Author Topic: Ghosts, do you believe?  (Read 9824 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Ghosts, do you believe?
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 01:55:12 am »
Not sure... could be!!

Newstead Abbey is supposed to be haunted by tons of ghosts (Lord Byron's house).  Lord Byron claimed he talked to them all the time but maybe they were just the voices in his head.  I've tried to see the lady riding in a horse and carriage and the evil Monk next to Byrons bedchamber and the monks in the courtyard.  But alas they have never revealed themselves to me ... or perhaps that's a good thing!!  :o :o

They do special night time ghost walks around Newstead at Halloween but I'm too scared to go on one ... just in case!

Susie   

I think my British boyfriend has talked about this place. Isn't it in Nottingham? And it was built as a monastery about a thousand years ago? Yes, I should imagine there are plenty of ghosts in there Susie!! I wish I was in England. I'd sit out there and watch for them with you!!  :D

I love doing things like that!

Hey! I just noticed something! You're close to achieving 3000 Susie! Get to posting, girl friend!!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 02:15:35 am »
I can handle seeing something, but the touching part is the WORST!! This has happened to me too, Dottie. It's a very creepy feeling, isn't it?  :P

Oh yes being touched in beyond creepy!
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 02:17:08 am »

Well I have never seen a ghost.  But I have heard one....and I have seen something odd just after my brothers
suicide.  \

The first was with five of my daughters friends.  We had a slumber party for them...Now you might say, they had been sitting around telling ghost stories and worked themselves into a mind screw.  Then the answer to that is, it was still early, we were all sitting around the breakfast bar eating...pizza, and chips, and pop....so we were stone sober.
       Our driveway ran along that side of the house,,and to the garage which was detached from the house...at the back of the property.
We were just talking.  Then we heard the horse walk down the driveway , from our patio slab across the grass, no sound, then back on the pavement, to the fence that stopped the way out to the front...This was a horse area so no one was
surprised, horses getting into people backyard was not that unusual.  So one of her friends and I went out to see whos horse it might be, and tell them to come and claim it....well guess what, no horse.  the back gate was closed, and no horse could have gotten in...our horse was in his corral and there was just nothing there....We all heard it.  Me first. and it was not there...We later found out a horse down the street had died that night...this is a true story...And that horse was heard several times after that too. We were just the first to hear it....
      I will tell the other one about the doves later on in the thread....

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 02:43:40 am »
Oh yes being touched in beyond creepy!

Have you experienced the "hand clasp" as I like to call it, or just a tap, Dottie? I've experienced a full hand clasp; that is, I've felt the weight of an unseen hand on my shoulder, or on the back of my neck. Whoo!!!  :o

And now I must go to bed.

Pleasant nightmares, everyone!!  ;) :laugh: :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 02:44:56 am »

Well I have never seen a ghost.  But I have heard one....and I have seen something odd just after my brothers
suicide.  \

The first was with five of my daughters friends.  We had a slumber party for them...Now you might say, they had been sitting around telling ghost stories and worked themselves into a mind screw.  Then the answer to that is, it was still early, we were all sitting around the breakfast bar eating...pizza, and chips, and pop....so we were stone sober.
       Our driveway ran along that side of the house,,and to the garage which was detached from the house...at the back of the property.
We were just talking.  Then we heard the horse walk down the driveway , from our patio slab across the grass, no sound, then back on the pavement, to the fence that stopped the way out to the front...This was a horse area so no one was
surprised, horses getting into people backyard was not that unusual.  So one of her friends and I went out to see whos horse it might be, and tell them to come and claim it....well guess what, no horse.  the back gate was closed, and no horse could have gotten in...our horse was in his corral and there was just nothing there....We all heard it.  Me first. and it was not there...We later found out a horse down the street had died that night...this is a true story...And that horse was heard several times after that too. We were just the first to hear it....
      I will tell the other one about the doves later on in the thread....

That horse deal gave me a chill up my spine when I read it, Janice!  :o

Spooky!!

I can't wait to read about the doves!  :D

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 02:58:20 am »
         This happened the day before my brothers graveside service, after his suicide.

My husband and I were in the back yard.  I was in the patio, and he was out watering the trees.  We were getting
the house and yard ready for the guests that were coming in for the funeral....
         Our patio was the old kind, where they attach a framework to the garage, put up four X fours, and cover it with a top of whatever kind..Ours made of corrugated steel...I was sweeping up the clippings and such after he had finished mowing the yard...The roof of the patio was barely more than a foot and a half over my head..  When all of a sudden
two white doves flew into the yard, at a pretty fast clip, and flew over my head, and under the patio cover, in one end, and out the other, they did this two times...Then they flew over and sat together on the top of the corner, of the patio.  They sat there for I would say three minutes.  Then they flew back in under the patio and flew off towards the direction they had originally come from....I never had seen these birds before that or after that either...And they were big compared to most doves I had seen before, and solid white.....
         My grandmother said more or less the same thing had happen to her right after her daughter, what would have been my aunt...died in child birth...I remembered her telling me that story, when I was a small child...She too was half
cherokee indian David, and as a child I kind of dismissed it. Thinking that she was probably just putting too much import on a mere coincidence......I
always thought after that my brother had come or had sent word to tell me he was ok....

This doesnt really qualify as an ghost, but it was a very odd thing that happened, that I have no explanation for.
My husband just stood there and watched with his mouth open...he said he thougt at first they were attacking me, because they came so close.. But funny thing is i was never afraid of that happening..Stupid I guess....I just felt
like I was watching a wonder...

Beautiful mind

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 03:00:56 am »
Have you experienced the "hand clasp" as I like to call it, or just a tap, Dottie? I've experienced a full hand clasp; that is, I've felt the weight of an unseen hand on my shoulder, or on the back of my neck. Whoo!!!  :o

And now I must go to bed.

Pleasant nightmares, everyone!!  ;) :laugh: :laugh:

The first time it ever happened I felt something brush my hair but several years later in a supposedly haunted house I felt someone gently lay their hand on my arm.  It was a human hand and felt warm and substancial just as if you touched me, but I was looking right at my arm and there was nothing there and no one standing close by me at the time.   VERY CREEPY.  I was frightened that I could not scream, just gave a high pitched startled yelp and jump backward.  My experience, and all its accompanying details,  is recorded in the log book of sightings and phenomenon for that house.

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 03:05:32 am »
         This happened the day before my brothers graveside service, after his suicide.

My husband and I were in the back yard.  I was in the patio, and he was out watering the trees.  We were getting
the house and yard ready for the guests that were coming in for the funeral....
         Our patio was the old kind, where they attach a framework to the garage, put up four X fours, and cover it with a top of whatever kind..Ours made of corrugated steel...I was sweeping up the clippings and such after he had finished mowing the yard...The roof of the patio was barely more than a foot and a half over my head..  When all of a sudden
two white doves flew into the yard, at a pretty fast clip, and flew over my head, and under the patio cover, in one end, and out the other, they did this two times...Then they flew over and sat together on the top of the corner.  They sat
there for I would say three minutes.  The they flew back in under the pation and flew off towards the direction they had originally come from....I never had seen these birds before that or after that either...And they were big compared to most doves I had seen before, and solid white.....
         My grandmother said more or less the same thing had happen to her right after her daughter, what would have been my aunt...died in child birth...I remembered her telling me that story, when I was a small child...She too was half
cherokee indian David, and as a child I kind of dismissed it. Thiking that she was probably just putting too much import on a mere coincidence......I
always after that thought my brother had come or had sent word to tell me he was ok....

This doesnt really qualify as an ghost, but it was a very odd thing that happened, that I have no explanation for.
My husband just stood there and watched with his mouth open...he said he thougt at first they were attacking me, because they came so close.. But funny thing is i was never afraid of that happening..Stupid I guess....I just felt
like I was watching a wonder...

What a sad and wonderdul story Janice.  I have heard all my life about birds carrying the spirit of the deceased.  My Grandmother always told us stories like that.  When he father died a large black crow sat on her back fence for 2 days , she was convinced it was her Father letting her know he was OK.  When my own Mother passed, I had a hummingbird that came to my window every day for a week after.  Who knows if it was really my Mom but it gave me comfort to think so.

Dagi

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 02:37:49 pm »
A friend of mine, a very grounded, sensible woman once got up in the night because someone in the apartment underneath her played the drums. Since she knew the apartment was supposed to be empty because the people were on holiday, she took the keys and went downstairs - and of course the apartment was "empty" (it is a house with only these two apartments.)
When she was upstairs again the noise started anew. She went downstairs, and yelled "this is not funny! Stop it!" She felt something touch her arm, and hurried back upstairs, frightened to death. But at least they stopped playing the drums.

Another friend of mine saw her (dead) grandfather regularly, he came to her bedroom, until she married ( a good husband) and he told her he won´t come back to look after her any more.

These are just two stories of many I´ve heard from three reliable, and as I said grounded, sensible persons.

I definitely believe in ghosts. But I don´t think they are always friendly. They can be confused, or feel homeless, and some can be openly hostile.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 08:59:59 pm »

Quote from: ifyoucantfixit on Yesterday at 06:31:59 PM
      Do you believe?

If you've ever seen The X-Files then you know that Fox Moulder had a poster behind his desk at the FBI with a caption that read I want to believe.  That's pretty much my attitude.   I want to believe that we go on in some way. 

Gary

Well Gary, I dont know what I believe....But I would like to believe we go somewhere..But i wouldnt be very happy to just stay here and repeat like the guy in groundhog day, the same thing over and over and over.  That i think would be hell.....

Beautiful mind