Author Topic: Thoughts for the day  (Read 1199512 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Thoughts for the day
« Reply #1690 on: June 01, 2009, 12:48:10 pm »
Last night I watched Brokeback Mountain.

It has been a while since I typed such a thing. It has been a while since I saw it, probably back in the fall, well over six months.

I found myself still remembering what I was thinking or feeling the first time I saw it. Like touchstones necessary for an obsessive compulsive to quantify enjoyment. Looked for all the bloomers, the missing log on the chopping block, the whiskey bottle that disappears from Jack's hand and then reappears.

I found myself looking at the two fights Jack and Ennis engage in, one when they leave the mountain and the other in the trail head parking lot, where Ennis, exhausted, says "I can't stand it anymore". Both times it seems, he is blaming Jack for what he feels.

But what soothed me, what was balm was two things:

The music, the wonderful pathos of the soundtrack, summing up the unspoken feeling, and;

The memory, of having been to a number of those places, what the sun and the wind felt like, what my heart felt like beating in those wonderful places, the memories of friends made o that trip.

I had to pull out Refinding Brokeback and watching it too.  ;D

There is still magic, it can still be accessed, and you can still count on the phone to ring just when Ennis climbs the stairs (Hey Chuck!)

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1691 on: June 01, 2009, 02:52:03 pm »
Thanks, Truman.  Brought it all back to me, too, a much-needed pause for reflection.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #1692 on: June 05, 2009, 12:48:20 pm »
Wow, Truman it must have been so awesome for you to be there in those exact locations with other Brokies to share the magic with

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1693 on: June 05, 2009, 03:22:41 pm »
Between Plato on the one hand and St. Paul on the other, we learn that real love is not selfish. It seeks the good of the one who is loved, not the good of the one who loves.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #1694 on: June 05, 2009, 03:31:02 pm »
Last night I watched Brokeback Mountain.

It has been a while since I typed such a thing. It has been a while since I saw it, probably back in the fall, well over six months.

I found myself still remembering what I was thinking or feeling the first time I saw it. Like touchstones necessary for an obsessive compulsive to quantify enjoyment. Looked for all the bloomers, the missing log on the chopping block, the whiskey bottle that disappears from Jack's hand and then reappears.

I found myself looking at the two fights Jack and Ennis engage in, one when they leave the mountain and the other in the trail head parking lot, where Ennis, exhausted, says "I can't stand it anymore". Both times it seems, he is blaming Jack for what he feels.

But what soothed me, what was balm was two things:

The music, the wonderful pathos of the soundtrack, summing up the unspoken feeling, and;

The memory, of having been to a number of those places, what the sun and the wind felt like, what my heart felt like beating in those wonderful places, the memories of friends made o that trip.

I had to pull out Refinding Brokeback and watching it too.  ;D

There is still magic, it can still be accessed, and you can still count on the phone to ring just when Ennis climbs the stairs (Hey Chuck!)

You bring it back for me too.  I haven't watched it in a long time - since maybe Christmas at Fiona's gathering?  Ron wants me to watch it with him next time.  He's turned into a fine Brokie for someone who only saw the film once!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #1695 on: June 05, 2009, 03:33:07 pm »
Between Plato on the one hand and St. Paul on the other, we learn that real love is not selfish. It seeks the good of the one who is loved, not the good of the one who loves.

I like.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #1696 on: June 05, 2009, 04:16:11 pm »
Does Bisexual mean you only have sex twice?
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1697 on: June 05, 2009, 04:17:04 pm »
Twice a day.  ;)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1698 on: June 05, 2009, 10:47:11 pm »
Does Bisexual mean you only have sex twice?

Of course not. You know what Woody Allen says about it: It doubles your chances for a date on Saturday night.

Or, I would say, it doubles your chances for rejection.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #1699 on: June 06, 2009, 04:38:51 pm »
Hey Truman!  :D
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/