Author Topic: So many things still remind me of Brokeback Mountain!  (Read 2731 times)

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
So many things still remind me of Brokeback Mountain!
« on: May 13, 2006, 02:12:27 am »
After all these months, so many things still remind me of Brokeback Mountain!  My partner and I were hiking in California's Sierra Nevada Moutains last weekend and just being out in that magnificent scenery instantly get me in touch with Jack and Ennis.  Before we left, I was looking at the map and saw that just west of where we were staying on Highway 50 was a place named Riverton!  It's actually not a town, but just a wide spot on the road, but there was a sign on a highway maintenance box.  On the way home, we pulled of the road at a picnic table and while we were there, a guy and his wife pulled up with a horse trailer and let there horses out and they stood there eating grass.  And a few weeks ago, I was bicycling south of San Francisco and just happened to look up at a random street sign and it was "Riverton!"

Pete
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: So many things still remind me of Brokeback Mountain!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 12:09:55 pm »
Brokeback Mountain is so engrained in my being. Every word or phrase I hear that was uttered in the movie catches my attention. Every piece of music with similar strains or feeling to Gustavo Santoalalla's score-every sad heart-break song. Everytime I rent a movie-heck, everytime I watch a movie!

Heathen

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 12:14:00 pm »
Pete, do you carry a little camera with you? I would love to see a picture of those horses! We owe it to our urban, Eastern, and other hemisphere friends to post images of the West that remind us of BBM!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 01:07:02 pm »
Pete, do you carry a little camera with you? I would love to see a picture of those horses! We owe it to our urban, Eastern, and other hemisphere friends to post images of the West that remind us of BBM!
[/quote

Sorry, no camera, I'm a bit of a Luddite.  I really need to get a small digital camera.  But I like your idea!

Pete
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

TJ

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 09:07:54 pm »
With me, it is more like So many things in Brokeback Mountain remind me of stuff in my own life and the lives of those whom I know or have known!

I have used or heard many of the expressions used in the movie and the book in my 63 plus years.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 10:33:02 pm »
Brokeback Mountain is so engrained in my being. Every word or phrase I hear that was uttered in the movie catches my attention. Every piece of music with similar strains or feeling to Gustavo Santoalalla's score-every sad heart-break song. Everytime I rent a movie-heck, everytime I watch a movie!

I hear ya, there, Ruby.

Living down here on the southeast coast of Florida, you can spit in any direction and hit something with the words "Del Mar" on it.  Del Mar Plaza.  Boca Del Mar.  Tierra Del Mar.  And I swear that earlier today my son stopped me in my tracks by picking up his guitar and just happening to play what sounded very much like those plaintive five notes.  Then tonight, he says to me, "Are you gonna watch that cowboy movie again tonight?"  Honest, I really don't watch it *every* night, and it's been a whole four nights since I saw it last.  And when I do watch it, I watch it out on my (covered) patio with headphones so as not to disturb his sleep 'cause I like it *loud*.  I said, "No, not tonight, honey."  And he actually said, "Aw.  I think you should."  Where does this kid get this stuff from?  He's four, for Chrissakes.
No more beans!

TJ

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 10:59:07 pm »
Oh, I can look in the local phone book and see Ennis (a surname), Twist and Delmar listed.

I don't know any family people named "Twist" or Delmar;" but, I know several people whose last name is "Ennis" and I have known them since 1960.

However, I have known a few guys whose given name was "Delmar," pronounced "delmur."