Author Topic: When is it too late to still have Holiday decorations up?  (Read 116829 times)

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: When is it too late to still have Holiday decorations up?
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2019, 12:52:56 pm »
How enchanting!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2019, 08:14:05 pm »
I posted here before, and I thought I commented on the pic, but didn't!

Sorry about that!  I meant to!  LOL

Good set up, and I can understand why you still have it up.  I would keep the tree in the center up, no matter that Christmas is over.  I looks good that way.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2019, 02:12:03 pm »
;D That's exactly why I bought that truck right away when I found it.  ;D

Still gives us a kick, doesn't it. Even after all these years. :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2019, 04:58:36 pm »
And there's a truck just like Ennis' to its left! :)

;D That's exactly why I bought that truck right away when I found it.  ;D

Still gives us a kick, doesn't it. Even after all these years. :)

The time of our lives goes by so quickly, doesn't it? I've had that truck for at least ten years, now, but I bought it when I did because it resembles Ennis' pickup.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2019, 03:36:11 pm »
Last year,  I took down all my Christmas stuff on New Year's Eve.  I was just tired of it all by then, and had nowhere to go, so I spent NYE doing that.

Right now, I'm still enjoying my decorations and tree, so I'm keeping them up this year.  Since New Year's Day falls on Wednesday, I'll keep it up and lit through Friday.  I'll spend Saturday taking it down and packing it away.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #145 on: December 31, 2020, 05:24:18 pm »

I've decided to 'undecorate' in stages this year.

Today I took all the tinsel off the tree, but still have it up  with lights and ornaments.

Tomorrow, if the mood hits, I'll pack up the ornaments and tree, but I'll leave the lights on the windows, and the other decorations up around the apartment.

Saturday I'll pack up the decorations I have on table tops and counter tops, and then the last thing will be the lights.  Maybe those on Sunday.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #146 on: December 31, 2020, 05:58:33 pm »
Here in Denver, we're supposed to keep our lights on until the Stock Show (rodeo) in mid-January. But no Stock Show this year. So, we've been advised to keep the lights up until late January.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #147 on: January 01, 2021, 09:39:26 am »
You Americans, always so early. Both with putting your decorations up and taking them down.

January 6th = Epiphany is the day that ends Christmas season. No taking down anything before that. As for me, I start undecorating the weekend after Epiphany, but drag it out and keep the window lights as long as possible, mostly end of January.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #148 on: January 01, 2021, 02:28:36 pm »
You Americans, always so early. Both with putting your decorations up and taking them down.

January 6th = Epiphany is the day that ends Christmas season. No taking down anything before that. As for me, I start undecorating the weekend after Epiphany, but drag it out and keep the window lights as long as possible, mostly end of January.
LOL
Strongly agree. I only put them up (however it takes less than 10 minutes) the weekend before Christmas and would never think of taking them down until Epiphany.
Mostly I like having my cards displayed. However they are getting fewer and fewer each year. This year I sent 15. ( I sent over 20 emails). I had received 5 cards by Christmas day and 2 of those were from people (in USA) that I only sent email this year. 3 have told me they are not sending this year (2 due to family deaths this year). I received another 3 last Wednesday so have 8 displayed. We only have 3 mails per week (for me Mon-Wed-Fri) and Mon and Fri were holidays last week and Mon will be this week so next mail is Wed again. My sister posted her card to me on December 7 and is disappointed it has not yet arrived. I sent all mine also on Dec 7 and she received it on Christmas Eve and I know a few others (all in Australia) received the same day.
Snail mail and cards are disappearing fast but you cannot display emails.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #149 on: January 01, 2021, 08:20:51 pm »

LOLStrongly agree. I only put them up (however it takes less than 10 minutes) the weekend before Christmas and would never think of taking them down until Epiphany.  Mostly I like having my cards displayed. However they are getting fewer and fewer each year. This year I sent 15. ( I sent over 20 emails). I had received 5 cards by Christmas day and 2 of those were from people (in USA) that I only sent email this year. 3 have told me they are not sending this year (2 due to family deaths this year). I received another 3 last Wednesday so have 8 displayed. We only have 3 mails per week (for me Mon-Wed-Fri) and Mon and Fri were holidays last week and Mon will be this week so next mail is Wed again. My sister posted her card to me on December 7 and is disappointed it has not yet arrived. I sent all mine also on Dec 7 and she received it on Christmas Eve and I know a few others (all in Australia) received the same day.
Snail mail and cards are disappearing fast but you cannot display emails.

Some people seem to start putting them up here before Thanksgiving.  I refuse to do that.  I want to acknowledge and celebrate Thanksgiving, so I refuse to do anything Christmas related until it passes.

As for taking it down, I do usually leave it up later than I did this year, but with NYD falling on Friday, and giving us a three-day weekend, I opted to use the extra day off to get it done.

I also think I'm Christmased out this year.  Normally I feel like I didn't do a lot of Christmas related stuff.  This year, however, I did.  I decorated the day after Thanksgiving, then that weekend did a drive through Christmas light event, and then because I worked from home, I saw a ton of the Hallmark Christmas movies, plus the usual shopping and wrapping and Christmas music.

I think I was ready for a break.

I have changed my mind about the lights in the windows.  I think I'll keep them up until maybe Wednesday of next week, which would be the 6th.