Author Topic: Thoughts for the day  (Read 1199723 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Thoughts for the day
« Reply #1590 on: February 26, 2009, 01:54:52 pm »
Dear Editor,

In the interest of correcting the historical record I would like to address the error in the obituary for my uncle published in yesterday's Martinsville Bulletin.

Among the pall bearers listed as carrying my uncle to his final rest was one Freeman Adkins. Since no doubt years from now my uncles four grandchildren will be scratching their heads wondering who Freeman Adkins was, there should be a foot note to explain that there is no such person. Additionally said non existant person should not be confused with myself. I was in fact offered the honor of being a pall bearer but had to decline due to extenuating circumstances. Exactly how this Freeman Adkins came to be is beyond my willingness to speculate.

But feel free to assign this newly created identity, to all the unattributed predilections of various relatives whose names you cannot quite recall. Welcome Freeman as the catchall relative with the vague facial features, the trickster who is always lurking to drop some ice down grandmas back when the group photo is taken, the one who failed to pick up Junior from ball practice and he had to walk home. No need for him to go to waste.

Sincerely,

Truman Adkins
Fieldale, Virginia

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1591 on: February 26, 2009, 02:23:56 pm »
I hope you really sent that to the paper.  ;D

I'm so sorry to hear your uncle died, Truman.   Sincere condolences, bud.  :(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1592 on: February 26, 2009, 10:09:32 pm »
Thank kew Meryl, he had a stroke last summer and never regained much after that. He is in a better place.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1593 on: February 27, 2009, 02:04:30 pm »
While at lunch today I had two revelations:

1. Xenoniphobia is a fear of inert gasses, and;

2. I saw a car with a handicapped sticker on it parked in a regular parking spot. I called a friend of mine who was having lunch with her policeman husband and told her I wanted to report it.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #1594 on: February 28, 2009, 10:10:15 am »
While at lunch today I had two revelations:

1. Xenoniphobia is a fear of inert gasses, and;

2. I saw a car with a handicapped sticker on it parked in a regular parking spot. I called a friend of mine who was having lunch with her policeman husband and told her I wanted to report it.

:laugh: :laugh:
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #1595 on: March 02, 2009, 05:27:26 pm »
Dear Editor,

In the interest of correcting the historical record I would like to address the error in the obituary for my uncle published in yesterday's Martinsville Bulletin.

Among the pall bearers listed as carrying my uncle to his final rest was one Freeman Adkins. Since no doubt years from now my uncles four grandchildren will be scratching their heads wondering who Freeman Adkins was, there should be a foot note to explain that there is no such person. Additionally said non existant person should not be confused with myself. I was in fact offered the honor of being a pall bearer but had to decline due to extenuating circumstances. Exactly how this Freeman Adkins came to be is beyond my willingness to speculate.

But feel free to assign this newly created identity, to all the unattributed predilections of various relatives whose names you cannot quite recall. Welcome Freeman as the catchall relative with the vague facial features, the trickster who is always lurking to drop some ice down grandmas back when the group photo is taken, the one who failed to pick up Junior from ball practice and he had to walk home. No need for him to go to waste.

Sincerely,

Truman Adkins
Fieldale, Virginia

Truman, you are a genius!
I think you need to write a book!
However, I am truly sorry about your uncle. Been meaning to tell you. :(

"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #1596 on: March 02, 2009, 07:30:56 pm »
Yes, Truman you are truly a gifted writer.  Im sorry to hear about the sad news of the passing of your uncle.  But yes definitely that in to the editor.  they should correct it.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1597 on: March 03, 2009, 12:03:03 pm »
Well I have sent it but have not checked today.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1598 on: March 03, 2009, 02:09:55 pm »
1. Xenoniphobia is a fear of inert gasses.

So, then, is Xenaphobia fear of Warrior Princesses or just fear of Lucy Lawless?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1599 on: March 03, 2009, 02:12:39 pm »
After eight years of the Bush Administration, with its crabby and crabby-looking old men, it's a relief and a pleasure to have some hotties running things in Washington. Makes it a lot more pleasant to watch the TV news.

There is, of course, the President himself. Then there is his chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel. Also Attorney General Eric Holder (how hot is he--an African American man with a name like a Viking?).
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.