Author Topic: When is it too late to still have Holiday decorations up?  (Read 117713 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
When is it too late to still have Holiday decorations up?
« on: November 09, 2007, 12:26:25 am »
This is the sister-poll to the thread here in this forum "When is it too early to put Holiday lights/decorations up?"

I personally, usually feel that by mid-January the season's over.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
Re: When is it too late to still have Holiday decorations up?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 12:32:12 am »
My decorations stay up until January 6th (Epiphany). :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 02:18:43 am »

I was going to suggest this as an option too, since I think this is a pretty typical choice, especially in Europe.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 02:50:47 am »

I was going to suggest this as an option too, since I think this is a pretty typical choice, especially in Europe.

I agree. I haven't voted yet. Epiphany is the traditional day to take the decorations down. I take them down either on Epiphany or the Friday after Epiphany, because the old Christmas trees are picked up on Saturday after Epiphany. It's always a youth group from a sports/musicians club or from a church that collects them and thereby collects money for charitiy.

But .... I always find some left over decorations much, much later  ::). The wreath on the front door is still there... from last year  ::). I won't take it down now.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 05:45:31 am »

Same here. That's the day we celebrate the visitation of the three kings. We have a special 'kings' cake that day with a coffee bean hidden in it. The one who gets the bean, gets to be the king for one day. Of course that doesn't imply being excused from 'cleaning up christmas' duty!  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 06:48:57 am »
Epiphany is the day, but I like to leave the tree up for a while. Everything else should be down by Epiphany. Last year we had a wedding reception on January 27 so EVERYTHING stayed up for that; I wanted my mother and aunt to see the tree. It's artificial so there is no problem with that!

. I ended up taking the tree down the day before the Estes Park BBQ committee met in out house, which was in MARCH.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 10:00:03 am »
I went with everything should be down by Martin Luther King Day. I usually try to get my stuff away the weekend next after Epiphany. My mother always insisted that everything be put away New Year's Day--though she had started decorating in early December, so by New Year's Day I imagine she was pretty sick of the stuff.

A caveat. If the outside of your house is tastefully decorated in white lights, I have no problem with keeping those lights up and lighted at night until, perhaps, sometime in February, by which time the days are noticeably getting longer. Just a personal taste.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 10:06:10 am »
when is martin luther king day?

and please tell me the valentines day one isn't for real!?! (but yeah twinkl white lights are pokay as they aren't specifically xmas)

Mine come down either on the 2nd - which is a public holiday and I'm nor mally bored between films and good tv bu8t too lazy to go outside or on 6 jan like many of you are saying - the 12th day of xmas!

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 11:10:24 am »
when is martin luther king day?

January 17th...or whatever Monday falls near that date.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 11:13:17 am »
I said New Year's Day but when we really do it is the weekend after New Year's, depending on what day of the week New Year's falls on.

I like decorations but by the beginning of January I am ready to put everything away and start fresh.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 03:51:54 pm »
Hi Buds,

I added dates for the events listed above (for 2008) and I've added an "other" option for those of you who have other traditions and deadlines you like to follow.

I've made it so that you can change your vote following these changes to the original poll if you'd like.

cheers!

Scott6373

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 03:53:19 pm »
I don't decorate so, if I never saw those frikkin' twinkle lights it wouldn't bother me.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 06:23:43 pm »
A private joke of mine...I initiate people into the "Dead Wreath Society." Those are folks who still have their wreaths (or other) decorations up after Valentine's Day.

L

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 01:54:33 am »
Well, anything 'Christmas-sy' should really be taken down outside by Epiphany. Wreaths, bows, etc. I have no objection to leaving outside lights up though. Inside Yeah, I like to leave the tree up. It's just so pretty.

My mother starts decorating in October and takes her window down after the Feast of the Epiphany. The lights are off on that day. They get removed soon after. She doesn't finish putting things away until February at the earliest because she has so much decorated and it takes time to put it all away.  I think she would leave the big tree up longer, but once you start putting things away, there is no point. It's a real clutter.

I drove my wife crazy with the tree last year. It was decorated, undecorated, redecorated, undecorated and then decorated again. It's a 9 foot tree, too!

I couldn't get it to look right. The tree must be perfect. That is my mother coming out roflmao.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 02:00:27 am »
I couldn't get it to look right. The tree must be perfect. That is my mother coming out roflmao.

"All men become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No woman ever does. That is hers."

The Importance of Being Earnest
Oscar Wilde
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 11:59:17 am »
A private joke of mine...I initiate people into the "Dead Wreath Society." Those are folks who still have their wreaths (or other) decorations up after Valentine's Day.

L

So I'm a member of the club  ;D.

The wreath on the front door is still there... from last year  . I won't take it down now.

Did you speak a silent spell (or blessing) on my wreath when you were here in March?  :laugh: ;)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 07:16:44 pm »
I don't decorate so, if I never saw those frikkin' twinkle lights it wouldn't bother me.

Oh sweetie I am so sorry you feel that way...its terrible to be so depressed about something

when others are so giddy...I feel rather like that this year, not because I dont like Christmas, but because

I dont have the strength to put it all up like I used to..  oh well life goes on.

Beautiful mind

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 09:27:41 am »
So I'm a member of the club  ;D.

Did you speak a silent spell (or blessing) on my wreath when you were here in March?  :laugh: ;)

I said a blessing, of course! For health, happiness, good wishes and coming to visit ME sometime...and look, the last part is coming true, along with everything else!

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 09:32:52 am »
I am one to talk about the Dead Wreath Society...

A few years ago, we got new storm doors...the kind that have one large pane of glass and you can switch it out to be a screen in the summer. I should also point out we have 3 "front" doors on our house. In this picture you can see two of the three doors:

Anyway, we bought 3 wreaths, as usual. My husband hung them on the front door, also as usual, but this time they were behind the glass (which we never had before). Of course, it was like an oven and the wreaths instantly baked and turned brown...within a matter of days. I was so annoyed, we just left them up. So we had dead brown wreaths for the entire month of December.

L

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 01:35:52 pm »
You all leave decorations up at least through Epiphany?  Man, I'm relieved and impressed with all your good taste.  (Not that I should be surprised!)

I freaking hate it when folks throw their tree out by the roadside on the 26th.  (Aligning their Christmas with the shopping calendar instead of the liturgical one.)  Tacky as hell!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 01:44:37 pm »
Yeah, that just amazes me.

It's like...why bother doing it at all?

Epiphany is when the lights should go off, or at the very least, if you like the lights in those dark days, take off the bows and wreaths!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 05:05:30 pm »
wow! siome size of house Lelslie!

I can't bvemlive folk leave decorations up till february though - thats madness!

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 06:02:11 pm »
wow! siome size of house Lelslie!

I can't bvemlive folk leave decorations up till february though - thats madness!

It is actually smaller than it looks. The first house is the house on the left and it was built in 1803. On the ground floor, it has two large rooms (which would have been the main family/room kitchen and bedroom), plus a small room tucked behind the chimney (that would have been a baby's room or sickroom) and a another small room. Upstairs, there are two rooms tucked under the eaves.

The second house, on the right, was added 30 years later (1832) when the son and his wife and children came back to live with mom and dad. Same layout, but the rooms are a little bit bigger and the configuration upstairs has a more open ceiling.

This is a very typical layout for a farmhouse/country house in New England.

L

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 06:08:18 pm »
looks lovely.

(and apologies for my terrible spelling tonight!!)

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 08:52:12 pm »
New England houses are supposed to look virginal...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 07:40:00 am »
New England houses are supposed to look virginal...

That's why we have white lights for Christmas  ;)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 09:39:24 am »
That's why we have white lights for Christmas  ;)

Can somebody explain to me why people would put green lightbulbs as the "flame" in an electric "candleholder"?  ;D

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 03:55:21 pm »
I like stringing out the white lights the first week of December.  With darkness starting so early this time of the year, it's a nice pick me up.  It's brings extra "warmth" to the house. 

I tend to bring out other decorations as the month of December progresses.   I don't like fresh evergreen in the house too soon as it tends to dry out quite fast and become a hazard.

There's always some new decorations I buy. You know, some ridiculously overpriced candlesticks at POTTERY BARN or other places like that.

I take down my decorations on January 2nd.  A month is long enough.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 07:01:01 pm »
and hear I though pottery barn was just a made up store from friends.. but its real!!!

Susiebell

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2007, 11:09:05 am »
In the UK, it's bad luck to have your decorations up after Twelfth Night.  The only question is ... what is Twelfth Night?  According to my book, the first night is on 25th December, which means that Twelfth Night is 5th January.  So all my decorations come down on the 5th!  However, a lot of  people still think that Twelfth Night is the 6th (near enough)!

But I don't want to talk about taking them down ... I haven't even put them up yet!!

Susie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2007, 02:40:26 am »
and hear I though pottery barn was just a made up store from friends.. but its real!!!

Oh yeah, it's real.

http://www.potterybarn.com/

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2007, 08:36:35 am »
ya know, i never really liked that store...

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2007, 09:50:09 pm »
If they're still up after Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, it's too late, IMO!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2007, 09:53:27 pm »
Well, here in the south, it is considered very  bad luck to have your Christmas tree up on New Years Day!
So, I have all the  decorations down and put away by then. Usually I am finishing up on the  31st.
However, some of my less civilized brethren feel that as long as  the tree is down they are covered and can leave their frickin lights up till next Christmas!!  >:(
But I digress!  ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

karen1129

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2007, 10:41:14 pm »
Oh....... you are supposed to take your christmas lights down every year? :o :o ;D
Huh !

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2007, 10:45:07 pm »
Oh....... you are supposed to take your christmas lights down every year? :o :o ;D
Huh !

LOL!! Well I do anyways!  :laugh:
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

karen1129

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2007, 10:50:54 pm »
LOL!! Well I do anyways!  :laugh:

Hey.... I'm from East Texas.  We leave em up !!!! ;D

Actually, I haven't had a tree or lights in years.  I did put a red candle out last year !! :laugh:

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2007, 11:15:42 pm »
Hey.... I'm from East Texas.  We leave em up !!!! ;D

Actually, I haven't had a tree or lights in years.  I did put a red candle out last year !! :laugh:
Girl, you better get some holiday spirit before theholidaysprits come to you! LOL

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2007, 11:59:51 pm »
Girl, you better get some holiday spirit before theholidaysprits come to you! LOL

She can get those spirits at the Hula Hut, can't she?  ;D

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2007, 12:20:39 am »
She can get those spirits at the Hula Hut, can't she?  ;D

Well hell yes she can!!
Shoot, by the end of the evnin we can all be doin the grass skirt scare the evilspirits away dance! LOL

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2007, 12:57:48 pm »
reminds me of that Gretchen Wilson song.....

I keep my Christmas lights up on my front porch all year long....

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2008, 07:59:55 am »
Since we were unable to decorate the house for Christmas in 2007  Denver at all, as in at all, and I KNOW we will still be stuck there next year I've been making plans. I bought one of those deer and a bear. I need another deer ---for which read Elk--- and two cowboys. Next year we will have them in front. And I've been buying LED lights on sale wherever I find them. I'll bring them home a few at a time, from NY, and actually have a number bought in Denver. 

Today I'm running to Saks to get more 3/4 off Christmas ornaments. I like the French and German and Polish ones. However they cost a fortune unles you buy them after the holiday. When you do that, sadly, you miss some. Those Murano angels were gone on Dec 26!

I bought a lot of Baccarat ornaments on ebay, paying between 10 and 16 bucks for them. This lady had tons of Baccarat reindeer ornaments a few years ago, and I bought 27 at 9.99 each. Most I gave to aunt Pauline for her tree but we have 2-3.I'm getting more french grenadiers  from replacements unlimited; they bought Bernardaud's entire stock of Christmas ornaments and over the years I must have got 20 of them for relatives etc, but WE only have 4. I need 10 more for what i want to do with a garland.

My wife lets me do it. Last year was the first she saw me up close at Christmas time. Juniour says I'm the cHRISTMAS nAZI, because I decorated, and undecorated, and redecorated that 9 foot tree three times. It just didn't LOOK right. Too much red in spots, too much crystal in spotsNo gold where it was needed. Too much silver on top. Wreong sizes here and there......only way to deal with such decorative instability is to redo the whole thing from top to bottom, or until Katrina says to leave it or die.....lol

Now, this should all stay up until Easter. Or the first 2009 BBQ committee housemeeting.........

lol

i wonder if any of those 2-3 foot Anna Lee figures are left?????

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2008, 08:26:41 am »
I took the decorations and the tree down today. Next tuesday, all the christmas trees will be picked up by a special garbage van.

We didn't have many decorations this year, so it didn't take me more than an hour to clean everything up. Another Christmas gone, time to get on with the new year.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2008, 09:13:35 am »
I put all my Christmas dishes away, and undecorated the tree on New Year's Day. I don't think I've ever done it so early, but I was in the mood and when the mood strikes, I need to act on it! However, the tree is still up! LOL. No lights and it looks so forlorn standing in its corner. I'm sure my husband will take it out tomorrow morning. I have to laugh since I am usually the one who procrastinates on getting the house de-Chrismatized!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2008, 10:03:09 am »
mine came down last night - the reef on the dorr is the only yhring lft - it was the first thing up on 1 Jan and its still looks great so going to keep it up for a while - its nice having something on my door.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2008, 02:11:03 am »
seriously, next year, if we have a next year, the outside lights will go off when they're supposed to go off, on the Epiphany. The tree will stay longer

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2008, 02:16:29 pm »
Ours are still up here and it is January 5th..   Maybe tomorrow they will come down..  I dont want to wait too much longer.  But I must admit Im not sick of the tree and decorations yet.  Its pretty. ;)

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2008, 12:27:22 pm »
I would leave them up all year, but there is a superstition that if they are up after the 5th.  I always thought that this was the twelfth day of Christmas?

I think that any strong superstition will quickly become tradition, and therefore my decorations came down yesterday    :'(

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2008, 12:28:33 pm »
sorry, that made no sense.  What I meant to say was, if decs are up after the fifth, it's bad luck. 

Sorry, my fingers ran away from me!   :laugh:

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2008, 02:09:19 pm »
Hey, Sandy, I'm glad you avoided the bad luck!  But I see that 6 folks in the poll above voted for Martin Luther King Day as the latest that it was okay to take them down, so I'm just going to trust that they'll be fine in spite of all!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2008, 02:37:48 pm »
Hi Meryl

Tell you what.... Martin Luther King Day 2009 it is!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2008, 04:49:28 pm »
It's epiphany today and that's the traditional day to take all Christmas decorations down and put away the tree.
However, we had guests today and therefore delayed it. But today is the first day we don't put on the window lights. Everything will come down tomorrow and the day after.
*sigh* I love my tree and its lights. I could leave it all winter, as long as it's so dark outside  :laugh:.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2008, 06:42:15 pm »
We have the candle lights in the windows and still have those up, even though all the decorations in the house are put away. Like you said, Chrissi, when it is so dark, it is nice to have the extra lights throughout the house.

L

Susiebell

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2008, 07:02:25 pm »
My house looks so bare  :-\

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2008, 10:47:00 pm »
sorry, that made no sense.  What I meant to say was, if decs are up after the fifth, it's bad luck. 

Sorry, my fingers ran away from me!   :laugh:
It's the 6th Sandy. They are supposed to be lit on that day, it's the Epiphany. Around NY it's the traditional last day for decorations to be lit outside, although last year the Rockefeller center tree stayed lit quite a few days longer, and so did other public things; I assume it was for the tourists. Personal lighting is another matter..And so far as the inside goes, if it's a real tree of course it needs to go but an artificial one can stay longer. But I wouldn't light anything outside after tonight, which is EPIPHANY.

And then it depends upon how much you have up inside too-----it takes a couple of weeks to remove and store what my mother does, while some can do it in an hour.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2008, 08:46:35 am »
My house looks so bare  :-\

I know what you mean Susie. So I went and got myself a new big houseplant to 'replace' the christmas tree.

There, much better.  :)

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2008, 08:56:32 am »
speaking of holiday decorations I clicked this link at google and sort of liked these. What do you think, is my taste lousy or do they have possibilities? Thery aren't that much and could be used in conjunction with a garland hung on a wall. Or they could also be used as one on the tree...

http://www.grapelightmagic.com/index.html?directLoad&uid=90639E8AAB71558449840BB4107FFDE9

Offline "Joseph Golden"

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Dozy embrace solidified in his memory
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2008, 09:37:02 am »

My mum made me take them down the other day. It took ages and i'm glad chrismas is once a year.
Don’t lie, don’t try to fool me, Ennis. I know what it means. Jack Twist? Jack Nasty.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2008, 07:18:47 pm »
Never too late ! Some houses have year round Christmas tree in their hoimes !

Right ?

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2008, 07:23:02 am »
If they're still up outside the house, BUT NO LONGER LIT and the weather is ,you can get away with it for a while.

But if you still have Santa dancing on the lawn in late january anywhere but Denver, Colorado--where the EXTERIOUR DECORATIONS are kept lit through the month of January to celebrate the National West Stock Show-- it looks ridiculous.

The exteriour lights are supposed to go off on the Feast of the Epiphany. Epiphany has always been the traditional end of the Christmas Season. We will probably leave the outside lights lit for Stock Show, but take off bows and ribbons.

I'm going to try to do a Brokeback Scene outside. Two cowboys around a campfire with a bear and 2 elk>>>for which you can read one of those brightly lit deer LOL they sell @ home depot.

That's the PLAN at any rate....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's nice to be back here. The first step is the first post. THAT'S the hard one. You just get into the habit of not showing up. I've lost contact with a lot of people I care about and that just sucks, my fellow bettermostians...

I just stopped going online....kept meaning to come back but didn't. I meant what I said, about getting into the habit of not showing up. You simply DON'T and start thinking the Spirit of Brokeback is over when it isn't. It's inside of us and should be nurtured, treasured for what it is.

And then when I had the accident and was  injured so badly , I just didn't know what to say...until now. I haven't even seen the Denver Brokies much and that sucks. I even have mail in my BM box that's never been looked at and I am oh so sorry for that.

It's nice to be here, I miss Brokeback soooo much and miss talking with you all a great deal. Brokies understand each other; insofar as you can make a general statement about ANYthing, I've always believed Brokies have the same heart.

A hug from my heart to yours

AND BONJOUR, ARTISTE!!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2008, 07:51:25 am »
Et bonjour à toi aussi    brokebackjack                !

I placed my Snowman outside for all to see weeks ago !

Before or after Halloween ?

Did you notice that some stores had Christmas decorations and items before Halloween ?

Au revoir stud,
Artiste  Have your heard about the new movie which will be coming soon titled: Ciao, eh brokebackjack ?
Guess which image is from it ?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2008, 01:05:12 pm »
It's nice to be back here. The first step is the first post. THAT'S the hard one. You just get into the habit of not showing up. I've lost contact with a lot of people I care about and that just sucks, my fellow bettermostians...

I just stopped going online....kept meaning to come back but didn't. I meant what I said, about getting into the habit of not showing up. You simply DON'T and start thinking the Spirit of Brokeback is over when it isn't. It's inside of us and should be nurtured, treasured for what it is.

And then when I had the accident and was  injured so badly , I just didn't know what to say...until now. I haven't even seen the Denver Brokies much and that sucks. I even have mail in my BM box that's never been looked at and I am oh so sorry for that.

It's nice to be here, I miss Brokeback soooo much and miss talking with you all a great deal. Brokies understand each other; insofar as you can make a general statement about ANYthing, I've always believed Brokies have the same heart.

A hug from my heart to yours.

Hugs backatcha, Jack!  It's good to see you back.  Pull up a log and stick a boot in the fire!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2008, 03:55:35 pm »
If they're still up outside the house, BUT NO LONGER LIT and the weather is ,you can get away with it for a while.

But if you still have Santa dancing on the lawn in late january anywhere but Denver, Colorado--where the EXTERIOUR DECORATIONS are kept lit through the month of January to celebrate the National West Stock Show-- it looks ridiculous.

The exteriour lights are supposed to go off on the Feast of the Epiphany. Epiphany has always been the traditional end of the Christmas Season. We will probably leave the outside lights lit for Stock Show, but take off bows and ribbons.

I'm going to try to do a Brokeback Scene outside. Two cowboys around a campfire with a bear and 2 elk>>>for which you can read one of those brightly lit deer LOL they sell @ home depot.

That's the PLAN at any rate....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND BONJOUR, ARTISTE!!!

Hey there Friend!!!  It's so great to see you back online!!  Folks have certainly missed you around here.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2008, 07:37:43 pm »
Et...

hugs galore to you !

Did you hear about the movie titled: Ciao which seems to be a great gay one ?

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2008, 02:20:18 am »
Hi artiste! Hi Meryl! Hi atz!

nice to be back. hey what are the active threads these days??And more important how are you all? Whats been going on?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a possible Brokie gathering going on out here in Denver next June; During the Pride weekend the Esquire--a cool art-film theater--is showing BBM two days in a row FOR THEIR WEEKLY Friday and Saturday MIDNIGHT MOVIE.  They're going to work with Rodney and have a display featuring the many film props from his collection.

The esquire is a very cool theater. The midnight manager had wanted to sow BBM THIS year but decided against it...because the theater wasn't willing to even APPEAR as if they were cashing in on or exploiting Heath's death. These days something like that is unfortunately exceptional; I think all Brokies anywhere will respect how the staff at the Esquire felt, and how they BEHAVED. It had quiet class.

I f you dress as a character from any of the films they show at Midnight you get free passes, too. There will be a LOT of cowboys, methinks! And Jack's all over the place lol...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is anyone going to be in Denver around the Holidays? We're actually staying here this year. it's not fair to Katrina's mother for the 2 of us to fly off to NY every year so we're staying put. And of course, while I look fine my chest is still shattered, according to what the docs  said today. It's healing very slowly, but it IS healing. Still, I can't drive until AT LEAST MARCH. THIS is a MAJOR BUMMER. And I'm forbidden to fly for at least the next 2 months. That was disaqppointing, it would have been nice to go home in January...but wtf !

see you later buds

I used to LOVE the midnight showings of Brokeback in NYC and gathering or not, I'm going lol.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2008, 04:43:25 am »

I am very glad you are getting better Jack.  I hope you will be totally fine withing a very short time..

Beautiful mind

Offline Artiste

« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2008, 11:31:54 am »
I am very happy that you are well Jack !

And may you be better and better in health and have all your desires too !

I think that I heard that it takes 7 years for bones to re-make themselves or do new bones ? So, be courageous!  My bones are still healing after 4 beat me up, as you know, since they were anti-gay, and used that as a con - and, since bones are usefull, mine are used too like yours!

One of my brothers had broken bones in his back! I remember how red like fire when I looked at it. But doctor neglected on purpose all these years to send my brother for tests, and now sent him too late. So, my brother is on his last days dying ! So, make sure you get right doctors and treatments!

Plus, the right foods are needed ! You know ?

My lover/buddy was given foods by the hospital they should not have given him and  that partly killed him !

Glad that Brokeback Mountain movie will be shown your way.

Maybe the new film one Ciao will interest you too ?

Awaiting your news,
keep care, hugs!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2008, 02:28:27 am »
hiiii Janice!! How are you doing?

And Artiste, I am very sorry about your brother, it sounds awful...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2008, 01:16:07 pm »
There's a possible Brokie gathering going on out here in Denver next June; During the Pride weekend the Esquire--a cool art-film theater--is showing BBM two days in a row FOR THEIR WEEKLY Friday and Saturday MIDNIGHT MOVIE.  They're going to work with Rodney and have a display featuring the many film props from his collection.

The esquire is a very cool theater. The midnight manager had wanted to sow BBM THIS year but decided against it...because the theater wasn't willing to even APPEAR as if they were cashing in on or exploiting Heath's death. These days something like that is unfortunately exceptional; I think all Brokies anywhere will respect how the staff at the Esquire felt, and how they BEHAVED. It had quiet class.

I f you dress as a character from any of the films they show at Midnight you get free passes, too. There will be a LOT of cowboys, methinks! And Jack's all over the place lol...

Yeehaw! Please keep us posted as this develops, Jack! I would love to get back to Denver (and also Wyoming, of course) again next year.  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2008, 04:10:36 pm »
Outstanding friend!! And for the sheep you can use your lamb's ears, lol! Let me know if I can help! And, I know a good electrician, too...Chuck!

What a treasure to find in such an unlikely place! We all missed you painfully friend, even me, who had the chance to see you every once in a while. Sooooo glad you're back friend, and healing every day!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2008, 04:56:43 pm »

Oh dear, it is wonderful to see you back here again.  I hope you are feeling better every day...Looking forward to
seeing more of you in the future.....janice

Beautiful mind

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2008, 06:30:45 am »
Yeehaw! Please keep us posted as this develops, Jack! I would love to get back to Denver (and also Wyoming, of course) again next year.  :)

This is pretty cool Jeff. Last I spoke with rodney on it he was very gung ho about exhibiting some of his collection. The esquire is a cool art house. it's also literally on my corner roflmao.

I am looking forward to it myself!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2008, 02:31:32 pm »
This is pretty cool Jeff. Last I spoke with rodney on it he was very gung ho about exhibiting some of his collection. The esquire is a cool art house. it's also literally on my corner roflmao.

I am looking forward to it myself!

It's not going to conflict with Adam's Alberta expedition, is it? I'm not planning to go to Alberta myself, but it would be kind of sad to come to Denver when half or more of my Colorado buds have fled to the mountains of Alberta.  :-\

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2008, 02:43:45 pm »
It's not going to conflict with Adam's Alberta expedition, is it? I'm not planning to go to Alberta myself, but it would be kind of sad to come to Denver when half or more of my Colorado buds have fled to the mountains of Alberta.  :-\

We'll be in Alberta from around the 3rd of June to the 14th of June. I'm sure the Esquire can be flexible this far out in the calendar!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2008, 03:31:18 pm »
We'll be in Alberta from around the 3rd of June to the 14th of June. I'm sure the Esquire can be flexible this far out in the calendar!

One can hope. I understood Jack to say the theater was thinking of showing the film during Gay Pride Weekend in Denver. That might limit the flexibility, if they want to do this as an event during Gay Pride Weekend.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2008, 09:16:29 am »
I think it's the week AFTER Alberta.

I intend to go there myself so I HOPE it's not in conflict and don't believe it IS...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2008, 09:48:27 am »

I intend to go there myself so I HOPE it's not in conflict and don't believe it IS...

That would be a good thing, for the events not to conflict.  :)

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2008, 08:36:32 am »
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,30976.msg453227.html#msg453227

A new thread for people addicted to Christmas Ornaments...

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2008, 04:40:42 pm »

So you are going to Alberta Jack? That is great. I am hoping to go myself. As I have written out Christmas cards I am amazed at the number of ones going to Colorado. Hearing about that plane leaving Denver has freaked me out some I must say. I am very familiar with that Denver to Houston route on Continental.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2008, 05:27:29 am »
I can't say definately but think I will probably go, Jack. I'm more interested in Wyoming then Alberta but........biiiig but!!!! It would be interesting.

And that plane astonished me as well. Made me glad I'm not flying home, too; the last time, in April, the return flight had so much turbulence I actually yelled in my seat....including one very heartfelt "OH SHIIIIT!!!!!" Now with that runway crash I'm glad we stayed home in Denver! There are too many planes in the air this time of year, just too many, and much as I want to go back home it can wait. Can't fly anyway with my chest the way it is

{ I can't find the damned addresses and will send them in the afternoon}

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2013, 04:23:37 pm »
My tree (man-made, not a cut natural) is still up, as well as my Christmas village/train layout. I put a few things away last week, and on Sunday, which was the Feast of the Epiphany, I packed away my grandma's Nativity set for another year. I also took the wreath off the door, the ornaments off my potted Norfolk Island pine tree, and the garland and ornaments off the dining room chandelier. I also put away the red candles and got the white candles back out and in grandma's candlesticks.

The tree and the train layout will have to wait till next Saturday.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2013, 04:44:09 pm »
I cleaned out the Christmast stuff at work the day after New Year's Day.  It's still slow then, and I can be away from my cube to do it.

At home, it comes down in stages.  The outside is completely done, and the inside is mostly done.  The tree is still up (but undecorated) and a few knick-knacks are still on shelves.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2013, 04:46:22 pm »
Mine always come down on 2nd.. by then they have been up for a month and thats enough.. And now Naylan is here I need the space back for all the toys he got at Christmas!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2013, 01:35:09 am »
Traditionally, holiday decorations come down on Epiphany (Jan. 6th) since it marks the end of Christmas season. But I'm always late. :laugh:
Everything is still up and will be until next weekend at least. But I'm detemined to not let it stand as long as last year, when March was already approaching before I took my tree down.... ::) :laugh:

I just love the warm light of the tree. The chain of light I put around my tree every year is almost as old as I am. My father bought it on my first Christmas when I was a baby. Before me, my parents had real candles (what a nightmare! I couldn't relax for one second! :laugh:).
Anyway, it's not only a cherished family heirloom, but also has a warm, aged glow that you just don't get from any other light source.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2013, 09:59:39 am »
I just love the warm light of the tree. The chain of light I put around my tree every year is almost as old as I am. My father bought it on my first Christmas when I was a baby. Before me, my parents had real candles (what a nightmare! I couldn't relax for one second! :laugh:).
Anyway, it's not only a cherished family heirloom, but also has a warm, aged glow that you just don't get from any other light source.

After Christmas of 2011, when I used my potted Norfolk Island Pine as my Christmas tree, I never took the lights off the tree when I took off all the other ornaments. Sometimes I turn the lights on just to add a nice glow to that part of the room in the evening.

And thanks to keeping the lights on the tree, I can tell that the tree grew five inches in a year.  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2013, 10:03:05 am »
Mine always come down on 2nd.. by then they have been up for a month and thats enough.

You sound like my mother. With her, everything disappeared New Year's Day.  ;D

I'm thinking that when I take my tree down this weekend, I may keep the "winter landscape" for my train layout for awhile. I'll just pack away the Christmas Village buildings and replace them with other structures that aren't decorated for Christmas.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2013, 12:30:00 pm »

Chrissi, in that case I would leave the decor up as long as possible too! What wonderful memories!

A coworker was telling me that Christmas trees originated in Germany and thereabouts and they were not a Christian or pagan thing but rather a way to freshen the interior air during the winter, as things tended to get a little smelly inside. This year I was asked not to put up a Christmas tree by my son in law because of its pagan origins so I'm looking forward to setting him straight about this. The pagan Celts actually worshipped the oak tree, not the evergreen.

My other Christmas ornaments are staying up as long as possible until I get tired of them. A lot of them are not that Christmasy, they're more wintery, such as reindeer figurines, etc. Plus, each year I wait in the vain hope that someone else will initiate this or at least help, but no one ever does. I did pack away my large nativity set because it is very fragile and my grandson was showing an interest in handling each piece which was causing stress. I still have the lovely glass ornament on display that you gave me, friend!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2013, 01:23:08 pm »
This year I was asked not to put up a Christmas tree by my son in law because of its pagan origins so I'm looking forward to setting him straight about this. The pagan Celts actually worshipped the oak tree, not the evergreen.

There is also the legend--and I'm pretty sure it's a legend--that no less a Christian light than Martin Luther himself was the first to put "lights"--presumably candles--on a Christmas tree to represent the stars in the sky over Bethlehem. You can thank my Lutheran upbringing for that, but if Christmas trees were OK for Luther, then I should think they ought to be OK for your son-in-law. (He sounds like a Puritan--next he'll be wanting you to banish Christmas altogether. Talk about a "war on Christmas"!)

Anyway, now you've got me intrigued and wanting to do research on the origins and history of the Christmas tree!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2013, 02:42:01 pm »

Chrissi, in that case I would leave the decor up as long as possible too! What wonderful memories!

:)

This year I was asked not to put up a Christmas tree by my son in law because of its pagan origins so I'm looking forward to setting him straight about this.

Poor Lee. (see below)

My other Christmas ornaments are staying up as long as possible until I get tired of them. A lot of them are not that Christmasy, they're more wintery, such as reindeer figurines, etc. Plus, each year I wait in the vain hope that someone else will initiate this or at least help, but no one ever does. I did pack away my large nativity set because it is very fragile and my grandson was showing an interest in handling each piece which was causing stress. I still have the lovely glass ornament on display that you gave me, friend!

Do you ask for help or just hope for it? (Maybe there are more members in your family you ought to set straight? ;))
This year, my kids decorated the tree all by themselves. Jens and I took all the stuff out from storage and set up the tree, and put on the light chain (yes, that's MY job, and I wouldn't let anyone else do it :laugh:).
The next day I told the kids to decorate it while I was in town Christmas shopping. It's beautiful!

Great to hear you still have and use the glass ornament! :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2013, 03:11:39 pm »

Anyway, now you've got me intrigued and wanting to do research on the origins and history of the Christmas tree!

Me too! :laugh:

Our priest told yet another version of the origin of the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve service; basically saying that it is indeed of Christian origin (no wonder). I found his version even on wikipedia, low and behold.

What I gathered from scanning through wikipedia:

- there were pre-christian traditions in various cultures to decorate home with evergreens over winter/around the turn of the year. Romans had bay (laurel?) to guarantee long life, other pre-christian tribes used evergreens to scare away devils/demons.

- in medieval times they held plays (paradise plays) about Adam and Eve and the fall of mankind on Dec. 24th. The tree of knowledge/life is usually depicted as an apple tree, but in winter apple trees don't hold leaves, let alone apples. Thus people took an evergreen tree and put wooden apples on it. (That's the version the priest told, and parts of it are also on wikipedia). What I do know is that red, wooden apples are very old, traditional ornaments for Christmas trees.

- the Martin Luther version, like Jeff already mentioned

- In Livonia (present-day Latvia and Estonia), in 1441, 1442, 1510 and 1514, the Brotherhood of Blackheads erected a tree for the holidays in their guild houses

- A Bremen guild chronicle of 1570 reports that a small tree decorated with "apples, nuts, dates, pretzels and paper flowers" was erected in the guild-house for the benefit of the guild members' children, who collected the dainties on Christmas

All in all I'd say the Christmas tree is associated with Christanity for a very long time. Who cares whether the ancient Romans also put evergreens in their houses in winter? I mean, the Romans also had water closets. I'm pretty sure your SIL does not oppose the use of them as being 'pagan', now does he? ( ::) - sorry, can't help it)

Just tell him the story our priest told. There, you've got it, verified by a real Christian clergyman!  O0

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2013, 04:12:21 pm »
Chrissi and I must have read the same Wikipedia article.  :laugh:

I was surprised that there was no tree at the Vatican until the time of JP II.

Now we have to find out who on earth were the Brotherhood of Blackheads!  :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2013, 05:31:27 pm »
I guess the Brotherhood of Blackheads was a merchants guild in Estonia that got started in the 14th century:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brotherhood_of_Blackheads

Sounds positively Sherlockian!

What puzzles me is that they were Christians and were persecuted for being so. What was the prevalent religion there then, I wonder?  ???

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2013, 10:30:52 am »
I guess the Brotherhood of Blackheads was a merchants guild in Estonia that got started in the 14th century:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brotherhood_of_Blackheads

Sounds positively Sherlockian!

What puzzles me is that they were Christians and were persecuted for being so. What was the prevalent religion there then, I wonder?  ???

Well, if you follow the link to the Brotherhood of Blackheads article, and then from there the link to the article on the St. George's Night Uprising, it would seem that as late as the middle of the 14th century the region of the Baltic states was only superficially Christianized. It might be useful or interesting to research something like "Christianity in Estonia," or perhaps that business about "renouncing Christianity" was a lie thrown in by those who ultimately crushed the rebellion to make the rebels who had killed priests and monks--whom I'm guessing were ethnic Germans, not natives--seem even more awful.

Edit to Add:

Article on the history of Estonia: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/estonia/history

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2013, 02:39:12 pm »
This is getting creepy! I was just looking at an Infographic of emotions for which there is no English word and zeroed in on Viitsima, which is Estonian. I'm starting to think I'm destined to travel to Estonia this year in search of Aurochs.  8)

Offline brianr

« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2013, 12:19:28 am »
I have a photo of the House of Blackheads which I toured in 2008. It is in Riga, Latvia, do not remember anything of that name in Estonia. (on the right)

It is one of the few photos I still have of my trips from 2008 to 2010. I had posted it on my blog. My hard drive crashed last month and although I sent it to a lab all was lost.  :(
I now have an external hard drive which backs up every hour the new computer (MacBook Air) is turned on. A bit of overkill really.

Our vicar told us just recently that Jesus was probably born in September. Therefore all of the Christmas festivities are just a Christian take over of the pagan Mid Winter celebrations. Of course for me it has always been mid summer and most traditions are rather ridiculous.

I took down my cards, the nativity scene and a small santa ornament last Sunday (Epiphany). The only person to see them was the electricity meter reader anyway. I will keep the cards and show them to my sister when she visits in March.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2013, 09:58:51 am »
Our vicar told us just recently that Jesus was probably born in September.

That's interesting! I don't suppose he happened to say on what that conclusion was based?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2013, 11:56:23 am »
This is studied extensively in Messianic Judaism, and a thorough explanation is located here. Scholars have concluded that Jesus was born during the Feast of the Tabernacles in September-October, when Jewish people often sleep in tents or booths outside (and they theorize that that is where Jesus was born, in a booth, not a barn).

Setting Christmas on December 25 was done by the early Roman Christian emperors in the third century AD, to cause the least amount of upset among the people who were accustomed to celebrating the birth of Mithras then.

Oh, and most scholars think that Christ was born in 4 to 6 BC.

Offline brianr

« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2013, 01:45:36 pm »
It was our vicar's sermon for Epiphany. I will quote from his blog

" As we’re often told, we don’t know the actual date of Jesus’ birth, although if Jesus was born six months after his cousin John the Baptist then we can say with some certainty that Jesus was born in September. John’s father Zecchariah was on duty in the Temple at the time of the announcement of John’s birth and thus, knowing when his family would have been on duty as we do – Luke tells us Zechariah was of the order of Abijah – it’s merely a matter of adding 15 months which brings us to September!! So we were ALL late for Christmas!!
However many Christians are even later than we were. For Orthodox Christians, who make up about 1/3 of the world’s Christians celebrate Christmas today – the Feast of the Epiphany – so if you like a good reason for some more celebration – then conversion might be a good idea :)"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2013, 03:21:06 pm »
Fascinating! Thanks! I will have to study the article Lee linked more closely when I have time.  :)

Offline oilgun

« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2013, 09:11:05 pm »
We always took down xmas decorations the day after Epiphany.

In any event I'm still upset that Brussels caved in to traditionalists (and, inexplicably, islamophobes) and dismantled their very cool electronic xmas tree before New Year's eve.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nurpg44Pygo[/youtube]

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2014, 06:38:59 pm »
I am beginning to think that perhaps it's not such a bad idea to keep lights up until the vernal equinox. Lights make everything so much more cheerful when it's dark so early in the afternoon or evening.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2014, 01:17:19 pm »
I usually take my lights down the first weekend after New Year's Day.  Given that New Year's Day is a Thursday this year, I'll extend it to the second weekend.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2015, 03:21:17 pm »
Well, at home and at work, all my Christmas decorations have been put away--except that I've decided to leave the imitation poinsettias and holly out, possibly through February.

And then at home I do have a lovely live Christmas decoration that will be up as long as it likes: My Christmas cactus is in full bloom.  :)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2015, 04:02:18 pm »
Today we 'un-decorated' the office, with the exception of the Christmas tree, which will come down on the Epiphany, which is tomorrow.

My decorations and tree at home will stay up until Saturday, and I will continue to light them.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2015, 09:43:22 am »
On the way home from work and the gym, I decided to count the number of houses that were still lit up outside with holiday lights, thinking I'd get no higher than 7 or 8.

My surprise, I  counted 24 houses.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2017, 12:03:40 pm »
I still have my Christmas village set up, No time or no energy to take it down and put it back in storage. I hope to do that this weekend at the latest.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2017, 03:32:38 pm »
One of my neighbors beat me to putting up St. Valentine's Day decor, their windows already have red lights and hearts in them,

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2017, 04:24:27 pm »
One of my neighbors beat me to putting up St. Valentine's Day decor, their windows already have red lights and hearts in them,

Just before New Year's I was in my local drug store, and I remarked to the clerk about them putting out the Valentine's Day items. She replied, "And Easter eggs."

Easter isn't until April this year!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2017, 07:15:36 pm »
I don't know why people don't decorate for the Lunar New Year. It starts on January 28 this year and will be the Year of the Rooster. Lots of decorating possibilities!

Offline brianr

« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2017, 07:30:12 pm »
We were discussing over coffee today how this decorating is an American thing. We decorate for Christmas  and possibly for birthdays when the children are young.  But I have never seen anyone decorate the rest of the year.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2017, 02:32:00 pm »
Despite being ill again on Sunday, on Monday I managed to get the Christmas Village structures packed up and returned to storage in the basement until next Christmas Season. I also put away the train that had served as the Christmas Express.

For now, I have left the "winter landscape" on the train table. I also continue to have man-made Poinsettias in my flower vases; they can stay for another month or so, as "winter flowers." Then I'll replace them with spring flowers.  :D

(I also began organizing my tax papers yesterday, but that doesn't have anything to do with holiday decorations.)

I don't know why people don't decorate for the Lunar New Year. It starts on January 28 this year and will be the Year of the Rooster. Lots of decorating possibilities!

I saw something on TV news last night about a company in China making inflatable roosters that look like Donald Trump. The one I saw looked like a great big chicken with a Donald Trump wig!  :laugh:

Do Asian people decorate their homes for the Lunar New Year? What sort of decorations do they use?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2017, 04:41:12 pm »

Do Asian people decorate their homes for the Lunar New Year? What sort of decorations do they use?
Oh yes, New Year is the time when Asian people clean their homes from top to bottom, sweep out all the dirt and ill will, pay all bills, and visit people they haven't seen in a while to make sure they haven't been neglecting anyone. They distribute tangerines and money in special red envelopes to children. There is a scroll of the Kitchen God that hangs in back of the oven. They take down the scroll and burn it so the Kitchen God can go report to heaven on all the good things the family did over the year. Then they put up a fresh new kitchen god. Calligraphy and paintings are hung wishing everybody a prosperous New Year. There are lions and dragons made of paper and red lanterns are used to decorate. There are a lot of traditions which you can google if you're interested.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2017, 04:48:24 pm »
Oh yes, New Year is the time when Asian people clean their homes from top to bottom, sweep out all the dirt and ill will, pay all bills, and visit people they haven't seen in a while to make sure they haven't been neglecting anyone. They distribute tangerines and money in special red envelopes to children. There is a scroll of the Kitchen God that hangs in back of the oven. They take down the scroll and burn it so the Kitchen God can go report to heaven on all the good things the family did over the year. Then they put up a fresh new kitchen god. Calligraphy and paintings are hung wishing everybody a prosperous New Year. There are lions and dragons made of paper and red lanterns are used to decorate. There are a lot of traditions which you can google if you're interested.

How interesting! Thanks, FRiend!  :D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2017, 05:00:59 pm »
I'm putting my Valentine's stuff up tonight.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2017, 01:34:29 am »
I'm putting my Valentine's stuff up tonight.

I put my Christmas stuff down two days ago :-*
Well, not everything. The tree is still up. :-X After getting everything else down and neatly packed I decided it was enough work for one Sunday. We'll see about the tree. :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2017, 10:17:07 am »
I put my Christmas stuff down two days ago :-*
Well, not everything. The tree is still up. :-X After getting everything else down and neatly packed I decided it was enough work for one Sunday. We'll see about the tree. :)

Putting Christmas stuff away always seems like so much more work than getting it out.  :(

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2017, 10:38:58 am »
Yeah, it does!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2017, 10:25:05 am »

Gong hey fat choy. :)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2017, 11:48:21 am »
Is it just me, or are more people decorating for Valentine's Day?

I've passed numerous houses with red lights around windows or doors.

quite a few have had shape outlines in windows.

Even inflatables are starting to show up on yards.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2017, 12:53:15 am »
We were discussing over coffee today how this decorating is an American thing. We decorate for Christmas  and possibly for birthdays when the children are young.  But I have never seen anyone decorate the rest of the year.

I decorate for holidays when it's darker  earlier.   I will put out lights (orange, green & purple) for Halloween, with a light up jack-o-lantern and bat.   For Thanksgiving, a set of orange lights goes up, with light up turkey forms.   Christmas gets multi-color 'twinkle' lights and a tree and wreath.  February gets a string of red lights, and heart forms in the windows.   St. Patrick's Day gets a strand of green  lights and shamrock forms.   Finally, Easter gets pink lights, and a set of egg forms.

At that point, it doesn't get dark until late at night, and I'm in bed by 10:00, so there's no point to put up lights, to only have to turn them off an hour or so  later, so no red, white and blue lights for Independence Day.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2017, 12:56:10 am »

and for those who are wondering, the turkey forms look  like this.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2017, 01:45:50 am »

I decorate for holidays when it's darker  earlier.   I will put out lights (orange, green & purple) for Halloween, with a light up jack-o-lantern and bat.   For Thanksgiving, a set of orange lights goes up, with light up turkey forms.   Christmas gets multi-color 'twinkle' lights and a tree and wreath.  February gets a string of red lights, and heart forms in the windows.   St. Patrick's Day gets a strand of green  lights and shamrock forms.   Finally, Easter gets pink lights, and a set of egg forms.

At that point, it doesn't get dark until late at night, and I'm in bed by 10:00, so there's no point to put up lights, to only have to turn them off an hour or so  later, so no red, white and blue lights for Independence Day.

I still can't get over how big Halloween has gotten for decorating. I remember when it was cardboard cut-outs and a jack-o-lantern. We never decorated for Valentine's Day or St. Patrick's Day or Easter, except for spring flowers set around the house and taken to my grandparents. As a kid of course I got an Easter basket, but Easter was always primarily a religious thing, not a reason for decorating.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2017, 05:46:44 pm »
Mom was a big decorator in our house, when it came to the holidays.   She still is. 

We always big red hearts and cupids on the windows and doors for Valentine's Day,  big green shamrocks on the windows and doors for St. Patrick's Day,  eggs and bunnies for Easter,  turkeys, pilgrims and cornucopias for Thanksgiving.

Here is what I remember for October and Halloween.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2017, 05:54:45 pm »
We also had what I called "popcorn" decorations.

different colored pieces of plastic put together into holiday images.

Here is Halloween.

Thanksgiving

And Christmas.  (and no, I don't know why there is a jack-o-lantern in that pic)

Oh, they had Valentine's Day too.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2018, 09:05:14 pm »
As of Thursday (January 4th) my apartment has been "de-Christmased". 

Tree is down, ornaments packed away, flag and lights are boxed up.

The windows will unadorned until the last week of January,  when I put up the Valentine's Day flag and lights.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2018, 05:30:12 pm »
My mother always made Christmas go away on New Year's Day. I did her one better this year; I made Christmas go away today.

Or almost all of it anyway. ...

When I was a very small boy, my grandmother had one of those 1950's aluminum trees, the one with which you used a "color wheel" because you couldn't put lights on them. That tree horrified me. I mean, a Christmas tree without lights? WTF?  :-\ (Well, I wouldn't have said that in 1963.  ;D ) I suspect I would have a greater appreciation for that tree now, but, anyway, a few years ago I discovered that the Vermont Country Store catalog had "tinsel trees" that actually had lights on them. I bought the 24-inch version. I've been using that tree ever since. It's the perfect size for my condo. This year I have a gold star on the top (too big for the tree, actually, but I don't care) and smallish red balls on the branches (I'm partial to red and gold Christmas ornaments, especially on a green tree).

I'm finding this tree so cheerful that I'm going to leave it up at least until Epiphany (this coming Sunday), and I might leave it up even longer. We have a very long Epiphanytide this year. Ash Wednesday isn't until March 6, and I'm guessing Easter is as late as it can possibly be, April 21. I won't leave the tree up that long, but maybe I will until the days are noticeably longer, until it's still light when I get home from work; that's roughly February 10.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #126 on: January 01, 2019, 06:15:10 pm »
Hiya Jeff!

I was like you this year.  I had no plans for NYE, so I went home, made myself some dinner, and after relaxing a bit, I took down and packed away all of my Christmas stuff.   By 1:00am it was all boxed up and put into the closet for another year.

;D

I took it a step further today, I went through cabinets and my utility closet and found stuff I wasn't using and decided the stuff was no longer needed, so I ditched it, so I have slightly less clutter for 2019.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2019, 04:55:21 pm »
With some regrets I took down my little Christmas tree today and stowed it away in my storage cubicle in the basement until next Christmas season.

I had a slightly larger tree stored in the basement. I was sure I was never going to use it again, but I hated to put it out for the trash because it was in very good condition. Fortunately, our Front Desk attendant said he could use it, so I found the tree a new home. I feel glad about that.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2019, 06:05:18 pm »
Well, that's good, finding the tree a new home.

When I was driving to my parents' place to do my laundry, I saw a few people out on their lawns, taking down the holiday stuff.

Offline brianr

« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2019, 07:15:01 pm »
I took mine down yesterday (Sunday 6th - Epiphany). Putting the 4 ornaments away in the cupboard took less than 5 minutes, removing the Christmas plastic table cloth as well as the wreath from the dining table and folding it took a bit longer.  I ate my Christmas lunch there, it had not been used for a meal since I had a visitor staying in November 2017. My sister will be visiting in March so guess we will use it again then. I have used it for morning tea with guests.
Putting the cards away took longer as I had to reread the letters people had included. I wrote an email to one and have some others sitting beside the computer waiting for me to have the necessary inspiration.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2019, 12:57:20 pm »
I agree, Epiphany is a good time to take it down. In fact, I leave some decor that is more wintery than Christmasy out all month.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2019, 02:20:46 pm »
I agree, Epiphany is a good time to take it down. In fact, I leave some decor that is more wintery than Christmasy out all month.

I thought about doing that, except with the tree instead.

My Christmas train layout has an enormous Christmas tree in the center of town. I've been thinking of changing the layout to something more generic/not Christmas, but I thought yesterday that perhaps I'll just remove the tree and keep the layout "winter" for a bit longer.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2019, 02:22:48 pm »
Well, that's good, finding the tree a new home.

I hate throwing away things that are perfectly good, just no longer of use to me. The tree was taking up valuable space (not "earning its keep") in storage, so it was time for it to go.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2019, 07:13:08 pm »
I'm sure that the new owner will appreciate it.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2019, 03:02:17 am »

Around here, Epiphany is the traditional day to take down Christmas decorations, as it marks the end of Christmas. But I don't care; my tree, window lights and everything else will stay for another few weeks, probably end of January. I'm a card carrying member of the dead-wreath-society ;D :laugh:

Offline brianr

« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2019, 01:30:39 pm »
My mother and you would not have got on. ;D  Every year she wanted me to take my decorations down on New Year's Day and I insisted on waiting until Epiphany.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2019, 07:44:58 pm »
My Christmas model train layout, which is still up.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2019, 07:50:02 pm »
But I don't care; my tree, window lights and everything else will stay for another few weeks, probably end of January. I'm a card carrying member of the dead-wreath-society ;D :laugh:

:laugh:

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2019, 04:39:21 am »
My Christmas model train layout, which is still up.

It's beautiful, love the Christmas tree in the middle!
And there's a truck just like Ennis' to its left! :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2019, 10:02:46 am »
It's beautiful, love the Christmas tree in the middle!

Thank you. I'm glad you like it.  :)

;D That's exactly why I bought that truck right away when I found it.  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2019, 12:52:56 pm »
How enchanting!!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2019, 08:14:05 pm »
I posted here before, and I thought I commented on the pic, but didn't!

Sorry about that!  I meant to!  LOL

Good set up, and I can understand why you still have it up.  I would keep the tree in the center up, no matter that Christmas is over.  I looks good that way.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2019, 02:12:03 pm »

Still gives us a kick, doesn't it. Even after all these years. :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2019, 04:58:36 pm »

Still gives us a kick, doesn't it. Even after all these years. :)

The time of our lives goes by so quickly, doesn't it? I've had that truck for at least ten years, now, but I bought it when I did because it resembles Ennis' pickup.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2019, 03:36:11 pm »
Last year,  I took down all my Christmas stuff on New Year's Eve.  I was just tired of it all by then, and had nowhere to go, so I spent NYE doing that.

Right now, I'm still enjoying my decorations and tree, so I'm keeping them up this year.  Since New Year's Day falls on Wednesday, I'll keep it up and lit through Friday.  I'll spend Saturday taking it down and packing it away.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #145 on: December 31, 2020, 05:24:18 pm »

I've decided to 'undecorate' in stages this year.

Today I took all the tinsel off the tree, but still have it up  with lights and ornaments.

Tomorrow, if the mood hits, I'll pack up the ornaments and tree, but I'll leave the lights on the windows, and the other decorations up around the apartment.

Saturday I'll pack up the decorations I have on table tops and counter tops, and then the last thing will be the lights.  Maybe those on Sunday.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #146 on: December 31, 2020, 05:58:33 pm »
Here in Denver, we're supposed to keep our lights on until the Stock Show (rodeo) in mid-January. But no Stock Show this year. So, we've been advised to keep the lights up until late January.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #147 on: January 01, 2021, 09:39:26 am »
You Americans, always so early. Both with putting your decorations up and taking them down.

January 6th = Epiphany is the day that ends Christmas season. No taking down anything before that. As for me, I start undecorating the weekend after Epiphany, but drag it out and keep the window lights as long as possible, mostly end of January.

Offline brianr

« Reply #148 on: January 01, 2021, 02:28:36 pm »
You Americans, always so early. Both with putting your decorations up and taking them down.

January 6th = Epiphany is the day that ends Christmas season. No taking down anything before that. As for me, I start undecorating the weekend after Epiphany, but drag it out and keep the window lights as long as possible, mostly end of January.
LOL
Strongly agree. I only put them up (however it takes less than 10 minutes) the weekend before Christmas and would never think of taking them down until Epiphany.
Mostly I like having my cards displayed. However they are getting fewer and fewer each year. This year I sent 15. ( I sent over 20 emails). I had received 5 cards by Christmas day and 2 of those were from people (in USA) that I only sent email this year. 3 have told me they are not sending this year (2 due to family deaths this year). I received another 3 last Wednesday so have 8 displayed. We only have 3 mails per week (for me Mon-Wed-Fri) and Mon and Fri were holidays last week and Mon will be this week so next mail is Wed again. My sister posted her card to me on December 7 and is disappointed it has not yet arrived. I sent all mine also on Dec 7 and she received it on Christmas Eve and I know a few others (all in Australia) received the same day.
Snail mail and cards are disappearing fast but you cannot display emails.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #149 on: January 01, 2021, 08:20:51 pm »

LOLStrongly agree. I only put them up (however it takes less than 10 minutes) the weekend before Christmas and would never think of taking them down until Epiphany.  Mostly I like having my cards displayed. However they are getting fewer and fewer each year. This year I sent 15. ( I sent over 20 emails). I had received 5 cards by Christmas day and 2 of those were from people (in USA) that I only sent email this year. 3 have told me they are not sending this year (2 due to family deaths this year). I received another 3 last Wednesday so have 8 displayed. We only have 3 mails per week (for me Mon-Wed-Fri) and Mon and Fri were holidays last week and Mon will be this week so next mail is Wed again. My sister posted her card to me on December 7 and is disappointed it has not yet arrived. I sent all mine also on Dec 7 and she received it on Christmas Eve and I know a few others (all in Australia) received the same day.
Snail mail and cards are disappearing fast but you cannot display emails.

Some people seem to start putting them up here before Thanksgiving.  I refuse to do that.  I want to acknowledge and celebrate Thanksgiving, so I refuse to do anything Christmas related until it passes.

As for taking it down, I do usually leave it up later than I did this year, but with NYD falling on Friday, and giving us a three-day weekend, I opted to use the extra day off to get it done.

I also think I'm Christmased out this year.  Normally I feel like I didn't do a lot of Christmas related stuff.  This year, however, I did.  I decorated the day after Thanksgiving, then that weekend did a drive through Christmas light event, and then because I worked from home, I saw a ton of the Hallmark Christmas movies, plus the usual shopping and wrapping and Christmas music.

I think I was ready for a break.

I have changed my mind about the lights in the windows.  I think I'll keep them up until maybe Wednesday of next week, which would be the 6th.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #150 on: January 02, 2021, 08:10:09 am »
Some people seem to start putting them up here before Thanksgiving.  I refuse to do that.  I want to acknowledge and celebrate Thanksgiving, so I refuse to do anything Christmas related until it passes.

We don't have Thanksgiving, but I'm totally with you re acknowledging it properly.
Even after Thanksgiving would be too early over here. We start with an Advent wreath on the first Sunday of Advent of course, but other than that, no Christmas decoration. No, not totally true: Advent calendars for the children from Dec 1st thru Dec 24th are hanging on the walls.

Most people start decorating for Christmas around 3rd Advent, roundabout one or two weeks before Christmas.
I take out my Christmas dinnerware as soon as Advent starts however. It's so beautiful (IMO) and I have only a couple of weeks each year to use it. :laugh:

The tree is something else entirely. Traditionally, it is only put up on Dec 24th by the parents, the gifts put under it and then the room gets locked. On Christmas Eve, after church and a festive (long) dinner, the children see the decorated tree for the first time.
But we usually put the tree up one week before Christmas Eve.

I also think I'm Christmased out this year.  Normally I feel like I didn't do a lot of Christmas related stuff.  This year, however, I did.  I decorated the day after Thanksgiving, then that weekend did a drive through Christmas light event, and then because I worked from home, I saw a ton of the Hallmark Christmas movies, plus the usual shopping and wrapping and Christmas music.

I think I was ready for a break.

;D :laugh: