Author Topic: The First Tent scene in Slow motion  (Read 6651 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
The First Tent scene in Slow motion
« on: May 13, 2006, 07:12:45 am »
OK,   I did it.    I watched the first tent scene in slow motion (half speed).   DVD technology is great isn't it?   

OMG!     This scene is soooo much better this way.   No audio unfortunately, but way more passionate!      The part where the boys are up and facing eachother is awsome.   They are holding eachothers heads and faces.   Jack is looking longingly into Ennis's eyes.     Even when Ennis flips Jack over and takes charge, that whole scene flows much better when viewed half speed.   Soooo much more intimate.   I wish it was filmed at a slower pace for the movie now.   

David

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
Re: The First Tent scene in Slow motion
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 10:18:42 am »
David, you never fail to put a smile on my face! If only we could slow down the motion in real life too sometimes, hunh?!
But I am still sooooo technologically challenged, I wouldn't know how to do this! Can you tell me how you do slow motion with a DVD please? I am curious now!
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 11:41:35 am »
I am on viewing restriction until San Francisco so I can't go try this. But, I have rewound in slow-mo a hunnert times and, I agree, it is so much more intimate slow. You really get the detail of their hunger for each other-things that you don't have time to focus on in regular speed.

O0

Heathen

Offline Sashca1007

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 01:09:08 pm »
David, you are SO right!  One of the very first things I did when I bought my DVD was slow down the first tent scene.  I don't know much about the system I was using (my daughter's, because she has a bigger TV screen than mine!) but the slo-mo that it offered was 1/2,1/8,1/16, and 1/32--  I chose the 1/32 which is incredibly slow--  I was seeing details I'd never dreamed were there.  At regular speed the scene goes by way too quickly, but slowing it down shows the expressions on their faces--  Jack's intense desire for Ennis....  Ennis' face as his gun is gettin' ready to go off--  wow! Watching this gave me a deeper (!) appreciation for Heath and Jake's acting--  this scene shows that these actors were 'in the moment'..... they gave a hunderd percent of themselves (I fantasize they weren't acting!) when a good part of it is not even noticed at the theatrical screenings because it is so quick and dark.  And I haven't even mentioned the HANDS!  I never once was able to see the hands at the theater, but on the DVD, and slowed down.....  Oh-h-hh...!  I originally bought the widescreen, but after sfericsf told me about the benefits of this particular fullscreen, I bought that version too, and it was worth it.  Now the scene becomes so much more than a 'high altitude'  ;), it oozes with desire that seems more loving, and even tender.  The fact that some people (not any of us!) have referred to TS1 as a 'rape scene' is both laughable and sickening.  And...which one of them is the supposed victim?  Ha! As if rape victims held their attacker's faces and hands with that kind of love....   hmff.

If any of you can slow it down to that level (1/32 is all I know about it) it is well worth it.  The other scenes I viewed that way were TS2 (of course!) and the reunion kiss--  and THAT was incredible, too---  their FACES....  could make a person believe that passion was real, and not just exquisite acting by these young men.  Dang, they're good.
"From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking."

Offline Two_mules

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 08:44:43 pm »
And I haven't even mentioned the HANDS!  I never once was able to see the hands at the theater, but on the DVD, and slowed down.....  Oh-h-hh...! 

Meryl and I watched this over and over in slo-mo. For me, too, it was the first time I'd noticed the hands, despite seeing it 9 or 10 times at the cinema. There are so many films with indifferent het scenes, where I have to suspend belief, as a viewer, as to the actors feelings for each other, but here the chemistry between Heath and Jake is explosive.

Dang, they're good.

They sure are.
Give back your heart to itself, to the stranger who has loved you all your life, whom you ignored for another, who knows you by heart.
~ Derek Walcott, Love After Love

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 11:10:09 am »
YOu are so right, David, slo mo is good and so is advancing frame by frame.  Sure, it takes a while, but I'm in no hurry to have those images pass by.  I've slo mo'd and frame by framed through a lot of the moments of the movie, just to see those little facial expressions we love.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 12:18:03 pm »
Wish I weren't so technologically inept -- I can barely manage reverse and fast-forward. But I'll try to figure it out. Just stretching these way-too-abreviated scenes out a little LOOOOOOONGER is reason enough.

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 12:21:01 pm »
LOL I tried this the first time I got the DVD, well after watching the film through fully first, and it is so intimate I just love it. But also a new button I have discovered on my DVD remote since I got BBM: my wonderful 6x zoom! I swear the button has almost worn away from my remote.
My life is not complete without seeing that string of spit up close and personal.
Trust me there are alot of scenes that look even better 6x bigger, trust me.
I am sure I will aslo be using my very special half-time and 6x zoom when I get my Jarhead DVD tomorrow. I wonder what scene I will be watching close up and in slow motion....I wonder! ;D
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 12:56:51 pm »
Wish I weren't so technologically inept -- .

So am I Katherine, but I have worked it out! Try this:
Play the film, and when you get to the scene you want in slo mo, press PAUSE and then FAST FORWARD! It will give you different speeds according to how many times you press FF. The slowest is if you press FF just once!
 Let me know if this works! Haven't had opportunity to watch yet, as I want to be on my own, but will first chance (I tried it on another film, and everyone wondered why I wanted to see the character open her fridge in slow motion!)
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 01:26:37 pm »
Ah yes, the slo-mo feature!  The unsung legendary heroes of our time (may they be showered with blessings!) are those nameless folks who brought us the remote control with all its divine attributes:  the blessed mute button, the holy fast forward and reverse, and yes, the sacred slow motion replay.  I love living in the Age of Technology.  8)  8)  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...