Author Topic: Cringe Worthy - Movies, TV Shows or Just Scenes That Made You Squirm!  (Read 8127 times)

injest

Ok, we have plenty of 'favorites' and 'the best of'; what about the awful? The ones you just sit there appalled at?

The one that has been stuck in my mind the past couple of days is the opening of the Academy Awards when BBM was nominated...they used the lyrics to "DONTCHA" by the Pussycat Dolls...

It was embarrassingly bad. I wish I could erase the memory from my head! Talk about lame... ::) ::)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Cringe Worthy - Movies, TV Shows or Just Scenes That Made You Squirm!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 12:19:41 am »
The movie Forty days and Forty nights made me wince.  I was embarrassed for everyone in it.  I'm sure they were, too.

The Baz Luhrman movie Romeo + Juliet also made me cringe.  Claire Danes and Leo DiCaprio proved beyond all doubt that Shakespearean actors are a rare talent and a breed onto themselves.  Sadly neither lead actor was among them.

Even though I loved the movie, some of the lines in The Chronicles of Riddick were probably hard to say with a straight face.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 12:47:14 am »
anything Leo DeCaprio is in is cringe worthy for me. I liked him in Titanic...but come on..that did not mean he is a headliner lead actor...it was ONE good role....PERIOD

I'll disagree with you on this one, Jess, ;) and cite What's Eating Gilbert Grape, The Aviator, Catch Me if You Can, The Departed, and Blood Diamond for rebuttal evidence.  :D  Actually, I'm pretty sure Titanic is at the bottom of my list of DiCaprio roles, but to each his or her own!  :D

But...what makes me cringe includes almost all of reality TV and all made for TV romances, which includes most shows broadcast on Lifetime.  I cannot sit through blood and gore without good reason (Hellraiser) nor angst for the sake of angst - i.e. 'manipulative drama' (Message in a Bottle).

I have no patience anymore for sitcoms with the canned laughtrack...even the classics which I think were socially revolutionary - All In the Family, The Jeffersons, Maude, Mary Tyler Moore, Good Times - they're historically important but no longer relevant nor funny, IMO.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 02:01:06 am »
I'll disagree with you on this one, Jess, ;) and cite What's Eating Gilbert Grape, The Aviator, Catch Me if You Can, The Departed, and Blood Diamond for rebuttal evidence.  :D  Actually, I'm pretty sure Titanic is at the bottom of my list of DiCaprio roles, but to each his or her own!  :D

But...what makes me cringe includes almost all of reality TV and all made for TV romances, which includes most shows broadcast on Lifetime.  I cannot sit through blood and gore without good reason (Hellraiser) nor angst for the sake of angst - i.e. 'manipulative drama' (Message in a Bottle).

I have no patience anymore for sitcoms with the canned laughtrack...even the classics which I think were socially revolutionary - All In the Family, The Jeffersons, Maude, Mary Tyler Moore, Good Times - they're historically important but no longer relevant nor funny, IMO.

Yep, to each his own.  I thought DiCaprio's performance in Catch me if you can was very amateurish, DiCaprio carefully saying each line like he's still in rehearsal.  The movie was a snoozefest.

We used to watch All in the Family reruns in college on some Classic movie channel.  I remember one favorite Archie Bunker line - which was laughed at back when, but turned out to be prophetic.  The family is talking about people hijacking airplanes and what can be done about it.

Archie Bunker suggests that all the passengers be armed, that will solve the problem -

Cue laugh-track.

Cut to 2006 when it is suggested that airline passengers be allowed to carry concealed weapons - in case of hijackers.

:o :o :o

No one is laughing now.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 02:14:51 am »

And The Basketball Diaries. It was an excellent movie about the perils of drug abuse. Leo did a brilliant job in that movie.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 11:05:24 pm »
The only movie I ever walked out of was "Trainspotting," which was about drug addicts in Scotland.  I have memories of filthy apartments, someone diving down a dirty toilet in an incredibly loathesome public bathroom, a dead baby.  Couldn't take it!  :P

Speaking of reality shows, the most cringeworthy to me are the ones where women compete for the favors of a bachelor or a wealthy guy.  Oh the degradation!  Even beauty pageants, those meat markets disguised as scholarship competitions, have more class than these sad shows.  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 05:39:56 pm »
I caught a particularly horrible episode of "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" today, lol...

(This is probably the movie 'that shall not be named', but most all of Crash was cringe worthy for me, especially when I realized the plan was for Matt Dillon's character to rescue Thandie Newton's character.)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 05:50:38 pm »
Which "Fresh Prince" episode was it? Inquiring minds, ya know. I just want to know if I also saw it. I saw the one about Will having to take music class with little kids in order to graduate some time during the night -- was that it?   ::)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline BelAir

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 05:57:36 pm »
the whole family was at some ski resort...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline oilgun

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 10:02:41 pm »

The Baz Luhrman movie Romeo + Juliet also made me cringe.  Claire Danes and Leo DiCaprio proved beyond all doubt that Shakespearean actors are a rare talent and a breed onto themselves.  Sadly neither lead actor was among them.

I'm with Lynn on this one.  Leo is a fine actor, he was actually amazing in the Aviator, at times even looking like Hughes.  After seeing him in Blood Diamond, my friend, an avowed Leo-hater turned and said "I'll never call him DiCrapio again."  :D

As for Baz's Romeo + Juliet, I'm not sure what you were expecting, I mean it is Baz after all, but I thought it was an inspired adaptation and I really enjoyed its wild kinetic energy.  One cannot live on classical acting alone  ;)

And how can anyone NOT love Trainspotting!?  It's a very well made film and agreat adaptation of the novel.  In fact, except for The Chronicles of Riddick & 40 Days & 40 Nights, most of the movies mentioned have been critically acclaimed!

I don't mean to attack anyone, i'm just shocked is all.  Not at all what I was expecting when I clicked on this thread.  Maybe that's a good thing  :)

Anyhoo, I cringe whenever I see:
-anyone in a fat suit, including Travolta in Hairspray
-food being thrown at people, unless it's not for laughs.
-Robin Williams in a drama