Author Topic: Homophobic people  (Read 8128 times)

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
Homophobic people
« on: November 08, 2007, 08:14:56 am »
On the site where I moderate in chat, we also have very lively message boards. Someone has started up a thread about gay marriage, and one of the replys has left me speechless, and I don,t know how to respond to it.
It says, and I quote:
"gays are sick in the same way pedophiles are sick. They need to be treated not encouraged"

Can you beleive that?? I mean I realise not everyone agrees with gays but thats a terrible thing to say.!! I need some of your views before I reply. I need to calm down as well.  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Homophobic people
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 11:45:01 am »
On the site where I moderate in chat, we also have very lively message boards. Someone has started up a thread about gay marriage, and one of the replys has left me speechless, and I don,t know how to respond to it.
It says, and I quote:
"gays are sick in the same way pedophiles are sick. They need to be treated not encouraged"

Can you beleive that?? I mean I realise not everyone agrees with gays but thats a terrible thing to say.!! I need some of your views before I reply. I need to calm down as well.  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Souxi,

That is indeed a very horrible thing for someone to say.  If it were me, I would probably say something like 'I completely disagree with you; you obviously have been misinformed.'  And I would send them to the list of resources in Safe Haven (http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,7814.msg268239.html#msg268239) for them to educate themselves.  (Indirectly, of course - we wouldn't want to bring them here!  ::) ;)).

Seriously, you need to figure out their intent.  If they are a troll-type, then ignoring them is probably better than engaging in debate.  If they are serious, then reaching out with information in a loving way is the best approach.  A Google search will get you to plenty of other resources to help you too.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 12:29:27 pm »
Even if I am for democracy, I think and request that that message of hate, anti-gay, etc., be taken out, as it is anti-human!

I say that not only because I am a gay man and that it offends men like myself (and ladies) to read such anti-life words, but also because it HURTS!

When I go to YouTube, I note to YouTube to take those offensive words away, especially concerning the BM movie!

Awaiting your comments,

hugs!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 06:09:19 pm »
geesh...  :-\  no real answers here im afraid, im sure others have great answers...
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 06:50:28 pm »
I've seen and heard venemous responses like this too, both on the Internet and in person. It's very hurtful when people say things like this. :'(

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 07:03:52 pm »
Hi all!

I am happy that this subject is talked about! This way, we can prepare ourselves against being hurt, maybe?

How?

Hugs!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 10:19:16 pm »

iI really dont see how anyone in this day and age, can possibly be sincere, in such a statement.
There is plenty of access, to inform yourself if you really want to know the truth.  I think they just
want tocause trouble.  However you could do as Lynne says, and refer them to other sites that give
plenty of hard core proof that he / or she is an idiot, or a bigot or both..
             Other than that.  I would just ask them to not come there where people will obviously be
hurt or angered.  Say you wish to have a calm and intelligent discourse, and if they are unable to do
that.. We will ask you to leave.        JMO

Beautiful mind

pnwDUDE

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 10:51:39 pm »
my reply to this is:

"whatever"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 10:56:45 pm »
Say you wish to have a calm and intelligent discourse, and if they are unable to do
that.. We will ask you to leave.

I think that sounds like the best idea. Don't give it the dignity of an argument. Treat it the way you would treat a racist comment -- unacceptable, and grounds for being required to leave.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 11:01:56 pm »
One must defends oneself when death can be in front of you because you are a gay man!

There are many, too many countries, where gay men are to-be-unseen, unfortunately, and not only in islamic countries: even in countries in Europe where the president is anti-gay and says so like gays are all crasy persons as they say or mental needing to be jailed or killed for what they are!!  Unfortunately, so it is even in Russia?

There is a long way to fight against such homophobic persons!! How?

Hugs!

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 05:49:05 am »
Well I have replied to this persons post and also them a question, I said:

"so if you hear that a gay man or woman has been beaten, and either suffered severe injuries or maybe even died, would you say that they deserved it simply because they are gay"?

I,ll let you know what they say.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 05:51:47 am »
Well I have replied to this persons post and also them a question, I said:

"so if you hear that a gay man or woman has been beaten, and either suffered severe injuries or maybe even died, would you say that they deserved it simply because they are gay"?

I,ll let you know what they say.

Please do Souxi!! Because I think we're all curious about it!

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 08:53:35 am »
We used to get people like that over at IMDb all the time, which is why I left!  I'm not sure whether the person really believes what he/she has written or that he/she is simply a troll who likes to stir things up for the hell of it.  Regardless of this, what he's written is foul and disgusting and highly offensive. If I were you, I'd use my Moderator powers to delete the post and ask him to keep his ignorant homophobic comments to himself, or politely ask him to leave.

Susie

Ditto.  You are a moderator, the board must have rules about hateful, offensive or inflammatory statements and the comment - whether by troll or idiot - must be treated as unacceptable behavior on your board.  Do not engage in discussion.  It is unacceptable, period.  Delete it and send a warning to the person who made it.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 10:51:59 am »
Waiting?

I was beaten by 4 at the same time and I know that they left me for dead, because I am a gay man! I did not wait to get that again!

One must fight when one can... against such homophobic persons since they are criminals, not accepting humanity! Why wait to get murdered?

Hugs!

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 05:24:14 am »
Well this guy has replied to me, but, he still hasn,t answered the question. He kind of attacked me in a way, and commented on things I,d posted about in the past that had nothing to do with what I,d asked. So, I,m guessing that the answer to my question is obviously yes, but he hasn,t got the balls to come out and say it. I,ll keep you posted on any further developments. ;)

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 11:24:54 am »
Well he answered another poster and he wanted to know; when two gay people get married, who wears the pretty white dress!!! He is so homophobic he makes me want to puke. >:( >:( >:(

Offline Artiste

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 11:37:54 am »
Hi souxi!

Ask him if he wears a white dress?

Hugs!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 11:59:37 am »
Well he answered another poster and he wanted to know; when two gay people get married, who wears the pretty white dress!!! He is so homophobic he makes me want to puke. >:( >:( >:(

He sounds like a troll.  Ban him.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 12:45:30 pm »
He sounds like a troll.  Ban him.

I agree. If you have power to get rid of him, use it. Don't engage him.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2007, 03:27:00 pm »
Hi souxi!

Yes, better likely NOT communicate, maybe with him?

However, if one does not at least try to educate him for humanity, maybe he will surely continue to destroy it?

Hugs!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 01:53:25 am »
I agree. If you have power to get rid of him, use it. Don't engage him.

I agree with crayons here...No idea what this forum is about or what your moderator duties are, but BetterMost, I feel, is an exemplary model of an Internet forum..very simple rule - no personal attacks...if people don't want to play nice and abide by that one simple rule, they're gone, the end.  Engaging trolls in debate just feeds the discontent they are trying to sow - you have to be above that.

Regards,
Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 08:51:11 am »
I agree with crayons here...No idea what this forum is about or what your moderator duties are, but BetterMost, I feel, is an exemplary model of an Internet forum..very simple rule - no personal attacks...if people don't want to play nice and abide by that one simple rule, they're gone, the end.  Engaging trolls in debate just feeds the discontent they are trying to sow - you have to be above that.

Regards,
Lynne

Hiya Lynne.

I moderate in a big chat room in the UK, every day. We also have message boards where people can post their thoughts/opinions and general opinions freely. This guy has still not answered my question. Someone else has started up a post about gays now so if he replys on that thread I,ll let you know what he says. I often catch him sitting in chat, using a different user name to the one he uses on the boards, just watching people. Strange little man he is.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 09:55:31 am »
Awaiting... you news.

Keep care!

Hugs!

Offline Katness

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Proud wolf in human clothing.
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 10:35:16 am »
It says, and I quote:

I've heard and seen things like this too.

Actually, one time. I was told (this was once the person found out I'm on the autism spectrum and lesbian) the person then proceeded to tell me that I should get over my autism and repent for being lesbian. Ummm huh?

So he and she would prefer me to eat their brains then be myself? (in other words be a zombie)

No thank you.

Sincerely, Kat.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

If all is not lost, then where is it?

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008, 12:15:03 pm »
It says, and I quote:

You have already replied, but the main way I deal with this kind of comment is to insist that the person that made it substantiate it.  Anybody can say anything, but saying it doesn't make it true.

Pedophiles take advantage of children in a way that is traumatic to them.  This is something we really don't want happening in our society.

Gays have adult to adult relationships, that may be very successful and last for decades.  Why shouldn't this be allowed?

"I don't like it" is not sufficient reason to legislate in a democracy.  There should be some damage done to society or its members that justify the restriction.  You need to insist they prove that it is 'sick' and substantiate what the damage is.

Wish him good luck, the APA tried for years and couldn't.  They kept coming out with opposite results and conclusions.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2008, 10:56:31 am »
Thanks all!!

Well said Clude-B!

May I dare say that I suppose that all persons are homophobic, to a certain degree??

I am a gay male.

Hugs!