack suggested that Ennis come to Texas, Ennis couldn't even imagine doing that.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 11:25:50 pm »
There I go again.... I watched the dozy embrace again after months and this time, this little detail just blew me away...

That little head nod Jack does after Ennis says "I gotta go..."

God, can you guys believe it, I am soooo angry at Ennis suddenly! I have never been as mad at Ennis as I am right now.
Poor, poor Jack, what a loving soul...

BTW- the camera angle when we see Ennis mount his horse is so unique, behind Jack's back.

Aww!! Mel...  :-* :-*

I know how you feel.  The dozy embrace and even the music that goes with the dozy embrace on the soundtrack get me really emotional every time.  No matter how many times I see the movie, that moment is always overwhelming.  I agree that the little tiny gestures, like the head nod, etc. really make the scene poignant.  And, I've always heard that line "see you in the morning" as both really ominous and really sweet.  It's soooooooo significant because this is the last thing we ever actually hear the boys say to one another during the film (or Ennis saying to Jack... I guess the head nod is Jack's last communication with Ennis).

favor by those loves.

I think it's OK to feel angry at Ennis at times.  It doesn't mean we don't have sympathy for him if we feel frustration with him in certain scenes... And we can still love his character even if we get angry with him over certain issues.  Heck, we know Jack went through this himself... being frustrated but still loving Ennis and occasionally getting angry.

I do get angry at Ennis for being so reserved with Jack, etc.  Ennis's fear at showing his love for Jack is immensely harsh on Jack I think.  I feel  sorry for Jack for the way his character keeps getting his hopes dashed and yet keeps coming back (the most extreme example being the post-divorce fiasco).

At the same time, it's also OK to feel frustration with Jack too.  The idea to go and surprise Ennis following the divorce was probably poor judgment (but his excitement and hope probably got the better of him) and I think his timing was poor when he raised the issue of the cow and calf operation during the reunion.  I think Jack was moving a little too fast here... I mean they had just gotten back together.  I always sort of wish the Jack would hold off for a while with the cow and calf proposal.

While I do like to always try to strike a balance when considering and analyzing these two characters, I'll admit I often find myself being more frustrated with Ennis than Jack, even though I understand where Ennis's own pain and issues are coming from.  I think this also has something to do with Ennis being the protagonist...  I think we're actually meant to analyze Ennis in a different way than we are Jack.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline KristinDaBomb

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 12:39:42 am »
I am not mad at him when I watch that scene. What I am is heartbroken. Because you can tell how much Ennis loves Jack but he is in constant fear and can't act on it. I always find that scene and the fight before it so heartbreaking.
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 12:44:04 am »
I am not mad at him when I watch that scene. What I am is heartbroken. Because you can tell how much Ennis loves Jack but he is in constant fear and can't act on it. I always find that scene and the fight before it so heartbreaking.

Thats exactly what it is Kristin.   Heartbreaking.  I cry every time I watch it.  :'(

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 10:21:56 am »
Well, yes, it's not necessarily the dozy embrace scene where I find myself feeling frustrated or angry with Ennis.  This happens for me most profoundly I think during the post-divorce scene.

But, with the dozy embrace scene... aside from the feeling of heartbreak... I feel really frustrated at realizing how much potential these two guys had at having an amazing relationship and then realizing how messed up everything becomes later in their lives.  I get frustrated at thinking about the lost potential amd lost time that occurs between them after the '63 summer.  It's also frustrating that this is yet another instance of them saying good bye to one another and Ennis riding away.  It's like the beginning of a tragic pattern.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 01:35:57 pm »
I could never be mad at Ennis because I can so closely relate to him.
I know the constant fear he lived with. Always wondering if anyone knows or will find out.
It's a paranoia beyond compare. It's like building a mansion of cards around somthing you don't want anyone to see.
You are constantly lookin for and fearing any breeze that could wreck your efforts.
It's a balancing act that unless you have been there you can not possibly understand.
Ennis was at war with himself. He loved Jack so much but couldn't express it like Jack wanted him to or like even he himself wanted to.
We see glimpses of his love (the reunion scene, Dozy Embrace) and of His fear (It ain't gonna be that way, Almat Thanksgiving and the farewell scene by the lake).
But at the end in Jacks Closet and when He swears, we see the depth of his love and loss.
My heart breaks for Ennis. :'(
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

mvansand76

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 01:56:42 pm »
Well, yes, it's not necessarily the dozy embrace scene where I find myself feeling frustrated or angry with Ennis.  This happens for me most profoundly I think during the post-divorce scene.

But, with the dozy embrace scene... aside from the feeling of heartbreak... I feel really frustrated at realizing how much potential these two guys had at having an amazing relationship and then realizing how messed up everything becomes later in their lives.  I get frustrated at thinking about the lost potential amd lost time that occurs between them after the '63 summer.  It's also frustrating that this is yet another instance of them saying good bye to one another and Ennis riding away.  It's like the beginning of a tragic pattern.

Oh thank you Amanda, for voicing exactly what I was thinking! You're so good at that!  :-*
That, I think is also the reason why that scene is there in the first place, to show us once again what they missed out on...

God, now I'm crying AGAIN!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 02:10:43 pm »
God, now I'm crying AGAIN!

Awww! {{{{{HUG}}}}}  I'm glad I'm not the only one!  ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 02:11:25 pm »
 :-* :-*  ((((Mel))))  :-* :-*

Offline Brokeback_Dev

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 04:58:54 pm »
bump

Thanks Rich for being so honest.  My heart breaks for YOU

Amanda you said exactly how I feel

The dozy embrace.  The last time Ennis and Jack would ever be together  :'(

Offline Brokeback_Dev

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 05:05:42 pm »
The look on Jack's face is so painful as he watches Ennis ride off.   In love but in pain.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 05:07:50 pm »
Larger view of the dozy embrace.

I think this is my favorite scene in the movie.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 05:13:33 pm »
what a coincidence that this thread was bumped today.

I had a little crying session today - during work hour no less!

I attended a conference today that was held in an old, fancy hotel. During a break, I wandered around and found this gigantic, empty ballroom with a big chandelier hanging from the ceiling. I went to stand by the large windows facing the town square and all of a sudden I felt very tired, like i could fall asleep on my feet. And as I stood there my fantasy played me a trick and I could really feel Ennis come up behind me, putting his arms around me and humming into my ear; the warmth of his body close to mine, the breath of air on my neck. But then I "woke up" and the spell was broken. But for a moment, I felt like Jack.

Walking through the maze of corridors back to the conference room, I shed a few tears for Jack. I had gotten it together by the time I met up with my colleagues though, and then I resumed work as if nothing had happened.

OK, I'm sure this all sounds corny, but life is corny sometimes.

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 05:24:39 pm »
The look on Jack's face is so painful as he watches Ennis ride off.   In love but in pain.

The look on Jack's face kills me everytime I watch the movie, esp knowing that he will never have that sweet life with Ennis before he dies..

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 05:28:22 pm »
Larger view of the dozy embrace.

I think this is my favorite scene in the movie.

My favourite too, along with the reunion scene.  But again both are heartbreaking...

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 05:30:59 pm »
People have written great haiku inspired by the dozy embrace scene...

Now fierce, now tender
humming softly, whiskey breath
your arm enfolds me

Standing by the fire
Ennis holds Jack in his arms
Sings to Jack Softly

Contentment fills Jack
Ennis rides his horse away
Jack's face filled with love

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 05:31:53 pm »
what a coincidence that this thread was bumped today.

I had a little crying session today - during work hour no less!

I attended a conference today that was held in an old, fancy hotel. During a break, I wandered around and found this gigantic, empty ballroom with a big chandelier hanging from the ceiling. I went to stand by the large windows facing the town square and all of a sudden I felt very tired, like i could fall asleep on my feet. And as I stood there my fantasy played me a trick and I could really feel Ennis come up behind me, putting his arms around me and humming into my ear; the warmth of his body close to mine, the breath of air on my neck. But then I "woke up" and the spell was broken. But for a moment, I felt like Jack.

Walking through the maze of corridors back to the conference room, I shed a few tears for Jack. I had gotten it together by the time I met up with my colleagues though, and then I resumed work as if nothing had happened.

OK, I'm sure this all sounds corny, but life is corny sometimes.

Not corny at all Buffymon...I have felt the same way but not at work, and wished I was Jack, to feel that love from Ennis...

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 05:47:33 pm »
People have written great haiku inspired by the dozy embrace scene...

Now fierce, now tender
humming softly, whiskey breath
your arm enfolds me

Standing by the fire
Ennis holds Jack in his arms
Sings to Jack Softly

Contentment fills Jack
Ennis rides his horse away
Jack's face filled with love

Those are wonderful.  I've always liked the rhythm and brevity of haiku.  Very powerful.
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 11:56:37 pm »
Not corny at all Buffymon...I have felt the same way but not at work, and wished I was Jack, to feel that love from Ennis...
I agree, not corny at all. Who has not wished for someone to come up behind us and embrace us, hum to us like our mother did, a long long time ago?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 10:20:48 am »
I agree, not corny at all. Who has not wished for someone to come up behind us and embrace us, hum to us like our mother did, a long long time ago?

I concur! No corn products in that at all! that is one of the most beautiful and IMHO, one of the most defining scenes in the movie.
It came at atime we needed to be reminded of the love and tenderness they felt for one another. We all need and long for that!

Offline optom3

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 04:17:09 pm »
I concur! No corn products in that at all! that is one of the most beautiful and IMHO, one of the most defining scenes in the movie.
It came at atime we needed to be reminded of the love and tenderness they felt for one another. We all need and long for that!

There are 2 scenes in BBM that show such tenderness and love that they never fail to move me to tears. On is the dozy embrace, the other is the motel scene where Ennis is in Jack's arms and just gently rocks his arm. In a way that gesture is far more intimate than sex. It also shows a level of comfort that we do not often witness.They are both it is inferred, naked in bed, having had sex but are in no hurry to rush off and get dressed.
For me, the biggest demonstration of being at ease with someone is to lie vulnerable in your nakedness with that person. There is no mind blowing sex to hide behind, just a pure unadulterated moment of love.
The sex can be played down which ever way sits better with the two of them, but to lie entwined, smoking and talking after sex is such a tender and loving thing.It is as if the 4 year gap never happened, and to me those scenes along with the reunion kiss are the ones which show beyond any doubt that Jack and Ennis are in love.
The last scene in the tent where we see Ennis with his arm wrapped protectively round Jack is pretty special as well.

If I look back along the road I have travelled, I remember some sexual encounters, but I remember even more basking afterwards in the warmth of someone's love. To lie naked with someone is to expose yourself 100%.