Author Topic: TOTW 11/07: How will moviegoers view BBM 30 years from now?  (Read 27006 times)

Scott6373

Re: TOTW 11/07: How will moviegoers view BBM 30 years from now?
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 01:50:51 pm »
Perhaps it's the fact that I can't sit through it again.  I figure if I find it tedious at this point, what will it be like when I am approcahing 80?

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 01:51:50 pm »
Perhaps it's the fact that I can't sit through it again.  I figure if I find it tedious at this point, what will it be like when I am approcahing 80?
You need to watch it with someone!  ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Scott6373

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 01:52:54 pm »
You need to watch it with someone!  ;D

What difference would that make?  I have watched it with many someone's

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 02:41:11 pm »

You'll just have to use the "pause" button more often so you can get up to go to the bathroom.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 02:46:43 pm »
What difference would that make?  I have watched it with many someone's
You need to watch it with a special someone!  :)
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Scott6373

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 02:52:32 pm »
You need to watch it with a special someone!  :)

Hmmm...that's a concept, but back to the topic of the thread.  I think the film will be viewed as a finely crafted piece of cinema, but again, I have to remove myself from the emotional reaction and view the film for it's value as a catalyst for change.  I think there are cinematic endeavors that did a better job at exposing the horrors of homophobia.  I don't think that was ever the intent of the filmmakers on BBM anyway.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 02:53:48 pm »
I have seen it with strangers, I have seen it by myself, I have seen it with brokies, on the big screen and the small. I have gotten together with brokies and we have not watched it. It is different every situation.

We could look to a couple of other examples, one being Boys in the Band, which was released in 1970. Kerry has posted much about this film. It was ground breaking in a number of ways as its intent, as I see it, was to portray homosexuals in a positive light. I think it still holds up after nearly......jezus...40 years....

Another example is Making Love, from 1982. It caused a stir at the time, as I remember (I was too young to remember BITB coming out) and it had an effect on the larger population. I watched it then (in 1984 when it was on TV) and I saw it again about a year ago and thought it was as dull as a box of plastic forks.

Brokeback, I predict, will be seen as a catalyst for change. Its loss at the Oscars will certainly ensure its celebrity, as if it needed it.  I think it will remain a classic tragedy along the lines of To Kill A Mocking Bird.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 02:57:13 pm »
I agree that the Oscar loss, in a bizarre way, can be seen as good for BBM in terms of its long term legacy.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 03:01:46 pm »
it's value as a catalyst for change.
It sure as hell changed me!
Thats how me end up here!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 03:07:30 pm »
I think there are cinematic endeavors that did a better job at exposing the horrors of homophobia.  I don't think that was ever the intent of the filmmakers on BBM anyway.

You're kidding. ... Right?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.