Author Topic: The future of Brokeback Fanfic  (Read 11951 times)

mvansand76

The future of Brokeback Fanfic
« on: October 16, 2007, 06:07:29 am »
Lately I have heard a lot of people complain on the boards and lj's about so many stories not being finished and authors leaving the fandom and how that's kind of depressing.

Personally, I am kind of fed up with the negativity, because there are still so many authors out there continuing their stories and even starting new ones!

As an author, it's very hard to take, because it feels like the newer authors out there are not as much appreciated for their effort of writing and posting their stories, even on a regular basis with the promise of finishing the story! There's always this focus on the great authors that have left us, while we should cherish the ones that are still here and writing!

What do you think is the future of our fandom?

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The future of Brokeback Fanfic
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 07:17:16 am »

My opinion of Fanfic is:  There are lots of great writers and stories still going forward.  There may well
be many more that are continuing, that we dont know about..  It seems to me that because of possible threats
of lawsuits and copywrite infringement, that many of the stories are locked.  If you dont know the writers are
still active, then you have no way to know if they are still writing or just not open to be read..
        I think that a lot of the fans are confused and angered by much of this..
        I know its not anyones fault, but you asked the question, and that is one of my opinions...
        I also dont have a real answer for this dilemma, I wish I did...
        One more thing, this whole thin g is definately hurting the whole arena.  It does however make me
appreciate the ones that are still being brave enough to continue in the normal way..Posting their stories,
and letting the chips fall where they may...         

janice

Beautiful mind

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 07:30:42 am »
The only thing that really pisses me off, (and I have said this before) is when authors start a great story, and the readers comment, and then there are sometimes months and months with no update, nothing. Then the author has the damn cheek to whinge that no one is bothering to comment on their stories! Well why the hell should we? If there is some personal reason, ie Rl why an author can,t post for a while, all he or she has to do is post a brief message letting us know. Surely that is common curtesy? If they can,t be bothered to do that, then they really have no right to bloody whinge when readers don,t comment on their stories. Just as they give up their time to write the  story, so we give up OUR time to read and comment. Cuts both ways. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 06:52:36 pm »
This is such a great question, Mel! 

I have been thinking a lot about it too.  I admit I am a little nervous about saying my opinion, but I decided that I might as well.

I think that in my view and experience, it just seems that the general fandom is not all that willing to try and accept new authors.  It seems that people read and comment mostly to the few big long-time writers, and that is about it.  I have been posting a lot for the past few months, both some older things and some new stories, and everytime I post something, I tell myself it will be the last, and I won't write anymore. I haven't stopped yet, but I probably will soon because I don't want to keep feeling like I am only making a fool of myself.

It is just that it is very discouraging to only get only a very few comments for something that one posts, if any at all sometimes.  No, the number of comments shouldn't matter, but it does no matter what.  It is just so exciting and wonderful to get them. While there does seem to be some people who seem to enjoy what I write and post, the number never seems to grow at all.  At first I thought it was just me, and that my stories and my writing were not very good, but I do look at almost everything, and except for the 'famous' authors few posts seem to get more than about 15 comments at the absolute max, while usually it is about five to ten comments.  While the big longtime writers get lots and lots of comments all the time, maybe around 100 or so.

I don't want to seem like I am complaining, and I could definitely understand if people just don't like what I write.  But it isn't just me, I do think that a lot of people don't read newer writers, and don't even try it.  I think the if the fandom is going to continue, maybe there should be a little more support for writers who weren't writing it when it all began.  Again, it shouldn't matter, but it does.  It just is so discouraging to put one's heart and soul into a story, and spend all that time writing, and then just end up feeling bad and unsure about it.

Sorry for rambling, and again I hope that this isn't taken the wrong way or anything, but I guess I just needed to say it.

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 07:52:12 pm »
I'd have to say the future of the BBM fandom is likely to be the same as any fandom...it will gradually decrease in activity, have unavoidable episodes of negativity, still have some participants years down the line, etc   For many people, BBM was the first fandom they participated in, and for a lot, probably the only one.  It is tempting to think that the BBM fandom is different because of the intense emotional issues involved.  Without trying to be biased, I do believe it is different in that respect - although some participants, particularly earlier ones who left after not much time, will have viewed it the same as any fandom & just interacted for a relative short time until their initial enthusiasm & interest died off. 

I too was shocked by some of the negativity, as I have not been involved deeply in other fandoms, but I gather it is a common phenomena.  Also the legal aspects.

It is hard when people leave.  I wish authors that prefer their work to be removed from the public domain could keep it available for those that request access, rather than just take it away completely.  And any sort of explanation would be appreciated, not just a mysterious sign off.

It is also frustrating when some fics are just not finished & abandonned, but again a common occurence in the fanfic world.  I do not read a great deal of fics but always have a few on the go & in some way I don't mind this as it means there are loads of out there still for me to discover. This is different to the experience of reading a serialised fic when episodes come out one by one, but at the end of the day it's the quality of the fic that counts & on that score there are few, if any, complaints from me.
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 08:05:44 pm »
Cameron,

I think your points are very well taken. I know I LOVE to get comments and when I would post a new chapter, I would click refresh endlessly to see if anyone said anything. I was thrilled beyond measure by 10 or 15 comments (which was rare). But as you said, there are authors who regularly get 100+. It can be discouraging!

That is one of the reasons that Louise and I set up this forum to have individual threads for stories. I have seen what can happen when you have one general discussion for all stories...it becomes a popularity contest of some, to the exclusion of others. I do realize that the discussion might not be as lively but at least the folks who are reading your story have a place to go.

Some days when I am feeling a little discouraged, I remember "traditional" publishing. What kind of feedback does an author get there? Book sales are one measure of success, of course, and if you are lucky, a review in the New York Times or People or wherever. But then? Have you ever written a letter to an author saying you liked a book or a story? I am certainly not in the habit to do so!

I estimated once that it seems that about 5% to 10% of LJ readers comment. I based this on how many hits I got on my LJ (I added a counter) and the number was pretty constant. You can do the math for your stories but when I was actively writing my long stories (not just the drabbles) I figured I had about 150 active, regular readers. At the end of the day, this fandom isn't that big, so I think that's pretty good.

As for the future (Mel's original question)...I really do think it is obvious people are moving on...as well they should. It's been two years since the movie came out, after all. Some writers do lose interest, so do some readers. I think it is a shame when writers abandon stories midstream, but that happens. At the same time, I get about one message per week that someone has added me as a friend, so I think new people are still coming on board. It's not the wild frenzy it was back in early 2006, but I think there are still people who care passionately about BBM and want to read stories about Jack and Ennis.  For that audience, I think people will always enjoy the "old classics" as well as the new stories that are being created now.

One last thought: I think that one of the things that's a handicap in this fandom is that there is no new BBM stuff being created. We had a short story and a movie. That's it. For folks who read and write in fandoms like Harry Potter or Star Wars, there was lots of new stuff being created "from the top" (ie, JK Rowling) giving new fuel to the imaginations of fanfic writers. Since in BBM we are dealing with a "done deal" I think it makes it more of a challenge to keep things alive, if you follow my drift.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 09:45:57 pm »
Hello,

Thought you all  might be interested in the article on fanfic:

http://www.boston.com/ae/books/articles/2007/10/16/the_new_adventures_of_old_skywalker/
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 10:28:11 pm »

This is kind of an answer to Cameron..My opinion mind you but its an opinion.. 
      I tend not to read the new writers, until they have either finished their story or have a lot
      of chapters under their belt...Nothing to do with not liking them..Rather just the opposite.
      I cant tell you how many different stories that i have grown so attached to..  And I always
      comment..Letting the writer know that I am reading...  but then get very engrossed in the
      story, and have it just be dropped.  That is the reason that I personally hesitate to read new
      writers offerings...Its highly frustrating...and downright dissappointing.  I do read the one ofs...
      Those I dont have to invest many hours of time in to be left holding the bag so to speak..
           Further, the reason I believe that the more well known writers get more commntary, is that
      we have grown to be able to trust them to continue..There may well be long hiatuses, but
      everyon knows that they will eventually get back on track and continue...The comments are
      kind of a contract between the two..Writing and reading...
           If you continue, and make your stories good, as they are...you will start to receive the larger
      number of replies...

Beautiful mind

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 08:10:30 pm »
Thanks for your great reply Leslie,

Please don't get me wrong, I do really appreciate and treasure every single comment that I do get.  I also totally agree with you, since there will be no more new BBM, and the film and the OS is all there is, the fandom is rather limited to begin with.  That is why I really think it is so important for all new writers to get support and appreciation for their efforts, so that it all can continue if poeple want it to.

But I will say and I imagine people may be upset with me for saying this, but again, I might as well.  I do admit it is rather upseting to me that even though I have been here at BetterMost for over ten months, since January, and even though I wrote in the Drabblefest almost every single day from February until July, and even though I have been posting things all over LJ regularly since August, I am still considered too 'new' for people to even try my stories?  I don't quite understand that at all, and I will most likely not write much more, as grateful and as truly appreciative as I am to the people who have been reading my silly and odd stories.

But, maybe the reason that many people start and never go on with their stories is because they think that not many people are reading or willing to ever read them.  Or as I do mostly, that people may be reading, but just don't like it at all.  So perhaps it is just a cycle, that only a few authors are able to get through.

I really don't mean to sound all bitter about this, I am not really. But I do think that there is an issue here in general, that does involve the future of all of this.

I also didn't mean to change the topic of this thread, and I am sorry about it, and I certainly don't mean to anger or upset anyone at all, I do regret if I have.

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 09:19:51 pm »
Evenin'.

Well, interesting topic, and not the first time that it's come up in this fandom.  This is the first and only one I've been involved in; never knew about these until after the movie came out and I did a Google search.  Surprise!!

Since going from anonymous reader, to LJ member in December 2006 [thanks again, Louise], to drabbler, and then to longer author, I've also run the gamut of emotions that others have talked about.  I too check often after a posting, just to see if anyone commented!  Like to read the feedback, see if what I wrote connected to anyone reading it. 

So, as before, there are many authors around that have left, others have begun, some are around for the long haul.I too am frustrated by good stories that stall, and never get updated. Still, when I read something new that I like, I comment right away.  I want the author to know that someone is reading, and thinking about it, and taking the time to write a comment.  That may be enough to keep the author posting more chapters and finishing the story.  If everyone waited for awhile, then the author would get discouraged and leave without completing the story. 

Also, I have found that writing is difficult.  The story line flies around, and you try to put it down, and then it's gone for a while, and then it's back... Whoa!  And, if you're like sienata and some others, you have two or three ideas that just have to be written, and it drives everyone crazy!!

So, I agree that things will slow down, but from the looks of it the fandom still has a lot of life it in, and new blood arrives all the time.  So, I will finish my story [promise!], even though I have some other short stories pinging around, too!

Ain't it grand that we can write in this fandom?  Round Robin III, anyone?

Thanks again. 

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 10:32:32 pm »
I'm going to come back to this topic when my sanity returns but I just wanted to give a shout out to Cameron. I just starting reading your stuff and I'm really (really) enjoying it. So, even if I haven't commented on LJ, it's still true. I know it's tough to be the newbie and I just want you to know that your fans are surely out there.

Mel, I know what you mean about the negativity-it is depressing. I get more depressed when some posts about how sad it is that pick-an-author left. There is lots of good writing and good reading out there and, yes, it's sad when established writers leave but it is joyous when new ones arrive.

back to the cave...

O0

Heathen

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 08:34:46 am »
I did want to expand a little bit on what I mentioned in my other post, about having some sort of a hit counter. There are lots of them out there but the one I use is rite counter, http://www.ritecounter.com/

It's free. You just register and they give you the code you need to use. Every page you post on your LJ, add the code to the bottom. Then you can go to rite counter, log in, and see how many people are accessing your site. There are lots of different options for viewing and did I say, it's FREE.

Cameron and others, sometimes this gives you a well needed ego boost...to know that even if people aren't commenting, they are still hitting your pages (and I assume, reading).

If you are posting on fanfiction.net, that server has a count function built in. Go to the stats section and hunt around. There are a variety of reports you can look at.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

mvansand76

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 03:41:03 pm »
I did want to expand a little bit on what I mentioned in my other post, about having some sort of a hit counter. There are lots of them out there but the one I use is rite counter, http://www.ritecounter.com/

It's free. You just register and they give you the code you need to use. Every page you post on your LJ, add the code to the bottom. Then you can go to rite counter, log in, and see how many people are accessing your site. There are lots of different options for viewing and did I say, it's FREE.

Cameron and others, sometimes this gives you a well needed ego boost...to know that even if people aren't commenting, they are still hitting your pages (and I assume, reading).

If you are posting on fanfiction.net, that server has a count function built in. Go to the stats section and hunt around. There are a variety of reports you can look at.

Leslie

Thanks Leslie for that. I still need to figure out how to use it though... I guess it's supposed to be realllly easy, but I am not that good at this...  :-\ ;)

I think what comes out of all your replies is the thing that we need to avoid is retorting to negativity, because that scares away the authors who are still writing, even if they are only updating once in a while. The number of stories that are actually abandoned and will never be finished is not that high! I took a look at the story threads on here and came up with these, please add when you know another one!

Stories abandoned:

Turbulence
The Bull and its rider
To be alone with you (and two more by Marakeshsparrow, she wrote on her lj a while ago that she is going to focus on her original stories, just like Amy)

(hey what's with that 't' huh?  ;))

Apparantly abandoned (not confirmed by author, but last update months ago):

Rawhide
Tainted Evidence

Compared to the number of stories that have actually been finished, that's not a lot!  :D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 03:50:20 pm »
Thanks Leslie for that. I still need to figure out how to use it though... I guess it's supposed to be realllly easy, but I am not that good at this...  :-\ ;)

Go to www.ritecounter.com and register for an account.

Once you do that, they will give you a bunch of lines of code. Looks sort of like garbage, you'll never be able to memorize so do what I do: copy and paste into a Word document which you can name "ritecounter."

When you post something in LJ, create an entry the usual way. Then, before you hit "post" do this...

Open your "ritecounter" word file
Do ctrl-a (to select all), then ctrl-c to copy
Go to LJ and at the end of your entry, do ctrl-v to paste

That's it! Then when you go to your ritecounter account, you'll be able to see how many hits and hosts you have. For example, today, I have someone doing a marathon read of ALBFS. 116 hits from one host! From the URLs, I know ALBFS is the story the person is reading.

Leslie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 03:52:37 pm »

Stories abandoned:

Turbulence
The Bull and its rider
To be alone with you (and two more by Marakeshsparrow, she wrote on her lj a while ago that she is going to focus on her original stories, just like Amy)

(hey what's with that 't' huh?  ;))

Apparantly abandoned (not confirmed by author, but last update months ago):

Rawhide
Tainted Evidence

Compared to the number of stories that have actually been finished, that's not a lot!  :D

Widower for One Year also seems to have been abandoned.

Have there been any updates to Alexis's stories? The Ties That Bind and Fortunate Son?

L

mvansand76

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 03:58:32 pm »
Widower for One Year also seems to have been abandoned.

Have there been any updates to Alexis's stories? The Ties That Bind and Fortunate Son?

L

I think Alexis/Wannebebrit is planning on updating FS soon! I only read FS, but I think she said that she is also planning on updating TTTB. FS is another example of a very interesting and well-written canon/AU story!  :D

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007, 04:06:31 pm »
Here's the link to a message that Alexis posted on her story journal "wannabestories", on October 28:

http://wannabestories.livejournal.com/

Luckily for us, she's still plugging away!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Julietteh

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2007, 07:27:40 pm »
Hi all:

This is the first time I have been on this forum, though I have been reading stories for a few months. I was on DC and came here because the stories are discussed by title. I saw this thread and immediately knew I had to be here because I have been obsessed with this question.

When I started reading this stuff, I though I would NEVER write a BBM story because the language, etc. would make it just too difficult.  To write about people of the opposite sex who are so limited emotionally would make it even harder. I can see exactly why it took Annie so long.

All the sudden, a story flew into my face. Did you ever see the movie Aliens, when the alien latches onto this guy's face? That's how the story came to me. The story would be set in Lori's Human Interest universe and take place over a 24 hour period about a year and a half after they started the ranch. I saw it taking place in Wisconsin and told through the eyes of an original character. It would probably be one story in three chapters, with all three chapters put up at one time--so basically a one-shot, but a looong one.

This story hasn't let me lone, and it has evolved. It sets up some of the things that happen in Lori's story, and is a major turning point in their relationship. I always liked thinking about these early days when things were much less comfortable. (The story "Second Chances" has an E and J in that time period, so I know others think that way, too). I asked Lori if it would be OK if I wrote it, etc., and she was fine with it.

Anyway, the thing is that I am a professional writer and I'm writing a book of my own due in March. I must write six chapters in 15 days each until then and must have tunnel vision (I should be writing right now instead of writing this...) But I don't know--I'm so late to the party. The guests are putting on their coats and hosts are tossing away the lipstick-stained styrofoam cups. When I write something, it takes a LONG TIME no matter how fast I try to go. So I keep asking myself if by next Spring anyone will still be here to read it! I fingure if it's set in the HI universe that helps. And I know it will help me grow as a writer since I only write non-fiction (well, I've had one short-story published, but that's all I've ever done). I also think it is something to do just to pay people back for all the great stuff I've read. I feel this strongly.

I also know there are a lot of politics, but I don't know what about, really. I do understand competition and jealousy. What I don't understand is why people limit their story to "Friends" or whatever. Is it because people are too critical? Seriously, if someone would explain what the problem is, I would like to know what I'm walking into. If people don't like what I write and say so, it's fine with me. Naturally, I would want people to be constructive in their criticism. Is that what's going on?

Anyway, what do you think? If this isn't worth doing, I need to tell that story to go to hell next time it snuggles up to my temporal lobe. It's an insistent little thing. If I am going to do it, I need to re-read Lori's story as many times as I can to get the way she writes them (especially that damn language--geeze).

I'm also writing because I'm interested in any story recommendations. I've read all the big ones, I think. I'm searching around here to see what people are reading. I especially want to know people's favorite AU AU's. I'm reading Zero already, one with the Amish, the one where Ennis is a cop, the one where Ennis is a security guard. Redemption was a bit too dark for me. But I think that's it. Some of your names look familiar; I think I've read your stories (but maybe not, so if you've written one, tell me!).

Thanks for reading this so far. You are the people I would be writing this for, so your answers, I guess, will tell me if this is worth doing or not.

Juliette

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 07:56:33 pm »

i am always excited and happy to see a new writer come onboard.  I have read so many stories over the last
couple of years.  It is hard to separate all of them..
    Some stand out, others dont.  We have been having this discussion for quite some time now..What and where
does the story go next..  I started reading fanfiction for the first time, in the BBM arena.  I found Lori's story first.
I read it from chapter six on as she has written it.  I love her writing and am also reading Zero at this time..Right now it is a passion with me..
     Over the long haul I have read many many stories by some wonderful writers.  It would take twenty hours probably to list them all..I will just mention a few.   Laramie Saga, by Louisev.  Lead me to your door , Shades of
Grey, Someone New.  Green Eyes, A better idea, Once was Lost.  The bull and its Rider.  Roots, Warmest week of
the year. When love takes you in.  The Heart of the Matter, Altitude, Turbulence,  you and me and a dog named
Flea,  Thru the veil of time, and its predecessor A Love born from Steel .  A chance occurrance, .  All of Sienatas stories  so many...

Many of these stories are ongoing. Some are canon some are Au and some are AuAu...I like them all.
I can handle live or dead Jack, as long as its well written, and respectful to the characters...So good luck..we will still be here. : Never Enough, Never Enough" stories...or time...

Beautiful mind

Offline BelAir

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 10:30:27 pm »
Hi all.  Just throwing in my perspective as a reader.  (my LJ name has nothing to do with this screen, btw, so don't "look" for me...)

If I read something that has a 100 comments already, I don't say anything, unless it stands out as a particularly good or unique chapter.  I am sure whichever author would love to be told by person #101 that the chap was great, but really, it seems unnecessary to me.  I am sure most of those comments were "it was great" oriented, so like I said, I don't generally add mine, unless I feel I have something special to say.

I also try never to complain to authors.  Sometimes I ask questions, but I really try not to complain.  I feel like their writing is their business, if I get something out of it, great, if not, well I figure most fandom writers aren't writing to hear my critiques.  That said, I do sometimes have "constructive critiques" cross my mind, but unless I happen to know the author, I never post these, because I know that critiques in general do not go over well.  Especially if they are of a particularly popular story.

Also, I sometimes have lots of times to read, and sometimes only little time.  I am just coming off a stint of lots of time... But there weren't too many new stories started (in English).  Because of the weird time constraints, I generally don't start a story that is in the midst of e.g. chapter 36... cause honestly, I don't have time to catch up on the first 36 chapters.  But if I like chap 1, I would continue to follow along...

Ah well...  I am sorry if any writers are feeling discouraged.  I still look forward to reading new stories...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

mvansand76

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 08:11:34 am »
Welcome to Bettermost Juliette!  :D Hope you enjoy your limited free time here!

I want to wish you good luck on writing those last chapters of your original novel. A lot of authors have decided to move on from fanfic to writing original novels. I am one of those, when I have finished Altitude and Liberation, I will start working on one original novel and a children's book (but I will have to switch back to my native tongue Dutch to do that). You are doing it the other way around, which is great too! It would be a good pastime as soon as you have finished writing your original novel and if Lori has already said that it's OK, then go for it! I think that whenever you start posting there will always be readers around months from now.

:)

I also know there are a lot of politics, but I don't know what about, really. I do understand competition and jealousy. What I don't understand is why people limit their story to "Friends" or whatever. Is it because people are too critical? Seriously, if someone would explain what the problem is, I would like to know what I'm walking into. If people don't like what I write and say so, it's fine with me. Naturally, I would want people to be constructive in their criticism. Is that what's going on?

I can't speak for other authors who have friended their journal. But in my case, it didn't have anything to do with criticism or flaming or fandom politics. I treasure constructive criticism and have never had ANY nasty comments on my journal and I am glad for that because that would have taken away all the fun out of writing and posting.  I just didn't feel comfortable having my creative endeavours out there without protection and was worried about privacy issues.

I understand the emotional reaction of writers to the friends-locking of livejournals, but the locking is not always about flaming or fandom politics. And as far as I know it's never been about an author not wanting to receive (constructive) criticism.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 08:23:31 am »
Hi Juliette,

Welcome...glad to have you here. I don't have too much to add to what the others have said. Even thought the BBM fanficdom is slowing down a bit, I don't think it will ever go away completely...I am sure your story will be a welcome addition, when it gets  written.

Have fun!

Leslie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 02:11:11 pm »
Hi Juliette,

Let me add my welcome!  It's great to have you here.

I agree that your story would be a welcome addition and I look forward to reading it whenever you're ready!  From what I've seen, most writers are receptive to all polite, thoughtful comments - constructive crit included!

In addition to the stories already mentioned by you and others, I would recommend these AU/AUs: Camden Yards and Full Count by debutante9; Storm of Shadows by neuontz; The Ties that Bind and everything else by wannabebrit; White Picket Fences & Apple Trees just started up again after a long hiatus, by midgetsize; and Tainted Evidence by beatriceormore - which was also on a long hiatus, but we've just been given some teasers for the upcoming chapter.  Those are off the top of my head and I'm sure I'm missing a lot.  A quick look through the boards will give you a lot more.  We're very luck to have such a wide variety. 

Good luck!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Julietteh

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2007, 09:34:49 pm »
    i am always excited and happy to see a new writer come onboard.  I have read so many stories over the last
couple of years.  It is hard to separate all of them..
    Some stand out, others dont.  We have been having this discussion for quite some time now..What and where
does the story go next..  I started reading fanfiction for the first time, in the BBM arena.  I found Lori's story first.
I read it from chapter six on as she has written it.  I love her writing and am also reading Zero at this time..Right now it is a passion with me..
     Over the long haul I have read many many stories by some wonderful writers.  It would take twenty hours probably to list them all..I will just mention a few.   Laramie Saga, by Louisev.  Lead me to your door , Shades of
Grey, Someone New.  Green Eyes, A better idea, Once was Lost.  The bull and its Rider.  Roots, Warmest week of
the year. When love takes you in.  The Heart of the Matter, Altitude, Turbulence,  you and me and a dog named
Flea,  Thru the veil of time, and its predecessor A Love born from Steel .  A chance occurrance, .  All of Sienatas stories  so many...

Many of these stories are ongoing. Some are canon some are Au and some are AuAu...I like them all.
I can handle live or dead Jack, as long as its well written, and respectful to the characters...So good luck..we will still be here. : Never Enough, Never Enough" stories...or time...

Thanks! I will start there. Anyone else got any recomendations, I will take em!

Offline Julietteh

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 09:49:52 pm »
Thanks for the welcome. My book, though, is non-fiction. That means they make me have facts that I have to look up and do (sigh) research. And my publisher insists, for some strange reason, that the facts be accurate. Unfortunately, none of these facts have anything to do with BBM or knowing the difference between "throwing a snit" and a SNIT. If so, I could buy tons of BBM stuff and take it as a tax deduction.

How do I get to your stories?
 :)

I can't speak for other authors who have friended their journal. But in my case, it didn't have anything to do with criticism or flaming or fandom politics. I treasure constructive criticism and have never had ANY nasty comments on my journal and I am glad for that because that would have taken away all the fun out of writing and posting.  I just didn't feel comfortable having my creative endeavours out there without protection and was worried about privacy issues.

I understand the emotional reaction of writers to the friends-locking of livejournals, but the locking is not always about flaming or fandom politics. And as far as I know it's never been about an author not wanting to receive (constructive) criticism.

[/quote]

Offline blacktears

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Hudson Heartbreak
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2007, 10:38:56 pm »
I've talked about this topic and seen this topic discussed on the Turbulence thread here (I believe it was? I'm not that sure) and I'm glad this thread exists. Thanks to whoever started it.  :)

I was sorry to hear about Cameron's feelings on writing and feedback. I'm just happy to see anyone writing, whether I read it or not because writing feeds the soul in my opinion and if you enjoy it, you should keep doing it no matter what. Please don't let us readers stop you on account of not commenting. But I can understand that it is frustrating. I write in other fandoms (don't have any ideas for the BBM fandom as it were) and I've gotten 2 comments on some stories, 20 on others, so I guess it just depends. I also write in much smaller fandoms because beleive it or not, even though we only have a film and a short story, BBM is a pretty big fandom. One of my other fandoms has only about 4-5 active authors in it and its not even that old where as the Star Trek fandom is quite old and still seems fairly busy. So to me, its a roll of dice even within the recurring patterns in fandoms.

The question about new writers is a puzzling one. You think people would be more welcoming to them as the fandom dies down but that may not be the case here since a lot of the 'big' authors are still writing. But maybe some readers are set in their ways?

I know I was on another BBM forum (not this one) where favourite or 'big' authors were used against one another in a sort of battle of who's better and maybe the new authors don't have that past with some of the readers so they sadly fall by the way side. But in a way that can be good because who wants to be used as a weapon against your fellow writers? Not I. So its hard to say. And like someone else said on here (I believe in it was Leslie?) you can always take the number of people that actually comment and sometimes double it to get your actual readership. I'm sure there are a lot of people who read and don't comment. (Raises hand, I am very guilty of this, I will try and do better)

Another thing I've noticed from my lurker status is the Jack V. Ennis thing in the fandom (not so much on this board really) which discourages and effects a lot of writing AND reading I think and that is very sad. How can you pit the boy against one another? It makes no sense to me. But I've seen some stories that made me scratch my chin and think 'Hmm is this story about revenge for what another author did to *enter name here*?" Hard to say but it still makes me wonder.

I also think this fandom is fairly conservative in how some, not all, readers react to certain things that occur within stories, especially to Jack it seems and that can be off putting to new writers and readers. There seems to be this general blanket opinion from some of the more conservative readers , a set of rules, do's and don't's if you will that an author is allowed to do to the boys and I think that is crippling to a fandom and thankfully not a lot of authors in the BBM fandom listen to this. It's amazing to me the type of ignorance that peeps its ugly head out in a fandom that is based on tolerance and acceptance.

Anyway, the future of the fandom to me seems to be a natural one. It will slow down, stories will still update but maybe not with the same speed and new authors will come and go, some older authors will go and some will stay. I think the frenzy has died down but there are still some REALLY fantastic fics out there by authors, new and old. I know I'll keep reading.
Proud Supporter, Writer, and Reader of RPS