Author Topic: When is it too late to still have Holiday decorations up?  (Read 116825 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: When is it too late to still have Holiday decorations up?
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 03:51:54 pm »
Hi Buds,

I added dates for the events listed above (for 2008) and I've added an "other" option for those of you who have other traditions and deadlines you like to follow.

I've made it so that you can change your vote following these changes to the original poll if you'd like.

cheers!
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Scott6373

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 03:53:19 pm »
I don't decorate so, if I never saw those frikkin' twinkle lights it wouldn't bother me.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 06:23:43 pm »
A private joke of mine...I initiate people into the "Dead Wreath Society." Those are folks who still have their wreaths (or other) decorations up after Valentine's Day.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 01:54:33 am »
Well, anything 'Christmas-sy' should really be taken down outside by Epiphany. Wreaths, bows, etc. I have no objection to leaving outside lights up though. Inside Yeah, I like to leave the tree up. It's just so pretty.

My mother starts decorating in October and takes her window down after the Feast of the Epiphany. The lights are off on that day. They get removed soon after. She doesn't finish putting things away until February at the earliest because she has so much decorated and it takes time to put it all away.  I think she would leave the big tree up longer, but once you start putting things away, there is no point. It's a real clutter.

I drove my wife crazy with the tree last year. It was decorated, undecorated, redecorated, undecorated and then decorated again. It's a 9 foot tree, too!

I couldn't get it to look right. The tree must be perfect. That is my mother coming out roflmao.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 02:00:27 am »
I couldn't get it to look right. The tree must be perfect. That is my mother coming out roflmao.

"All men become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No woman ever does. That is hers."

The Importance of Being Earnest
Oscar Wilde
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 11:59:17 am »
A private joke of mine...I initiate people into the "Dead Wreath Society." Those are folks who still have their wreaths (or other) decorations up after Valentine's Day.

L

So I'm a member of the club  ;D.

The wreath on the front door is still there... from last year  . I won't take it down now.

Did you speak a silent spell (or blessing) on my wreath when you were here in March?  :laugh: ;)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 07:16:44 pm »
I don't decorate so, if I never saw those frikkin' twinkle lights it wouldn't bother me.

Oh sweetie I am so sorry you feel that way...its terrible to be so depressed about something

when others are so giddy...I feel rather like that this year, not because I dont like Christmas, but because

I dont have the strength to put it all up like I used to..  oh well life goes on.

Beautiful mind

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 09:27:41 am »
So I'm a member of the club  ;D.

Did you speak a silent spell (or blessing) on my wreath when you were here in March?  :laugh: ;)

I said a blessing, of course! For health, happiness, good wishes and coming to visit ME sometime...and look, the last part is coming true, along with everything else!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 09:32:52 am »
I am one to talk about the Dead Wreath Society...

A few years ago, we got new storm doors...the kind that have one large pane of glass and you can switch it out to be a screen in the summer. I should also point out we have 3 "front" doors on our house. In this picture you can see two of the three doors:

Anyway, we bought 3 wreaths, as usual. My husband hung them on the front door, also as usual, but this time they were behind the glass (which we never had before). Of course, it was like an oven and the wreaths instantly baked and turned brown...within a matter of days. I was so annoyed, we just left them up. So we had dead brown wreaths for the entire month of December.

L

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 01:35:52 pm »
You all leave decorations up at least through Epiphany?  Man, I'm relieved and impressed with all your good taste.  (Not that I should be surprised!)

I freaking hate it when folks throw their tree out by the roadside on the 26th.  (Aligning their Christmas with the shopping calendar instead of the liturgical one.)  Tacky as hell!