Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain Christmas Message  (Read 2811 times)

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Brokeback Mountain Christmas Message
« on: May 13, 2006, 02:05:11 am »
A friend just E-mailed me this:

Brokeback Mountain Christmas Message
Fr. Richard Chilson

The Chronicles of Narnia would seem the obvious choice for the gospel to appear this year.  Aslan the lion is a Christ figure who dies and rises for his people.  But the Christ myth is not the gospel of Jesus.
CS Lewis is part of that multitude who tried to translate the gospel out of the poor and rejected to the comfortable middle class.  This lion is an acceptable figure for Christ if you keep in mind Christ the King.  The problem is that Jesus is a “king” of shreds and patches, and his people are shepherds, whores, and tax collectors, not upper middle class children.  A truer telling would have Christ as a broken down jackass who restores the varmints to God’s accepting creation.
The good news was proclaimed this night not to the wealthy but to shepherds.  Real shepherds – not those on Hallmark cards.  My friend Fr. John Collins celebrated Midnight Mass for the gay community at the Castro theater in San Francisco.  In his last homily there he began by looking around the crowded space, “We, all of us, we are the shepherds.  It is to us that the Good News is proclaimed.  People of Jesus’ time treated shepherds just as many treat us today.  They say we are thieves.  We corrupt the young.  We have no morals.  To such a people the angels appeared with Good Tidings.”
Who are the shepherds today?  No need to look far – they are not only shepherds but gay.  Don’t call Brokeback Mountan the gay cowboy movie.  Jack and Ennis are not cowboys.  Cowboys are mythic and romantic.  They are shepherds and their lives are just as poor, barren, broken and forsaken as biblical shepherds.
These shepherds may be gay, but it is not just the possibility of gay kisses or sex that is drawing in such numbers.  The story speaks to a place deep in our tender souls.  There we sense the wondrous gospel that hides behind every tale that breaks our heart.
Ennis is severely damaged.  He is inarticulate.  At one point he speaks for a minute or so and Jack, his friend, tells him “That may be the most I have heard you say not only at one time but at all time.”  I can claim Ennis for my own.  So can most men – it’s a guy thing to be tongue tied about what is most important.  And although they may be better at it, women too are inarticulate about who most matters to them.
Jack comes into Ennis’ life and he brings love.  It is a savage love, laying waste to everything they hope for.  They cannot name it for what it is.  The most they can say to one another is, “I’m not queer.”  “Me neither.”
Jack will not surrender to Brokeback Mountain – what a name – being the most of heaven they can know.  When he demands that he and Ennis make a life together Ennis bloodies him with a punch.
After Jack’s murder when Ennis finally realizes his loss, he takes Jack’s bloody shirt home with him and hangs it in his closet.  His daughter visits to tell him of her upcoming marriage and to invite him to give her away.  Ennis uses the same excuse he gave Jack, “I’ve got to be on the round up then.”  But then something melts.  “Damn the roundup.  I’ll be there.  My daughter is getting married.”
When she has left he goes to the closet and opens it.  There on the door is a photo of Brokeback Mountain, the site of their happiness.  And next to it hangs Jack’s shirt with the blood still on it, the pledge of love.  A pledge bought with blood, and a pledge that will never give up, will never go away.
Christmas is our pledge that Love will never go away, will never forsake us.  Like Jack, God is unable to let go no matter how violent the refusal.  God waits for an opportunity to meet us in the cracks of our life not as a noble lion but as a brokeback shepherd who now can speak the Word for who we are and where we dwell – Love.
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

TJ

Re: Brokeback Mountain Christmas Message
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 03:13:40 am »
Thanks for posting that. Much appreciated.

C. S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia book series was not written as a Christian Allegory as some imagine.

We discussed his book series a little bit in the eschatology (end-times) theology class which I took at Oral Roberts University.

While some of the imagery in the series does make one think of images/icons/paintings one might see in catholic type churches, you really shouldn't use the books to teach the Bible.

Lewis wrote the books because during WWII he had some children staying with him and he realized that they were not even familiar with children's fantasy stories. And, the theme of what he did write was to give the reader hope to the future. But, there are lots of non-Biblical mythological imagery in the book series.

I enjoyed the books so much that after I was introduced to them, I bought a set to give to my younger sister's childen for Christmas back in the latter 1970s.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 12:33:05 pm »
Thanks for posting PTannen

Also, found this TJ:

"C.S. Lewis didn’t think of his Narnia books as being an allegory, strictly speaking. Instead, he though of them as exploring the nature of Christianity and God’s relationship with man in a parallel universe:

"I did not say to myself ‘Let us represent Jesus as He really is in our world by a Lion in Narnia’; I said, ‘Let us suppose that there were a land like Narnia and that the Son of God, as he became a Man in our world, became a Lion there, and then imagine what would happen.'"

In a letter, Lewis outlined how the Narnia books compare with Christianity:

The Magician’s Nephew tells the Creation and how evil entered Narnia, The Lion etc. - the Crucifixion and Resurrection, Prince Caspian - restoration of the true religion after a corruption, The Horse and His Boy - the calling and conversion of the heathen, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - the spiritual life (especially in Reepicheep), The Silver Chair - the continuing war against the powers of darkness, The Last Battle - the coming of Antichrist (the ape). The end of the world and the last judgement."
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 12:34:39 pm by delalluvia »

TJ

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 08:57:43 pm »
Thanks for posting that, delalluvia. Your member name looks like "from the rain" in Spanish.

Oh, some of the right-wing Bible-thumpers who praise the Chronicles of Narnia book, TV and even movies would not even like C. S. Lewis in Person. They might have considered him to be too liberal and even judge him because he was not as conservative as they are. Would they accept a theologian who smoked a pipe or drank wine? No Way!

I had never heard of the man until I was a graduate theology student working on a 2nd Master's degree.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 02:04:37 am »
Thanks for posting that, delalluvia. Your member name looks like "from the rain" in Spanish.

Yep, got that right.

I had never heard of the man until I was a graduate theology student working on a 2nd Master's degree.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' was read to me as a child in school, but I never got that it was a Christian allegory.  Too many fantasy/mythical animals.  I thought it was a cool place that hadn't heard of Christianity.   ;D

Kids.   8)

TJ

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 02:19:42 am »
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' was read to me as a child in school, but I never got that it was a Christian allegory.  Too many fantasy/mythical animals.  I thought it was a cool place that hadn't heard of Christianity.   ;D

Kids.   8)

My younger sister, who is a Christian, and her children, who are adults now, never considered the Chronicles to be connected with Christianity, either. When I gave the complete set to her family as a Christmas present, I just gave it as a gift they could read. I never even attempted to claim that Aslan was supposed to be a Christ figure.

Her kids read it just like they would read any other fantasy story with children and animals.