Author Topic: How Do You Feel About Circumcision?  (Read 42787 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: How Do You Feel About Circumcision?
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2007, 03:44:11 pm »
It's interesting that people are pooh-poohing the importance of boys looking like their fathers, when what brought us all here in the first place is a movie based on a story about guy who, as a kid, found out he didn't look like his father and was traumatized by the discovery.

C'mon, sistah. I know that you know better than that  ;)
Do you really think Jack would have been traumatisized, had he discovered the difference during a casual "who can pee farthest" competition between himself and his loving and caring father?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2007, 03:48:58 pm »
Just to throw this into the mix, there are some body parts that aren't necessary. Appendixes, for one. And I think tonsils perform some minor function, but obviously aren't crucial. Both those body parts cause more problems than they solve.

If appendixes and tonsils were easier to get to without general anesthesia, maybe newborns would have those things removed, too.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2007, 03:59:05 pm »
Just to throw this into the mix, there are some body parts that aren't necessary. Appendixes, for one. And I think tonsils perform some minor function, but obviously aren't crucial. Both those body parts cause more problems than they solve.

Not true. At least not for tonsils. They do have an important role in immune defense, and today they aren't removed without a strong indication to do so.
Of course you are right that they are not crucial. But the same is true for earlobes (just the bottom part). But you wouldn't let it be cut off.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2007, 04:12:40 pm »
Of course you are right that they are not crucial. But the same is true for earlobes (just the bottom part). But you wouldn't let it be cut off.

Well, I did let my earlobes be mutilated --once on one side and three times on the other. That's because my culture considers that particular form of mutilation attractive. If the culture deemed earlobe removal attractive, who knows, maybe I'd have done that.

I think, health questions aside, that's a lot of what this discussion is about.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2007, 04:41:26 pm »
Well, I did let my earlobes be mutilated -- three times, on one side. That's because my culture considers that particular form of mutilation attractive. If the culture deemed earlobe removal attractive, who knows, maybe I'd have done that.

He he, same here. Three earpiercings on the left side, two on the right. But I decided it myself. I would not do it with my small child. Not one single earpiercing. My oldest daughter had to beg for years to get her earlobes pierced, she was nine when I finally gave in.

My point was in reply to your comment about appendixes or tonsils possibly being removed often, if they were easier to get out. I don't think so.
Apart from C. and female mutilation (and we don't need to discuss the latter), very few cultures cut off less important body parts. In fact, the only example I can think of are African tribes which put (huge) holes in their earlobes and lower lips or stretch their necks (but even they don't cut something off).

I think, health questions aside, that's a lot of what this discussion is about.

This goes with David going back to the original question: how do you feel about C. ?(I know he made a joke, but nevertheless)
 - I don't like it. I think you should not cut off any body parts from your children if not necessary. Hell, I'm even against cutting off tails, ears or claws from dogs and cats, so why would I mess with my children's genitals?
But of course, my feelings are affected by the culture I've grown up in.

Whole different thing is a deliberate decision by an adult male. If my husband liked to get a C. - well, it's his foreskin, so he is to decide. (BTW: he cringes by the mere thought of it  :laugh: ;D)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2007, 04:56:33 pm »
  But in some cases where people have large tonsils, they can cause more problems.    Increased occurances of Strep throat, etc.

Yup. My daughters tonsils were so big, they pressed on the eustachian tube, so her ears couldn't be aerated properly. Therefore she had many otitis media and her hearing was impaired by it. Her tonsils were removed.
If it is "only" increased occurances of strep thorat, doctors ususally wait to see if the child does outgrow it. But of course, in every case it has to be an individual decision.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2007, 05:16:32 pm »
ROFLOL!!!!!!!!      :laugh:

I guess you have to be another Lutheran to really appreciate that comment! 

I hear ya Jeff!

I think I need to look into the Lutheran Church a little closer!  :D
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2007, 05:26:20 pm »
I personally am against Circumcision. But I didn't vote yet, since I find the wording of "barbaric and inhumane" too strong (guess I'll probably take this option still).

Yeah, I acknowledge I did word that a tad strong. I'll put a little more thought into it next time.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2007, 05:32:09 pm »
Regarding the passage in the short Story Brokeback Mountain, I found the aformention passage about Jack being "dick clipped" one of the lesser needed. Proulx says that Jack saw his father had material he didn't have and there was no way of making it right with him. Ths coud get off on a whole new tangent, but I never really understood why that was in there.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2007, 06:18:24 pm »
I don't think it's too OT, since it combines the subject of the thread with the subject of the whole website.  ;D

Personally, I don't like this scene. But I think it's intended to symbolize Jack discovering the more important difference between him and his father, sexually.

Actually, on second thought, I'm going to shut up now, because my thoughts are veering toward comments that are probably better expressed on the Open Forum, perhaps in a TOTW.