Author Topic: TOTW 15/07: Short story or movie, which one do you prefer?  (Read 39465 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: TOTW 15/07: Short story or movie, which one do you prefer?
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 11:08:13 am »
I read the short story a few years before the release of the movie. The stark, terse honest prose that AP uses in "Brokeback Mountain" reminds me of the windswept Northern Rockies and the people I have met while visiting there. I can't get away from that short story. I can't get away from any of AP's works of fiction. They haunt me.
I was more directly and strongly affected by the movie than the short story. Ang Lee's movie has changed and challenged me more than any other movie I have ever seen. But, I think over the years, it is the short story I will return to more often, when I want to remember.

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 12:42:41 pm »
Jack, where is your story located? I would love to read it. As much as it seems we talked at the BBQ and in email since I never knew you wrote. I actually do too and I have all my life. I used to want to be a writer, but for some reason it seems that my writing has gone downhill  :( That is really something that Annie has looked at your work. Now that is a privilege to say the least.

Anyway, back to the topic  :D I had no idea that Annie continued to tinker with the Brokeback story. I will have to contact Rodney to find where I can find those different versions. It would be GREAT to read her Ennis story; however, I bet it is under major lock and key somewhere. It sure would answer a lot of our questions as to what she envisions happening to Ennis. But then of course, do we really want to know  :-\ I also look forward to the second story.

Also, even though I chose the movie, I definitely do not want anyone to think that I do not highly value the book. It is EXCELLENT. Like I say and you say, I still am very glad I saw the movie first.

And have I told you Jack, how glad I am that you are here at Bettermost  ;D I think so, but it is worth repeating.

Jack

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 12:48:39 pm »
This whole experence is a duality to me. I cannot pick between Jake or heath who I like better, and I like both the movie and short story for different reasons.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 10:07:03 pm »
yikes

thou hast misunderstood, I am not kissy-kissy with AP

lol
lol
lol
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 10:42:35 pm »
 ;D

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 01:13:33 pm »
I saw the movie before I read the story, and that might have influenced my "like the movie best" vote. But frankly, while I thought the story was wonderful, it just didn't haunt me the way the movie did, nor did I feel compelled to read it over and over, although I have read it several times. And I doubt very seriously that this and other Brokeback-themed forums would exist if the short story had never been made into film.

But, of course, the film would not exist without the story.

Offline Oregondoggie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 02:31:36 pm »
Book or Movie?  It's like choosing Jack or Ennis.  Got run over by both of 'em.  Maybe book more because I had had dreams of my own Ennis for years... book sure stoked my memories of him. 

Then along came the movie, the fire storm that brought regrowth through the forums and new friends.

But once in a while, I like to hole up with the short story on the Oregon Coast and let the wind read the lines.   

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2007, 12:37:23 am »
I like them both equally.   Both touched my soul in no way any other story or movie has.

Offline huntinbuddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 10:34:58 pm »
I seen the film first and then read the short story.  Both are excellent.  Ang Lee's direction and the cinematography he used is astounding.  About the only thing that comes close is Gone With the Wind.  However, Margret Mitchell's book was a huge thing that takes days to read, yet Annie Proulx told a similar sweeping epic and it can be read in an hour!  Her writing is like a Mozart opera; take one phrase out and it will be greatly diminished.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 10:50:07 pm »
I seen the film first and then read the short story.  Both are excellent.   Her writing is like a Mozart opera; take one phrase out and it will be greatly diminished.

Excellent point about the economy of words AP uses! And your comment about Mozart reminded me of a scene in "Amadeus" when Mozart is interviewed by the Emperor Joseph and his toadies. Joseph remarks to Mozart that his Opera has "too many notes". Mozart responds, "which would you remove your majesty?" LOL!