Author Topic: Thanksgiving To-Do List  (Read 55451 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Thanksgiving To-Do List
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2007, 10:55:25 am »
Phew! Good to hear. I was just kidding of course...
  ;D

I didn't know they are still there. Is that a normal thing in Maine to have turkeys 'in the wild'? Or have they escaped from someone's garden?

No, these are definitely wild turkeys. Maine does have a population of wild turkeys which has been on the rebound lately, which is why they are showing up more in more populated areas, ie, the suburbs. Although my backyard is a pretty nice turkey habitat, all things considered!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2007, 10:55:42 am »
Of course not! They're family!  :)

Yes, they are!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2007, 11:01:48 am »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2007, 03:14:33 pm »
Of course "perfect plants" are necessary. You want a sit and look at some dried-up, dead ol' philodendron while you're tryin' a carve a turkey with a electric carving knife?  ;)  ;D

Exactly Jeff!!! Who in the world would want to subject themselves to viewing a distressed plant? Oh yeah, and do you wash the linens in the guest room after you sleep there to see if everything is ok?
 :) :D :laugh:

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2007, 03:16:45 pm »
I got tired just reading the week of October 29!

So I didn't get through the whole thing. Did she include:

-- Start planning accusations to fling at ex-husband during after-dinner-dishwashing confrontation.
-- Buy peaches and milk for son's appetizer course.
-- Decide who you'll side with in husband-father masculinity showdown.

I was getting ready to say why do they not have any plans about what to do when the family arguments begin  :) Maybe that is why you need to order multiple bottles of wine - red and white  ;D

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2007, 03:21:27 pm »
No, just a quarter cup goes in the pie. I use the rest to prepare myself for dinner at my in-laws'.  :laugh:

Now that would work better than the wine  ;)

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2007, 03:28:07 pm »
This thread is one of the funniest things I have read in awhile. Leave it to Brokies to make all of this fun. You all are actually getting me in some kind of holiday spirit. And I love the chicken idea for Ennis and Jack  ;D

Speaking of wild turkeys, I have flocks of them in the yard. I live on the side of a mountain anyway, but I think since they started developing the top of the mountain the turkeys have moved downwards to get away. These turkeys are huge although they are very small when they are babies. They are about the size of a "baby chicken"

And hey you know that the hail storm would not be good for the eggs  ;) Ennis and Jack would have a major mess all the way around.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2009, 11:19:51 pm »
BUMP!  It's never too late.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2009, 11:36:29 pm »
:laugh:

I just try to picture this... thousands of chickens on Brokeback Mountain ... Jack carrying two or three over the water .... the boys collecting and storing eggs all summer ... what a delightfull smell the eggs would have in August ... bah, I think I better stop now  :-X

My daughter was just walking our two chickens this morning. They really enjoyed it, craning their necks, pecking, and scratching with their feet. The chickens are producing lovely delicious eggs regularly, so they do not need to fear the knife of Thanksgiving. I just put three of their eggs into a pecan pumpkin pie.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2009, 01:27:23 am »
My daughter was just walking our two chickens this morning. They really enjoyed it, craning their necks, pecking, and scratching with their feet. The chickens are producing lovely delicious eggs regularly, so they do not need to fear the knife of Thanksgiving. I just put three of their eggs into a pecan pumpkin pie.

Nothing like eggs that are

a) fresh

b) from hens that don't spend their entire short lives in airless dark cages the size of a piece of printer paper eating drugged food with their beaks burned off and wire cutting into their feet.

I recently read Jonathan Safran Foer's "Eating Animals." I haven't stopped eating animal products -- just stopped enjoying them. You're lucky you can eat an omelet with a clean conscience, FRiend.