Author Topic: Happy Mother's Day!  (Read 10098 times)

TJ

Re: Happy Mother's Day!
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 09:40:47 pm »
Doty?  That was the last name of my moms first husband....my father actually....

My surname came over on the Mayflower in 1620. Edward Doty (spelled different ways, sometimes "Dotey") was not a Pilgrim. He had ran away from home or just "escaped" from his parents and another passenger paid for his passage to get to the New World.

My Dad's father, Lewis Doty, was born in Peoria, Illinois.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 10:10:56 pm »
My surname came over on the Mayflower in 1620. Edward Doty (spelled different ways, sometimes "Dotey") was not a Pilgrim. He had ran away from home or just "escaped" from his parents and another passenger paid for his passage to get to the New World.

My Dad's father, Lewis Doty, was born in Peoria, Illinois.

You are gonna think this is the strangest thing but my fathers name was Marcus Allen Doty (but that was his adopted name).....all I know was he was born Italy and was adopted....I haven't seen him in almost 12 years....

Hmmm....small world...

TJ

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 01:09:06 am »
Well, one never knows when one will come across with one who knows one's relatives or has a shared surname.

My older brother's middle son, John Mark Doty, was in the US Air Force as an enlisted man and he was in Desert Storm.

While he was over there, an Officer in the US Army saw his name tag on his uniform and told him, "I have an aunt, my father's sister, whose married name is 'Doty.' And she lives in Oklahoma."

John said, "My grandmother, Loretta Doty, lives in Oklahoma, too."

The guy said, "That's my aunt's name, too."

Talk about a small world. John and the guy, Robert Willhoite, had never seen each other before and they were cousins.

Oh, in regard to it being Mother's Day here and relatives finding each other. When I lived in N. Hollywood, I met Jimmy McCoy, who was born and raised in Texas. He told me that his mother was raised in the same county as my own mother. While we thought we might also be related by blood, we had relatives who had gotten married. We did figure out that one of his uncles had married one of my mom's Cherokee aunts (there was no blood connection with the couple at all). 

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 07:58:35 am »
Likewise, to all the moms and mothers and mums and Mrs. Twists here - this day's for you!  Without you we wouldn't be here on so many levels. 

Juan

PS- Sheyne, are you trying to have another baby?  Cuz that new pic is a STUNNER!

Golly, thanks Juan! *sheyne blushes happily*  That's actually just me mucking around with my new webcam, gettin some photos for Mandy..  ;D
Chut up!

TJ

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 07:22:05 pm »
Oh, a number of Christian Churches have changed "Mother's Day" to "Women's Day." I think that is a great idea because some women while having given birth to children don't have any living children or they are not able to be mothers for various reasons. Many of the childless mothers have been mentors, mothers and/or grandmothers by family of choice to boys and girls in their churches.

And the same churches have changed "Father's Day" to "Men's day for the same basic reasons.

When I was living in Missouri, I was visiting an Assemby of God Father's Day weekend and I was staying with the man who was in my chain of command, so so speak in the AG boys camping program. I was a leader in another church in the same sectional area of the Northern Missouri District of the AG. The pastor of the church was the Sectional Presbyter. The man with whom I was staying had daughters and the other man who worked with that's church's boys program was also a father, he did have a son. The pastor and the other men knew all of the boys in my church group and even their backgrounds.

During the morning worship service, honor was given to the local fathers and told them to stand up front and face the congregation. Because they had planned to do something special then, they wanted to show them their appreciation.

But just before they did that, the pastor said, "Joe, you might as well come up here, too. You sometimes fill in as a father for boys in your church."

In that service, although I was just a guest, I was actually treated as an equal with the biological and legal fathers in attendance.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 10:49:12 am »
Time for a new crop of people to talk about Mother's Day! This year I'd like to invite all the sons and daughters of the world to give your mother a precious gift...share with her your self and your dreams and desires. Bring back to her a taste of those days when it was only you and she and no other person existed in the world!

And if your mom wants to tell you about the Pentacost or any other thing, just listen and appreciate what she has to say. You don't have to become a born-again someone just for her (for most mothers, born once is enufff), but just listen and remember, because mothers don't hang around forever!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 12:21:22 am »
Wow! Seeing this thread gave me a start! Hmmm, happy times...

Heathen

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 05:43:54 am »
Wow, that was one weird blast from the past.  Whew.  Hunh.  Ugh.  Wow.  Phew.  sigh... 

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2023, 10:59:40 am »

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers, grandmothers, step-mothers, adoptive/foster mothers, mothers-to-be, "aunties", cousins, and mother figures.

To all those mothers who have experienced the ultimate pain and lost a child, I'm sending you good vibes, peace and love today.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2023, 02:33:53 pm »
Thank you Chuck. It's not mother's day here today, but thanks anyway :)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre