Author Topic: tent scene, in the short story.  (Read 12303 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: tent scene, in the short story.
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2006, 08:33:15 am »
He also suffers from heterosexism in the belief that he has to have sex with women to be a real man. That kind of suffering is actually internalized heterophobia, which is literally, the "fear of being different," or the fear of not being thought of as a real man

I agree. That's practically the reason why he decides to have a relationship with Cassie. Ennis was not only feeling lonely, he was also scared to death, and was beginning to actually picture himself as different for the first time. I think that was fueled by Alma's confrontation during the Thanksgiving dinner, when she tells him she knows about Jack and him.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2006, 10:29:13 am »
IMO, the scene is too abrupt and knowing the personality of Ennis and how he would have reacted if Jack had suddenly forced Ennis to touch his penis, I just believe that Ennis Del Mar would have given Jack Twist an attitude adjustment first, by slugging him, and then ask questions later.

Anyone who would say "I'm not no queer" and literally believed that to be true about himself and be an Ennis type, too, would not have let another man even touch him if sex was going to be involved.

Well, the scene worked brilliantly for me. I believe Ennis wanted Jack; he immensely enjoyed Jack’s company, was secretly attracted to him (perhaps on a sub-conscious level?), and lusted for him. I think a lot of the subtleties preceding the consummation of their relationship build up to the scene.

See I think Ennis wanted to believe he was straight but on the inside, he knew. He just could not come to terms with his sexual orientation.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2006, 10:35:12 am »
Well, the scene worked brilliantly for me. I believe Ennis wanted Jack; he immensely enjoyed Jack’s company, was secretly attracted to him (perhaps on a sub-conscious level?), and lusted for him. I think a lot of the subtleties preceding the consummation of their relationship build up to the scene.

See I think Ennis wanted to believe he was straight but on the inside, he knew. He just could not come to terms with his sexual orientation.

Stitchbuffyfan, that is exactly how I read it. I think Ennis was mostly taken by surprise by Jack's move, but he was at least partly aware that he was attracted to Jack. In those moments after they sit up in the tent, Ennis sees what's going on, weighs his options, and decides to set aside his reservations and go for it.