Author Topic: Calling all Europeans - Political Commentary  (Read 4550 times)

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
Re: Calling all Europeans - Political Commentary
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 04:06:39 pm »
See, I hate the phrase "War on Terror". Like all wars on philosophies, ideas, and tactics, this is a vague principle that could mean just about anything to anyone. Now "War against terrorists." is better, but not much so, since terrorist is also a vague principle. What is best of all, though, is a specific declaration of warfare against a particular terrorist organization or an individual. Then the conflcit becomes something not so vague that anything could be the result.  Just a few thoughts.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 05:28:28 pm »
Well no doubt that most WE's would completely go along with you in that, Daniel - I was merely using the US "catchphrase" to simplify explaining what people do still seem to mostly agree on - that taking concrete action to hinder further terrorist attacks is justifiable and even necessary, - but the means should be commensurate with the ends.... and there is much disagreement on the means.

The number of people who thought the invasion of Iraq had anything to do with said "War on terror" was not big to begin with, and I would suppose by now it's been dwindling to a small minority.

What I wonder, is how large a percentage of us Europeans distinguish "America and Americans" and the current administration, and have separate views of the two... Instinctively it's an easy thing to do, and I think to some not inconsiderable degree we all do it. Western Europe owe the US so very much (from recent history), and the US and its high principles of free speech and liberty etc. have overall been such a strong role model for our culture and society and development, has been looked up to and admired (well, sometimes not, like during the Vietnam War - but it's been a love/hate relationship even in those instances) Many have American friends and/or family who they of course like or love no less than before...

So far I've tried to generalize WE opinion without going into my own... but here is that, too:

I believe many of us can't bring ourselves to actually thinking of the Bush administration truly representing the USA.  I know I couldn't, at least not during the first four years of the precidency. Like the "real" USA was still the same, intact, but currently partly eclipsed. The re-election was such an enormous shock because it seemed to prove that wrong, - I couldn't believe the American people would cast aside so many of its cherished principles.... would be governed by so much by fear as to give up civil rights and set aside human rights. That was frightening. Honestly, I still can't believe it.

Also I am yet wondering what the fallout of the Patriot Act will be. I think you've not seen the true consequences of that yet, I think most Americans probably don't realize the potentially devastating consequences to their free democracy. And that it's probably irreversible once put in motion - or has any of the Democrat candidates currently wying for the presidency said they'll work to abolish the PA? If so it's slipped by me. Depending on the future practical use of the PA, it may impact WE popular opinion further as concerns the US. (It may also impact WE countries to enact the same type of laws, - many countries have gone a far way in that direction already.)

*sigh* See what you've made me do! I'd promised myself not to get into any political debates like this on the net. Oh well.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 05:57:13 pm »
NO! I know how horrible the Patriot Act and Patriot Act II are! Someone help us! Our country has been taken over by fascist terrorists and they're gonna crash it into something! I can just feel it. Well don't help us yet.. we're gonna try something a little daring and dangerous this next election. A light of hope? A voice of reason? Someone willing to stand up to the administration and the administration elect.  Okay, I guess thats enough doom and destruction for one day, eh?

P.S. No disrespect intended except for deserving political forces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG_HuFtP8w8
[youtube=425,350]FG_HuFtP8w8[/youtube]
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.