Author Topic: Different strokes for different folks - or: Why can't I move the shower head?  (Read 26644 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Different strokes for different folks - or: Why can't I move the shower head?
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2008, 09:39:30 am »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't mean to laugh, but I've never heard that expression before.  I love it!

Glad to have cheered up your day.I keep forgetting and using English expressions.My kids go nuts with me about it.

Here are a few more you may not have come across.

Don't get your knickers in a twist. stop worrying

Falling arse over tit.  falling over

shut your gob/cake hole /pie hole.  shut up.

Pissed as a newt/fart. 
drunk.

Manky, hanging, minging, implies something someone is less than lovely. They are very north England sayings.

Nice buns, is nice cakes not behinds as it is here.

Going out for a few jars tonight. off to have a few alcoholic beverages.

Heres one you may take offence at, but it is not meant to upset anyone. If you call some one a cowboy in England, it means they are a very poor workman.

I eneded up in deep do dahs here when the A/C man arrived to fix our units. I told him the person who had fitted it must have been a right cowboy!!!
That conversation went off into the realms of the ridiculous, but was along the lines of, they let horses in here!!! well no.
So do you all ride? wel only if he is good looking !!!

The rest is not printable in public but was decidely surreal.I am not sure the poor guy will ever recover.Talk about a mix up.

You made a right cock up of that. You made areal mess. Again that has landed me in some trouble in the early days.

At the store to one of our meat cutters, pass me a rubber will you. Poor guy nearly passed out,it is eraser here.

SOD off . go away, ditto piss off.

I could go on ad infinitum but I will leave you with just a few  more.

I am feeling rough as a bears arse this morning. I have felt better.

You toffee nosed git. You stuck up ididot.

Finally and these are  not for the delicate, she's had more men in her than the Mersey tunnel(a large tunnel in Liverpool) self explanatory I think.

He/she would shag a sheep. would have sex with anyone .

Hope I have raised a few more smiles and not offended anyone.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Different strokes for different folks - or: Why can't I move the shower head?
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2008, 10:07:30 am »

"The Bill" is one of my favourite TV programs, Fiona, so I'm familiar with a lot of those English expressions. And many are also used here in Oz. Speaking of "The Bill," I'm presently reading "Too Many Mothers," the autobiography of Roberta Taylor, the actress who plays the part of Gina Gold in "The Bill." The dust jacket blurb advises it's, "A memoir of an East End childhood." It's had me in stitches. Strongly recommended.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2008, 10:17:23 am »

Thanks! Some of those were familiar, thanks to television.  :)

May I ask about one I heard on one of the Britcoms? "Knackered"? I'm not sure of the spelling, of course, but are you familiar with that one?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline McNell

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2008, 11:17:33 am »
Glad to have cheered up your day.I keep forgetting and using English expressions.My kids go nuts with me about it.

Here are a few more you may not have come across.

Don't get your knickers in a twist. stop worrying

Falling arse over tit.  falling over

shut your gob/cake hole /pie hole.  shut up.

Pissed as a newt/fart. 
drunk.

Manky, hanging, minging, implies something someone is less than lovely. They are very north England sayings.

Nice buns, is nice cakes not behinds as it is here.

Going out for a few jars tonight. off to have a few alcoholic beverages.

Heres one you may take offence at, but it is not meant to upset anyone. If you call some one a cowboy in England, it means they are a very poor workman.

I eneded up in deep do dahs here when the A/C man arrived to fix our units. I told him the person who had fitted it must have been a right cowboy!!!
That conversation went off into the realms of the ridiculous, but was along the lines of, they let horses in here!!! well no.
So do you all ride? wel only if he is good looking !!!

The rest is not printable in public but was decidely surreal.I am not sure the poor guy will ever recover.Talk about a mix up.

You made a right cock up of that. You made areal mess. Again that has landed me in some trouble in the early days.

At the store to one of our meat cutters, pass me a rubber will you. Poor guy nearly passed out,it is eraser here.

SOD off . go away, ditto piss off.

I am feeling rough as a bears arse this morning. I have felt better.

You toffee nosed git. You stuck up ididot.

Finally and these are  not for the delicate, she's had more men in her than the Mersey tunnel(a large tunnel in Liverpool) self explanatory I think.

He/she would shag a sheep. would have sex with anyone .

Hope I have raised a few more smiles and not offended anyone.

bwahahaha...:D

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2008, 01:11:47 pm »
aye those once are good ones all right - so many scottish sayings i could put here too but not in the right frame of mind at the mo!!

Have a look at this - http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,20509.0.html

Gavin and Stacey is new and is also definitely on on BBC America... you can video it if its on odd time.. or should I say tivo it!?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline optom3

« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2008, 02:01:21 pm »

May I ask about one I heard on one of the Britcoms? "Knackered"? I'm not sure of the spelling, of course, but are you familiar with that one?

Spelling is spot on and it means very tired,another one is shagged.The latter is a little more coarse !!!

Offline optom3

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2008, 02:05:05 pm »
aye those once are good ones all right - so many scottish sayings i could put here too but not in the right frame of mind at the mo!!

Have a look at this - http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,20509.0.html

Gavin and Stacey is new and is also definitely on on BBC America... you can video it if its on odd time.. or should I say tivo it!?

Just started to watch that,and was laughing my head off.I suddenly remembered it from your thread and youtube posts.Not sure how it will translate into an American version though.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2008, 02:12:26 pm »
Well the offixe worked so you never know!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline ZK

Heres a link for Mrs Slocombe

Well spelt and I'd just say say its tired rather than shagged, well at least thats a kiwi explanation.

You know what, I was chatting to this guy on a dating site, and to be honest I do use the term knackered infrequently, any way I was trying to be real smart and thought knackered was spelt shall we say somewhat differently, oh heck so here I am pm'ing this potential date saying that I am absolutely naked at the moment  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

PS I did get the date  :laugh: :laugh:

I had no idea that you don't have duvets in the US?? Gee it must take you ages to make the bed in the morning!!
Sorry but here we would never have biscuits and gravy, biscuits are the same as cookies.
Other difference is we never ever tip here. So its always a puzzle when I am away how much to give. The Travel Agency I used to work for had a little card which we would include with tickets to give our clients an idea how much they should tip

Love the fridges in the US with ice making part. Cool idea - no pun intended

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Other difference is we never ever tip here. So its always a puzzle when I am away how much to give. The Travel Agency I used to work for had a little card which we would include with tickets to give our clients an idea how much they should tip.

I think Americans are a tad bit tip crazy.

There's a parking garage I use when I go to NYC.  I always use this one, because you park the car yourself, your keys never leave you, and there's no waiting for an attendant/valet to bring you your car.

You pay the cashier, and then get your car, and slide your validated ticket into the machine to raise the gate.

In the last year, a "tip jar" has appeared by the cashier.  When I saw that, I wanted to say "Why should I tip you?  I pulled the car in myself, took my own ticket, parked it myself, and will leave on my own.....the only thing you are doing is validating my ticket."

I refuse to tip you just because you are there.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!