Author Topic: Brokeback showing at the Red Vic in San Francisco last night!  (Read 2311 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
A great time was had by alll--on Haight street in San Francisco last night. There were, I think, 12 of us there. I CAN'T name everyone; maybe it would be better not to name ANYONE, so I don't leasve anyone out. But: CityGirl and mellenande, SID40Lk--and two or three others from Dave Cuiollen, Eric (sfericsxf) , Pete Tannen, Julie, Kirkmusic, Michael (Flannigan?). As complete strangers to me poured into the tiny space, everyone recognized my shirt, and knew they were among friends.

I TALK TO MUCH! After sitting in the Zam Zam bar for three hours--I can't believe I sat in a bar for 3 hours!--going over my story with a fine tooth pen, Pete Tannen showed up on crutches with his fractured ankle, and i think I talked for 5 minutes straight...poor Pete. In the tiny bar, we broke up into splinter groups and talked, all of us, our heads off.   From DVDs to "you know I ain't queer," to where Jack leaves Ennis's hand in the first tent scene, when Ennis peels Jack's hand off his right lapel  and deposits it on Jack's thigh.

The Red Vic is a very small (and blessedly cheap) theater and we occupied two rows of it. At first, it appeared the sound was going to be terrible, but as soon as the previews cleared up (and "Riverroad"--we were getting pretty nervous by then). Most of us were mousy quiet, except for a few laughs, through the showing (the sound turnerd out especially good), but later when I asked Kirkmusic why he hadn't been expertly humming along with the music, he told me he'd beern chatting with CityGirll in the row befhind him.. Coulda fooled me.

Afetrwards. all but one of us adjouirned to "Escape from New York Pizza" where (Bob assures me), I had the best pesto pizza in town. Sid drove me home--a true blessing. The best story of the evening was from Michael, one of the older members of the crowd, (though youinger than me by probably almost 20 years), who said he'd been parking his car in a public lot one day, and some kids came up to him, obviously with no intention of doing bodiy harm, and called him "faggot," to which his reaction was "Oh! I've still got it!'

The "so what else is new' department. In the first tent scene, after Jack and Ennis have agreed to hold heads, Jack tries to kiss him--which is why he's always looking down--he's looking at Ennis's mouth--, and Ennis's head is  FURTHER down.  No WAY is that going to happen, and Jack doesn't press the issue--not that he has much time. Eric=39th time; me=26th time mellenande=16th time. And so on; many have been sitting in front of their DVDs constantly since they came out. My Toshgiba is behind me, so I can liosten to it when I'm doing other things, like working.

I cannot help you with the DVD problem, if you have one. Not only do none of mine play decently on my big Sony with Zenith DVD player, but they also play unspeakably dark on my friend Britt's top-of-the line equipment. But the $450 I spent getting my Toshiba lapstop fixed was worth every cent (I can also watch other movies on it--if I get around to it)...the same DVDs play perfectly on it. So I have no IDEA what to suggesrt if you still have a problem. The Toshiba has Windows "XP" technology.

We're all so excited about the Castro on June 12th, and I got my ticket as soon as I got home (they sure gave me a hassle about my..typos...) and then worked on my story until...almost 5, when I realized i was tired, having been up since 6, and given a first ":From ther Fire tour (Korean pottery). I've always wanted to be in a hughe crowd seeing the movie; gosh, merybe I'll get my chance...and I promise to SHUT UP,--not thast anyone will be able to hear me...CLICK TO ENLARGE...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Brokeback showing at the Red Vic in San Francisco last night!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 02:51:44 am »
Thanks Julie.  Sounds like San Francisco is alive, with the sound of Brokies, ah-ah-ah-aaahhhh...

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 01:00:06 pm »
What Julie said.  ;D

« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 09:22:54 pm by sfericsf »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 03:44:11 pm »
Thanks for the instant replay, Julie and all, sounds like a lot of fun!
"chewing gum and duct tape"