Author Topic: Thanksgiving To-Do List  (Read 55474 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Thanksgiving To-Do List
« on: November 08, 2007, 02:13:45 am »
Here's a copy of an article from Good Housekeeping that claims to be the ultimate Thanksgiving to-do list:

http://lifestyle.msn.com/foodandentertaining/EntertainingandSpecialOccasions/articlegh.aspx?cp-documentid=5663939

Four Weeks to a Foolproof Feast
By Unknown

The ultimate Thanksgiving To-do List

Week 1 (starting October 29)

- Stock up on extra pumpkins, potted mums, and holiday decorations while the best selection is out for Halloween. (Yes, the fresh stuff will last a few more weeks.)
- Create your guest list; check to make sure everyone can make it — and if anyone's planning to bring a friend.
- Select the menu Keep in mind how much oven, stovetop, and microwave space you have available, and what each recipe entails. (If you're attempting a dish for the first time, try it out before T-day.)
- Write out or print your grocery list so you can keep it handy over the next few weeks for minor tweaks.
- Agree on dishes company can bring if they offer. (Then cross those off your shopping list.)
- Check your spices Toss any that are past their prime; add to your list.
- Look for sales and stock up on staples — paper goods, candies, beverages, inexpensive toys to entertain kids, batteries for the camera.
- Assess your cooking equipment, china, cutlery, and serving dishes Is the vegetable peeler dull? Are the pot holders frayed? Plan to buy or borrow what you'll need.
- Survey your surfaces Any really visible stains on the carpet or dining room chairs? Either schedule time to clean them soon or call in a pro. Consult our handy stain guide on goodhousekeeping.com/stains.

Week 2
- Inspect the guest room — by sleeping there That's the easiest way to find out what's missing (a reading lamp? pillows?). Also, straighten up in there now to avoid a mad scramble later. If overnighters will sleep on a sofa bed, vacuum the mattress and underneath the cushions.
- Place all orders for catered trays or pies Figure out whether you should go with a fresh turkey (which you'll need to order now) or a frozen one.
- Choose your outfit It should look good, but be comfortable enough for cooking and entertaining. Drop the clothes off at the dry cleaner or mend them if necessary. Nothing to wear? Hit the mall. (If you don't have an apron, pick up one of those, too — Turkey Day can get messy.)
- Enlist the spouse or kids to wash platters and polish silver That way, they'll be free to run errands or take out the trash the night before or morning of the big day. Once silver is clean, wrap it in tissue and then place in airtight plastic bags to keep it tarnish-free.
- Give your plants some TLC To avoid a sad, droopy, or dead zone at the end of the month, give greenery water and a little plant food now. Soon flowers should be bold and foliage vibrant.
- Clean the house thoroughly so you can focus on other projects for the next couple of weeks. Put the oven through a self-cleaning cycle, and don't forget to do a cobweb check by flicking on the lights or chandelier in the dining room.
- Set up appointments for a haircut this week and a manicure next week, so the salons won't be all booked up when you're ready to look your best.

Week 3
- Pull out the table linens you plan to use and the hand towels for the bathroom. Are they faded? Developing mysterious spots? Wash accordingly (GHRI likes Restoration brand detergent for vintage linens). If they're too far gone (or the thought of scrubbing a tablecloth makes you want to scream), snap up some stain-resistant ones and inexpensive hand towels while you're running errands this week.
- Sharpen knives—and not just the turkey carver. All your kitchen work will go more smoothly.
- Stock up on wine (or order it online, unless that's a no-no in your state). Choose a red and a white, and buy in multiples.
- Clean out the fridge It's pricey real estate this month; you'll need every square inch.
- Decide what music to play Need some recommendations? View our iPod playlists on goodhousekeeping.com/thanks.
- Make your cranberry sauce and refrigerate it; prepare piecrusts and freeze until next week.
- Pick up some plastic containers; they'll hold prepared items before the meal
and leftovers afterward — and make good doggie bags for guests. Also get extra foil and plastic wrap, kitchen twine, trash bags, paper towels, toilet paper (if you haven't already found this stuff on sale). Consider buying nonperishable grocery items now, too, to shorten the inevitable marathon shopping trip next week.
- Charge up your hand vac (or just locate your broom and dustpan)— so you're ready to cope with those unavoidable spills.
- Practice clutter control Let it creep up now and you'll drown in it next week.

Week 4
- Iron linens that need it and lay them out, if possible, so they don't re-wrinkle.
- Grocery-shop on Monday or Tuesday — please, please not on Wednesday.
- Treat yourself to a bouquet of super­market flowers to enjoy as you labor.
- Make or buy ice
- Set out your serving dishes and utensils and define their use with Post-it notes (e.g., "Brussels sprouts here").
- Move your frozen bird to the fridge to thaw (check label for guidelines).
- Start cooking the day before — either make dishes completely and store for reheating (think pies, casseroles), or partially prep foods (like vegetables) that need to be finished the day of.
- Thaw frozen make-aheads, like that piecrust you fixed last week.
- Set the table (or better yet, ask family to do it) the night before.
- Chill white wine
- Lay out your outfit for the next day

Day of
- Fill a spray bottle with cold water for zapping stains when they happen.
- Stuff the turkey; get it roasting; make the potatoes, then veggies.
- Whip the cream for dessert; chill.
- Transfer your turkey to a platter
- Make the gravy with drippings; reheat potatoes in the microwave.
- Serve, sit down, and dig in.
- Remember to warm the pies
- Vow to be a guest next year!
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: Thanksgiving To-Do List
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 05:43:05 am »
Ha ha ha  :laugh:

Either I'm the world's worst host and housewife, or I'm supermon  ;D. I do all preperations for a big celebration in two days (although I have the advantage I never need to cook a Turkey).

Me thinks the author goes way over the top with this list  ::). Sleep in the guest room? Make all surfaces stainless (even if you do it, in case you have kids they will nullify this effort during the remaining three weeks)? Spiff up the plants? Plants? Are perfect plants necessary for a pleasurable family holiday? Phew, good thing my relatives don't know this  ;).

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 11:58:38 am »
Ha ha ha  :laugh:

Either I'm the world's worst host and housewife, or I'm supermon  ;D. I do all preperations for a big celebration in two days (although I have the advantage I never need to cook a Turkey).

Me thinks the author goes way over the top with this list  ::). Sleep in the guest room? Make all surfaces stainless (even if you do it, in case you have kids they will nullify this effort during the remaining three weeks)? Spiff up the plants? Plants? Are perfect plants necessary for a pleasurable family holiday? Phew, good thing my relatives don't know this  ;).

I agree, Chrissi!  This list is a bit over the top.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 03:27:43 pm by Meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 01:00:04 pm »
Of course "perfect plants" are necessary. You want a sit and look at some dried-up, dead ol' philodendron while you're tryin' a carve a turkey with a electric carving knife?  ;)  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 02:40:10 pm »
I blame Martha Stewart for all this.  ;)  She's the one that started all this over the top stuff in order for it to be "a good thing."   Now they've got  a bunch of copycats.  I got tired reading this list.

I'd hate to see what GOOD HOUSEKEEPING's Ultimate Christmas preparation list looks like.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 02:51:06 pm »
I got tired reading this list.

I got tired just reading the week of October 29!

So I didn't get through the whole thing. Did she include:

-- Start planning accusations to fling at ex-husband during after-dinner-dishwashing confrontation.
-- Buy peaches and milk for son's appetizer course.
-- Decide who you'll side with in husband-father masculinity showdown.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 03:03:37 pm »
I got tired just reading the week of October 29!

So I didn't get through the whole thing. Did she include:

-- Start planning accusations to fling at ex-husband during after-dinner-dishwashing confrontation.
-- Buy peaches and milk for son's appetizer course.
-- Decide who you'll side with in husband-father masculinity showdown.

:laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 03:15:38 pm »
Should I dig out MaineWriter's recipe for Lureen's Cheesey Potato Soup? I'm sure I've got it around here somewhere.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 03:26:52 pm »

I didn't think this list would generate such entertaining replies (pun intended).  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 03:36:42 pm »

I didn't think this list would generate such entertaining replies (pun intended).  ;D

You should have known, Meryl - we're Brokies!  ;D. We have better things to do with our time than cleaning and preparing. We're on BetterMost  :D.

'nother idea what to do with the list: read it out loud at the very day itself, in front of all your relaives. Then confess which points you skipped. Or let them guess what you skipped (ouch, the latter could be hurtful. Do only with folks close to your heart or drunk  :laugh:).