Author Topic: Different strokes for different folks - or: Why can't I move the shower head?  (Read 26651 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
I think there's hostility towards Mickey D in Europe because it is bad food.

It's bad food in the States, too.  Y'all aren't getting anything special.  No need to be mad about it.  ;D

Anyway, something I wanted to comment. This is something I have seen in Cataluña, especially in Barcelona and in the South of France. Never in Madrid or Greece. Some apartments, houses and even hotel rooms have the toilet in one room, and the bathtub and the sink in a separate one. Sometimes the bathtub and the sink are all the way down at the other end of corridor. So, you use the toilet, and then have to walk all the way down to the other end to wash your hands. WHY? Does this happen in other European countries as well?

:laugh: :laugh:  Makes for unsanitary conditions if you ask me.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
I'll start with the shower heads: In Europe, we have this type of shower heads

In the US (and in American movies), I saw only this type:

The European ones are attached to a stake and have a flexible hose. You can position them like you want or take them off the wall. In the US, the shower head is directly fixed to the wall. I was like 'Hey why can't I adjust the shower head?'  :laugh:

Well Chrissi, I went to Oxford in June, and stayed with a friend who had the type of showerhead you like, and i hated it.

He didn't have the hook on the wall, the shower head was laying across a shelf.  I grabbed it, turned it on, and proceeded to soak the back wall and floor.

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

Bidets. We don't have very many of those in the US and many Americans aren't quite sure what we're supposed to do with them.  ???

I've never seen a bidet, much less used one, but I know what they're for, and would like to have one.  lmao!   :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Different strokes for different folks - or: Why can't I move the shower head
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2008, 06:15:31 pm »

Just never appeared to me that the water pressure is strong enough...

Offline CellarDweller

Re: Different strokes for different folks - or: Why can't I move the shower head?
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2008, 07:49:42 pm »
With my luck, it would be like "old faithful" and shoot me to the ceiling.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: Different strokes for different folks - or: Why can't I move the shower head?
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 12:02:57 pm »
With my luck, it would be like "old faithful" and shoot me to the ceiling.

:o OMG  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If you ever try it, take your camera whith you ;) ;D

Reading the sentence in preview, I want to add:
Noooo, I'm not interested in any privates, I only want to see you fly :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 10:36:15 am »
Noooo, I'm not interested in any privates, I only want to see you fly :laugh:

story of my life.  :laugh:

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Different strokes for different folks - or: Why can't I move the shower head
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2008, 11:54:55 am »
Just never appeared to me that the water pressure is strong enough...

I really miss having a bidet.We had them in all our houses in England.

Another odd thing in America, a lot of kitchen cabinets do not have handles, odd. If you want them they are an add on.

Baths here are like swimming pools, I have given up on baths as I could fall asleep waiting for it to fill. Then I have a problem with the shower as they are fixed and way too high for me.

Beds are realatively cheap, but matresses are stupidly expensive here.

I miss having a duvet, we have a sheet and comforter here, but the only time I tried to wash the comforter it died.Easier in England, just remove the cover, hey presto.

Cell phones here have the incomming calls deducted off your minutes,that really annoys me. I can't control who rings me.

Love the big fridges.

Hate having to pay a premium for a front loading washer. Top loader is no good for me,I would need a step ladder.

Love A/C as opposed to central heating and radiators everywhere.

No where near as much choice in supermarkets here.

Love much cheaper gas

Love friendly assistants as opposed to very rude ones in England.

T.V really miss English T.V sorry I guess at my age I am just attuned to the English comedy and drama.

Love drive through pharmacy, bank, starbucks etc

Love much much cheaper clothes, alcohol,eating out,

Hate stupidly expensive prescriptions.

Turn right on red, is just the best thing ever !!!!

O.K that's enough for now

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2008, 12:13:47 pm »
Another odd thing in America, a lot of kitchen cabinets do not have handles, odd. If you want them they are an add on.

When I remodelled my kitchen a few years ago, the cabinetry came without handles. That didn't strike me as odd at the time--it just allowed you to customize and pick the hardware that you want. Now, however, I wonder whether the makers of the hardware get kickbacks from the makers of the cabinetry, or if there is some other sort of conspiracy going on.  ;D

I miss having a duvet, we have a sheet and comforter here, but the only time I tried to wash the comforter it died. Easier in England, just remove the cover, hey presto.

We must have duvets available here in the U.S. I remember they made jokes about them on Frasier.  ;D  Try taking the comforter to a laundry where they have really large washing machines.

Love the big fridges.

Why is that English kitchens have tiny little under-the-counter refrigerators? Is it from the habit of shopping for food every day? In a couple of the "Britcoms" that I watch regularly, they have nice, large kitchens, with automatic dishwashers, even,  but only these tiny little refrigerators.  ???

T.V really miss English T.V sorry I guess at my age I am just attuned to the English comedy and drama.

Doesn't your local PBS station carry British comedies? Ours shows one every evening at 7:30.  :)

"It's the Bou-KAY residence! The lady of the house speaking!"  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.