Author Topic: Thanksgiving To-Do List  (Read 55444 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Thanksgiving To-Do List
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 03:47:59 pm »
You should have known, Meryl - we're Brokies!  ;D. We have better things to do with our time than cleaning and preparing.

Or working. ...

We're on BetterMost  :D.

'nother idea what to do with the list: read it out loud at the very day itself, in front of all your relaives. Then confess which points you skipped. Or let them guess what you skipped (ouch, the latter could be hurtful. Do only with folks close to your heart or drunk  :laugh:).

Better make that very drunk. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 04:35:35 pm »
Should I dig out MaineWriter's recipe for Lureen's Cheesey Potato Soup? I'm sure I've got it around here somewhere.  ;D

Yeah, you love that recipe, Jeff!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 04:39:21 pm »
:laugh:

I didn't think this list would generate such entertaining replies (pun intended).  ;D

What I cannot believe...and I mean this seriously...is that anyone who would have a list like that would serve a FROZEN turkey. This is the way I would have written it (mind you, not that I am doing this)....

Back in October, or maybe even June...

Put in your reservation for a fresh-killed, range fed, organic fresh turkey. Plan on a maximum turkey size of 12 lbs. for best flavor, with an estimate of 1 lb per guest at serving time. If you will have more than 12 guests, it is better to roast two turkeys, rather than one very large turkey which will inevitably dry out and be tasteless.

L

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 04:43:41 pm »
What I cannot believe...and I mean this seriously...is that anyone who would have a list like that would serve a FROZEN turkey. This is the way I would have written it (mind you, not that I am doing this)....

Back in October, or maybe even June...

Put in your reservation for a fresh-killed, range fed, organic fresh turkey. Plan on a maximum turkey size of 12 lbs. for best flavor, with an estimate of 1 lb per guest at serving time. If you will have more than 12 guests, it is better to roast two turkeys, rather than one very large turkey which will inevitably dry out and be tasteless.

L

Which reminds me (if slightly OT), the place where we had a staff lunch last week no longer describes its chicken as "free-range." It's now "pastured."  :laugh:

Like cattle. Or sheep.

Imagine Ennis and Jack herding ... chickens. ...  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 05:09:32 pm »
Which reminds me (if slightly OT), the place where we had a staff lunch last week no longer describes its chicken as "free-range." It's now "pastured."  :laugh:

Like cattle. Or sheep.

Imagine Ennis and Jack herding ... chickens. ...  :laugh:

:laugh:

I just try to picture this... thousands of chickens on Brokeback Mountain ... Jack carrying two or three over the water .... the boys collecting and storing eggs all summer ... what a delightfull smell the eggs would have in August ... bah, I think I better stop now  :-X

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 05:20:00 pm »
(Morning after the hail storm)

Ennis: What a we do now, hunh?

Jack: Get in there an' untangle them Chilean chickens out a ours, I guess.

;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 05:30:51 pm »
Another idea what to do with the list: read it out loud at the very day itself, in front of all your relaives. Then confess which points you skipped. Or let them guess what you skipped (ouch, the latter could be hurtful. Do only with folks close to your heart or drunk  :laugh:).

In my case, we'd all be sitting in a restaurant, and the answers would be easy.  :laugh:

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 05:40:14 pm »
In my case, we'd all be sitting in a restaurant, and the answers would be easy.  :laugh:

You should write an alternative Thanksgiving preperations list for the same magazine. It'd be a short one:

Three weeks prior:
- Make a reservation at a restaurant of your choice

Fixed!  ;D

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 05:55:40 pm »

I am starting to think of that as a good alternative too, Chrissi.

But the pastured turkey still sounds appetizing.

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 07:36:04 pm »
        But the pastured turkey still sounds appetizing.

Hmm. Just think of the screenplay with "chickens" substituted for "sheep."

Joe Aguirre: "Twist, you boys wasn't gettin' paid to let the dogs babysit the chickens while you stemmed the rose."

(The sun sets in an orange sky. Jack plays his harmonica.)

Ennis (grinning): "You'll run them chickens off again if you don't quiet down."

;D