Author Topic: The future of Brokeback Fanfic  (Read 11982 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: The future of Brokeback Fanfic
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 10:32:32 pm »
I'm going to come back to this topic when my sanity returns but I just wanted to give a shout out to Cameron. I just starting reading your stuff and I'm really (really) enjoying it. So, even if I haven't commented on LJ, it's still true. I know it's tough to be the newbie and I just want you to know that your fans are surely out there.

Mel, I know what you mean about the negativity-it is depressing. I get more depressed when some posts about how sad it is that pick-an-author left. There is lots of good writing and good reading out there and, yes, it's sad when established writers leave but it is joyous when new ones arrive.

back to the cave...

O0

Heathen

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 08:34:46 am »
I did want to expand a little bit on what I mentioned in my other post, about having some sort of a hit counter. There are lots of them out there but the one I use is rite counter, http://www.ritecounter.com/

It's free. You just register and they give you the code you need to use. Every page you post on your LJ, add the code to the bottom. Then you can go to rite counter, log in, and see how many people are accessing your site. There are lots of different options for viewing and did I say, it's FREE.

Cameron and others, sometimes this gives you a well needed ego boost...to know that even if people aren't commenting, they are still hitting your pages (and I assume, reading).

If you are posting on fanfiction.net, that server has a count function built in. Go to the stats section and hunt around. There are a variety of reports you can look at.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

mvansand76

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 03:41:03 pm »
I did want to expand a little bit on what I mentioned in my other post, about having some sort of a hit counter. There are lots of them out there but the one I use is rite counter, http://www.ritecounter.com/

It's free. You just register and they give you the code you need to use. Every page you post on your LJ, add the code to the bottom. Then you can go to rite counter, log in, and see how many people are accessing your site. There are lots of different options for viewing and did I say, it's FREE.

Cameron and others, sometimes this gives you a well needed ego boost...to know that even if people aren't commenting, they are still hitting your pages (and I assume, reading).

If you are posting on fanfiction.net, that server has a count function built in. Go to the stats section and hunt around. There are a variety of reports you can look at.

Leslie

Thanks Leslie for that. I still need to figure out how to use it though... I guess it's supposed to be realllly easy, but I am not that good at this...  :-\ ;)

I think what comes out of all your replies is the thing that we need to avoid is retorting to negativity, because that scares away the authors who are still writing, even if they are only updating once in a while. The number of stories that are actually abandoned and will never be finished is not that high! I took a look at the story threads on here and came up with these, please add when you know another one!

Stories abandoned:

Turbulence
The Bull and its rider
To be alone with you (and two more by Marakeshsparrow, she wrote on her lj a while ago that she is going to focus on her original stories, just like Amy)

(hey what's with that 't' huh?  ;))

Apparantly abandoned (not confirmed by author, but last update months ago):

Rawhide
Tainted Evidence

Compared to the number of stories that have actually been finished, that's not a lot!  :D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 03:50:20 pm »
Thanks Leslie for that. I still need to figure out how to use it though... I guess it's supposed to be realllly easy, but I am not that good at this...  :-\ ;)

Go to www.ritecounter.com and register for an account.

Once you do that, they will give you a bunch of lines of code. Looks sort of like garbage, you'll never be able to memorize so do what I do: copy and paste into a Word document which you can name "ritecounter."

When you post something in LJ, create an entry the usual way. Then, before you hit "post" do this...

Open your "ritecounter" word file
Do ctrl-a (to select all), then ctrl-c to copy
Go to LJ and at the end of your entry, do ctrl-v to paste

That's it! Then when you go to your ritecounter account, you'll be able to see how many hits and hosts you have. For example, today, I have someone doing a marathon read of ALBFS. 116 hits from one host! From the URLs, I know ALBFS is the story the person is reading.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 03:52:37 pm »

Stories abandoned:

Turbulence
The Bull and its rider
To be alone with you (and two more by Marakeshsparrow, she wrote on her lj a while ago that she is going to focus on her original stories, just like Amy)

(hey what's with that 't' huh?  ;))

Apparantly abandoned (not confirmed by author, but last update months ago):

Rawhide
Tainted Evidence

Compared to the number of stories that have actually been finished, that's not a lot!  :D

Widower for One Year also seems to have been abandoned.

Have there been any updates to Alexis's stories? The Ties That Bind and Fortunate Son?

L

mvansand76

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 03:58:32 pm »
Widower for One Year also seems to have been abandoned.

Have there been any updates to Alexis's stories? The Ties That Bind and Fortunate Son?

L

I think Alexis/Wannebebrit is planning on updating FS soon! I only read FS, but I think she said that she is also planning on updating TTTB. FS is another example of a very interesting and well-written canon/AU story!  :D

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007, 04:06:31 pm »
Here's the link to a message that Alexis posted on her story journal "wannabestories", on October 28:

http://wannabestories.livejournal.com/

Luckily for us, she's still plugging away!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Julietteh

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2007, 07:27:40 pm »
Hi all:

This is the first time I have been on this forum, though I have been reading stories for a few months. I was on DC and came here because the stories are discussed by title. I saw this thread and immediately knew I had to be here because I have been obsessed with this question.

When I started reading this stuff, I though I would NEVER write a BBM story because the language, etc. would make it just too difficult.  To write about people of the opposite sex who are so limited emotionally would make it even harder. I can see exactly why it took Annie so long.

All the sudden, a story flew into my face. Did you ever see the movie Aliens, when the alien latches onto this guy's face? That's how the story came to me. The story would be set in Lori's Human Interest universe and take place over a 24 hour period about a year and a half after they started the ranch. I saw it taking place in Wisconsin and told through the eyes of an original character. It would probably be one story in three chapters, with all three chapters put up at one time--so basically a one-shot, but a looong one.

This story hasn't let me lone, and it has evolved. It sets up some of the things that happen in Lori's story, and is a major turning point in their relationship. I always liked thinking about these early days when things were much less comfortable. (The story "Second Chances" has an E and J in that time period, so I know others think that way, too). I asked Lori if it would be OK if I wrote it, etc., and she was fine with it.

Anyway, the thing is that I am a professional writer and I'm writing a book of my own due in March. I must write six chapters in 15 days each until then and must have tunnel vision (I should be writing right now instead of writing this...) But I don't know--I'm so late to the party. The guests are putting on their coats and hosts are tossing away the lipstick-stained styrofoam cups. When I write something, it takes a LONG TIME no matter how fast I try to go. So I keep asking myself if by next Spring anyone will still be here to read it! I fingure if it's set in the HI universe that helps. And I know it will help me grow as a writer since I only write non-fiction (well, I've had one short-story published, but that's all I've ever done). I also think it is something to do just to pay people back for all the great stuff I've read. I feel this strongly.

I also know there are a lot of politics, but I don't know what about, really. I do understand competition and jealousy. What I don't understand is why people limit their story to "Friends" or whatever. Is it because people are too critical? Seriously, if someone would explain what the problem is, I would like to know what I'm walking into. If people don't like what I write and say so, it's fine with me. Naturally, I would want people to be constructive in their criticism. Is that what's going on?

Anyway, what do you think? If this isn't worth doing, I need to tell that story to go to hell next time it snuggles up to my temporal lobe. It's an insistent little thing. If I am going to do it, I need to re-read Lori's story as many times as I can to get the way she writes them (especially that damn language--geeze).

I'm also writing because I'm interested in any story recommendations. I've read all the big ones, I think. I'm searching around here to see what people are reading. I especially want to know people's favorite AU AU's. I'm reading Zero already, one with the Amish, the one where Ennis is a cop, the one where Ennis is a security guard. Redemption was a bit too dark for me. But I think that's it. Some of your names look familiar; I think I've read your stories (but maybe not, so if you've written one, tell me!).

Thanks for reading this so far. You are the people I would be writing this for, so your answers, I guess, will tell me if this is worth doing or not.

Juliette

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 07:56:33 pm »

i am always excited and happy to see a new writer come onboard.  I have read so many stories over the last
couple of years.  It is hard to separate all of them..
    Some stand out, others dont.  We have been having this discussion for quite some time now..What and where
does the story go next..  I started reading fanfiction for the first time, in the BBM arena.  I found Lori's story first.
I read it from chapter six on as she has written it.  I love her writing and am also reading Zero at this time..Right now it is a passion with me..
     Over the long haul I have read many many stories by some wonderful writers.  It would take twenty hours probably to list them all..I will just mention a few.   Laramie Saga, by Louisev.  Lead me to your door , Shades of
Grey, Someone New.  Green Eyes, A better idea, Once was Lost.  The bull and its Rider.  Roots, Warmest week of
the year. When love takes you in.  The Heart of the Matter, Altitude, Turbulence,  you and me and a dog named
Flea,  Thru the veil of time, and its predecessor A Love born from Steel .  A chance occurrance, .  All of Sienatas stories  so many...

Many of these stories are ongoing. Some are canon some are Au and some are AuAu...I like them all.
I can handle live or dead Jack, as long as its well written, and respectful to the characters...So good luck..we will still be here. : Never Enough, Never Enough" stories...or time...

Beautiful mind

Offline BelAir

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 10:30:27 pm »
Hi all.  Just throwing in my perspective as a reader.  (my LJ name has nothing to do with this screen, btw, so don't "look" for me...)

If I read something that has a 100 comments already, I don't say anything, unless it stands out as a particularly good or unique chapter.  I am sure whichever author would love to be told by person #101 that the chap was great, but really, it seems unnecessary to me.  I am sure most of those comments were "it was great" oriented, so like I said, I don't generally add mine, unless I feel I have something special to say.

I also try never to complain to authors.  Sometimes I ask questions, but I really try not to complain.  I feel like their writing is their business, if I get something out of it, great, if not, well I figure most fandom writers aren't writing to hear my critiques.  That said, I do sometimes have "constructive critiques" cross my mind, but unless I happen to know the author, I never post these, because I know that critiques in general do not go over well.  Especially if they are of a particularly popular story.

Also, I sometimes have lots of times to read, and sometimes only little time.  I am just coming off a stint of lots of time... But there weren't too many new stories started (in English).  Because of the weird time constraints, I generally don't start a story that is in the midst of e.g. chapter 36... cause honestly, I don't have time to catch up on the first 36 chapters.  But if I like chap 1, I would continue to follow along...

Ah well...  I am sorry if any writers are feeling discouraged.  I still look forward to reading new stories...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."