Author Topic: Thoughts for the day  (Read 1198276 times)

karen1129

Re: Thoughts for the day
« Reply #470 on: December 02, 2007, 12:51:37 am »
I would be interested in hearing of some of the hotels you are talking about in Manhattan for future reference.

Jack, I have stayed at a couple of different hotels in NYC.  The prices aren't bad, depending on when you go.
I am going first week of January, and the rates are good then.
Also, when I was there over Labor Day, I think I only paid $200 a night at the Park Central.
The 3 star hotels are more reasonable.  Rooms are fine , but small, but that is to be expected in
NYC.  All I need is a clean bed.  I ain't in the room that much ! :D

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #471 on: December 02, 2007, 01:23:03 am »
Thanks for the advice Karen. I remember Park Central and from what I remember it was very nice. It does depend on when you go. The deal I found for around Christmas is a great price. That has to do with the time of the year I guess and that I had stayed there before. They actually sent me the special rates. It was the Westin which is quite nice. Now the hotel next door to it could be a different story. It is called the Hotel Carter and I believe it might be way past run down  :) I actually walked into the lobby of it when I was there and it had some kind of weird disco lights going. You could tell that at one time in history it was nice since it had those big fancy chandiliers in it. Anyway, I believe the sign said $99 a night. It also had quite an odor  ::) I read later in the newspaper that a body wrapped in plastic had been found under a bed at a Times Square hotel and guess where it was. The Hotel Carter  :o So that is one where you do not get the clean bed or clean anything  :laugh:

Offline opinionista

« Reply #472 on: December 02, 2007, 08:57:48 am »
I would be interested in hearing of some of the hotels you are talking about in Manhattan for future reference.

I usually stay with friends and family when I visit but my friends stayed at the Union Square Inn the last time I went. They said it was nice. It is an affordable hotel for NYC standards. Rates range around $160 per night. My friends didn't think that was cheap because in Europe you can find nicer hotels at lower rates. But this is NYC we're talking about! Here's their website:
http://www.nyinns.com/union.html

Also, you can find great special rates in January at great hotels. My mother and her husband stayed at the Waldorf Astoria for $200 a night in January 2004. Look up special rates during low seasons. You might find interesting offers.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #473 on: December 02, 2007, 11:37:58 am »
I usually stay with friends and family when I visit but my friends stayed at the Union Square Inn the last time I went. They said it was nice. It is an affordable hotel for NYC standards. Rates range around $160 per night. My friends didn't think that was cheap because in Europe you can find nicer hotels at lower rates. But this is NYC we're talking about! Here's their website:
http://www.nyinns.com/union.html

Also, you can find great special rates in January at great hotels. My mother and her husband stayed at the Waldorf Astoria for $200 a night in January 2004. Look up special rates during low seasons. You might find interesting offers.

That is incredibly cheap for the Waldorf Astoria!!! That is a beautiful hotel. I got off the tour bus there last time and went inside. I would have never thought you could ever stay there for $200 a night. I will check out the link you gave me for the Union Square Inn. Thanks for letting me know about these places. I think with NYC you find out more and more about it as you become more familiar with things. I finally found the non toursit type, non Times Square restaurants, just as I was leaving last time. However, I did find Junior's diner which is a great and unique place near the theatre district. I also saw their original diner in Brooklyn when I was on the Gray Line bus. By the way that is a great and cheap way to see lots and lots of places in the city. You can get off the bus pretty much anywhere you want, then explore that area and catch the next bus.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #474 on: December 02, 2007, 01:18:29 pm »
That is incredibly cheap for the Waldorf Astoria!!! That is a beautiful hotel. I got off the tour bus there last time and went inside. I would have never thought you could ever stay there for $200 a night. I will check out the link you gave me for the Union Square Inn. Thanks for letting me know about these places. I think with NYC you find out more and more about it as you become more familiar with things. I finally found the non toursit type, non Times Square restaurants, just as I was leaving last time. However, I did find Junior's diner which is a great and unique place near the theatre district. I also saw their original diner in Brooklyn when I was on the Gray Line bus. By the way that is a great and cheap way to see lots and lots of places in the city. You can get off the bus pretty much anywhere you want, then explore that area and catch the next bus.

My mom said they didn't give them the best room of course, but they were thrilled anyway. As for non tourist restaurants, I lived in NY two years a long time ago. I didn't have much money then so I didn't eat out much (Rent is sooo high in NYC). But I did find nice places at reasonable prices in Brooklyn. Brooklyn Heights for example is very, very nice. A great place to explore. I always recommend everyone to cross the Brooklyn Bridge on foot, from Brooklyn to Manhattan. You get wonderful views! Also around the East Village you can find great places to eat, and rather cheap, unlike the West Village that's mostly quite pricey.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #475 on: December 02, 2007, 03:24:09 pm »
Man, when's the next NYC Brokie gathering??   I want to go — I've never been to NY!   We should get a block of rooms or something at one of those cool places.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #476 on: December 02, 2007, 03:31:50 pm »
Man, when's the next NYC Brokie gathering??   I want to go — I've never been to NY!   We should get a block of rooms or something at one of those cool places.

Now that would be fun!!! And next time I am there I do want to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. Some people on the bus got off and did that, but I was running out of time. One of the reasons why I am thinking about moving my next visit from Christmas is because I want to explore a lot of areas and I'm not so sure that would be as good in the cold. I've never been there in the winter.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #477 on: December 02, 2007, 03:49:52 pm »
Karen1129 will be coming up just after New Years.  Jan 5th, I believe.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #478 on: December 02, 2007, 05:26:40 pm »
Karen1129 will be coming up just after New Years.  Jan 5th, I believe.

Yes, Karen did say she was going to NYC in January  :)

Offline BelAir

« Reply #479 on: December 02, 2007, 08:06:21 pm »
My mom said they didn't give them the best room of course, but they were thrilled anyway. As for non tourist restaurants, I lived in NY two years a long time ago. I didn't have much money then so I didn't eat out much (Rent is sooo high in NYC). But I did find nice places at reasonable prices in Brooklyn. Brooklyn Heights for example is very, very nice. A great place to explore. I always recommend everyone to cross the Brooklyn Bridge on foot, from Brooklyn to Manhattan. You get wonderful views! Also around the East Village you can find great places to eat, and rather cheap, unlike the West Village that's mostly quite pricey.

Nat,

I am going to have to remember to book you as my travel advisor the next time I plan a trip to NYC!

:)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."