Author Topic: Thoughts on Current TV Shows  (Read 43485 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Thoughts on Current TV Shows
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2007, 09:03:13 pm »
I still like the cowboy look better, but seriously I have never really watched Dancing with the Stars except maybe a minute here and there. I used to not understand Amazing Race either. I found that it is the kind of show that you have to give all of your attention to. It is very fast paced so if you don't watch closely things can change dramatically. First place to last place to elimination is quite easy to do very quickly.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2008, 08:00:24 pm »
I am glad you have revived this topic. It is a good time to do so after the writers' strike and also when many new shows have either started or old ones have started production. The shows I watch regularly are Survivor, Two and A Half Men, The New Adventures of Old Christine, The Big Bang Theory, and Jericho. Jericho has even become a better show in my opinion. If I had more time to concentrate on Lost I would like it bettter. I have been watching The Captain, but I'm not sure what I think about it yet. Also, I definitely like Journeyman and I hope it comes back. Oh yeah, I still like Ghost Whisperer and Cold Case too.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2008, 09:08:12 pm »
I think they want to see how Jericho does before making more shows so they really have it listed as a mini series right now. You did hear how the fans got them to put it back on, didn't you? They sent tons of peanuts to CBS. Also I would add Amazing Race, but it is not on right now. I love Amazing Race!!!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2008, 03:53:06 pm »
The big band theory just started here last week jack - when i saw it advertised i thought of you!

Its quite funny!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2008, 04:15:13 pm »
The funny thing is Kelda I thought it was the stupidest show I had ever seen the first time I saw it. And then I got used to the characters and then started liking it. It almost reminds me a bit of Third Rock From The Sun. Do you know that one?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2008, 04:26:05 pm »
I do yeah, kinda wierd sense of humour in that but I can see what you mean about the likeness
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2008, 07:50:49 pm »
You're right that is a weird sense of humor, but some of the things they say remind of 3rd Rock. Except they haven't served cat food yet  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2008, 04:20:06 pm »
MoonLight (watch it - it is sooo good),

I've read that Moonlight is supposed to return April 11.  :D

DexterDexter was a Showtime show but is currently being aired on one of the networks (with some editing).

I watched the first network broadcast--and I love Michael C. Hall!  :D --but last Sunday I was too tired to stay up and watch it.  :(

I plan to start watching The Tudors.

I have read and continue to read lots of Tudor history. I've heard from people I trust about how innaccurate and unhistorical the series is so that I won't be caught dead watching it, even though it has some good "names" in it.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 11:47:51 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2008, 12:01:34 am »
Oh, I didn't know that.  I was stuck waiting at my daughter's school today for 2 hours and thought I'd watch a little Tudors on my iPhone, and wouldn't you know there was a naked scene within 5 minutes of the start of the episode, with all kinds of little tykes running around behind me.  I turned that off real fast!

Well, what I can remember that galled me the most was the way they screwed up the siblings of Henry VIII.

In historical reality, Henry had two sisters who survived to adulthood, an older sister named Margaret, and a younger sister named Mary. For diplomatic reasons, Margaret was sent off by her father, Henry VII, to marry the king of Scotland. Margaret's granddaughter was the hapless monarch known to history as Mary, Queen of Scots, whose son succeeded Elizabeth I on the English throne, so that it was from Margaret's marriage to James IV of Scotland that the house of Stuart ultimately derived its claim to the throne of England.

Meanwhile, for the usual diplomatic reasons Henry VIII essentially forced his younger sister, Mary, to marry the elderly king of France. Mary, meanwhile, fell in love with Henry's buddy Charles Brandon, duke of Suffolk. When Mary's French royal husband promptly died, she and Brandon married, initially without Henry's permission, though eventually he accepted their marriage. Mary and Charles had a daughter, Frances, who married a certain Henry Grey, who became duke of Suffolk by marrying Frances. Henry and Frances had a daughter, Jane, known to history as the unfortunate Lady Jane Grey, "the nine-day's queen of England."

I love Tudor period English history. Genealogy was politics, and vice versa!  ;D

I think I remember being told that in The Tudors, Henry's sisters got conflated into one, called Margaret, who was sent of to marry the king of Portugal?  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2008, 12:32:49 pm »
Thank you for the historical info.  Very interesting!  Combining characters is a trick often used on TV, but I'm sure it is annoying if you know the real history.

That's the thing for me. I find the reality of Tudor history so exciting and dramatic enough as it is.

Anybody interested in more historically accurate dramatizations of the period should check out the old series, The Six Wives of Henry VIII, which ran on Masterpiece Theatre in the 1970s, and Elizabeth R, with Glenda Jackson as Elizabeth I, which also ran on Masterpiece Theatre. Both are available on DVD.

The actor who played Henry VIII gave, for me, the definitive screen portrayal of the king. I'm sure makeup helped, but in those days the British had a knack for casting actors who actually resembled--or could be made to resemble--the historical figures they were portraying, based on surviving portraits. Jonathan Rhys Meyers is a hottie, but I can't quite wrap my mind around the idea of him as Henry VIII. He's just not physically imposing enough.