Author Topic: Happy Memorial Day!  (Read 15794 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Happy Memorial Day!
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2023, 10:02:03 am »
Is anyone celebrating or observing Memorial Day? It seems to be shaping up for me as a somber day. I feel the loss of several people famous to many or only to me and my circle. I'm actually on my way to the mountains for a memorial service today. A young man in my  horticultural society drowned in a white water rafting accident. The rivers are very full and violent and he shouldn't have been doing that. Also, I've been dreaming about my parents and other ancestors.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2023, 10:45:50 am »
My red poppies are actually blooming now! How considerate of them!

Two-year-old post, but this morning I was reminded of:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row.

--John McCrae, 1915.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Flanders_Fields

(The Wikipedia article shows a handwritten copy with the first line ending in "grow," which kind of makes more sense to me. There is discussion of this in the section on the poem's publication.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2023, 10:47:25 am »
Is anyone celebrating or observing Memorial Day? It seems to be shaping up for me as a somber day. I feel the loss of several people famous to many or only to me and my circle. I'm actually on my way to the mountains for a memorial service today. A young man in my  horticultural society drowned in a white water rafting accident. The rivers are very full and violent and he shouldn't have been doing that. Also, I've been dreaming about my parents and other ancestors.

How horrible!  :(

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2023, 11:25:09 am »

I'm sorry to hear that, FRiend.  :-\

I'll spend Memorial Day itself at a park on a lake with my friends I've had since high school. It's a tradition -- we gather there every Memorial Day and Labor Day. This year will be even more festive; we're organizing a big weekend in August to celebrate our 50 years of friendship. Not counting spouses and a few who joined us in the following few years, we all became friends in the summer of 1973.

We're planning pretty elaborate festivities: a Friday night party just for our core group and a larger Saturday night party that will include other people we know. Also a boat ride and a tour of the little town we grew up in (it's a Minneapolis suburb, but it's also a cute small town with a big park and main street buildings from the 19th century).

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2023, 03:18:44 pm »
I'll be seeing family on Sunday afternoon, the over to friends for a firepit evening, and a BBQ on Monday.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2023, 08:48:00 pm »
We had our "Memorial Day Picnic" for supper last night (Saturday): Hot dogs, baked beans, macaroni salad.