Author Topic: V for Vendetta  (Read 10857 times)

Offline jura86

• Jr. Ranch Hand
V for Vendetta
« on: May 14, 2006, 07:01:14 pm »
I brought this up on the imdb Tremblay board, so sorry in advance for bringing it up again (also - hope there isn't already a thread on this, I haven't been on Bettermost for a while) - just wondering if people had similar reactions to this film as they did to BBM?

I'm watching it again for the second time, and I have to say the Valerie subplot has me blubbering almost as much as BBM does! So heartbreaking!... I know a lot of people who don't like this film at all though.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
Re: V for Vendetta
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 12:29:22 am »
I just got around to seeing this movie last week, and it really got to me emotionally.  The inspiration was different in that it made me want to stand my ground as a human being.

Brokeback Mountain broke my heart, and made me want to be in love again.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 02:07:19 am »
I remember rtprod's thread about V for Vendetta's Valerie over at IMdB, and yes indeed, the subplot - along with the rest of the film - is spectacular. I've seen it twice too and I can't wait for it to come out on DVD. My sig is such a heartbreakingly beautiful phrase from the film. I recommend that everyone see the movie, now!!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 02:13:09 am by dmmb_Mandy »

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 02:36:27 am »
There might be a thread in the Safe Haven section about V for Vendetta already, but I was so surprised by the character of Valerie and overall how queer-friendly the story is.  That it includes gay people so specifically as affected by governmental oppression, and that Valerie, and the producer character (I forget his name right now).

I haven't read the graphic novel it's based on, so I don't know how much was adapted or how much was added.  One of the Wachowski brothers is transgender, but since he doesn't talk about it in print, I don't know how much that influenced the inclusion.  Definitely looking forward to the DVD as well....

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 03:40:57 am »
One of the Wachowski brothers is transgender, but since he doesn't talk about it in print, I don't know how much that influenced the inclusion. 

i never knew this. is he mtf or ftm?

about V, there were some things I liked and some things I didn't like. The Valerie sequence was the highlight of the film. I did like that it was the what gave Evie the strength to find self-actualization. It was beautifully shot, and the juxtaposition between the golden glow of Valerie's story and Evie's dark tortures was gorgeously done. The thing I didn't like was that I couldn't reconcile V's tactic. His "I tortured you because I knew it'd be good for you" is just too close to GW taking away our civil rights because "he knows what good for us".
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 03:50:15 am by starboardlight »
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 03:44:35 am »
MTF from what I've read.  I'll try to find a good article on it, I've come across a couple.

Juan

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 03:49:11 am »
MTF from what I've read.  I'll try to find a good article on it, I've come across a couple.

Juan

ah, so they wouldn't be brothers anymore.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 03:55:42 am »
Yeah, that could be at some point.  I'm not sure where he's at with it, or if he's even switched to a feminine gender.  J

Offline jura86

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 08:29:32 am »
SPOILERS
about V, there were some things I liked and some things I didn't like. The thing I didn't like was that I couldn't reconcile V's tactic. His "I tortured you because I knew it'd be good for you" is just too close to GW taking away our civil rights because "he knows what good for us".

That's a good point, but I don't think V was supposed to be a conventionally sympathetic protagonist that the audience rooted for - he's a complex character, and what I liked about the film is that it is never clear whether he is really a hero or a villain. V even says at one point in the film "What they did to me was monstrous" and Evey replies "Then they created a monster". I think that's kinda true. The fact that he tortured Evey is definitely evidence of his monstrous side.

rtprod

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 11:42:22 am »
I remember rtprod's thread about V for Vendetta's Valerie over at IMdB, and yes indeed, the subplot - along with the rest of the film - is spectacular. I've seen it twice too and I can't wait for it to come out on DVD. My sig is such a heartbreakingly beautiful phrase from the film. I recommend that everyone see the movie, now!!  ;D

I saw this film three times -- the final in IMAX -- and it knocked me out.  It succeeds on all levels and is far too intelligent to be shrink-wrapped into a Hollywood blockbuster package. 

Mandy's sig is the film's best line and scene, closely followed by:

"Behind this mask is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof." 

When Valerie appears in the crowd at the end of the film I got choked up.  A very memorable film, from Valerie's story to the "domino effect" sequence to the destruction of Parliament.  I also particularly liked Sinead Cusack's death, how calm and rational she was and the elegant chill of V's response to her question:

"You're going to kill me now, aren't you?"

"I already did--ten minutes ago, while you were sleeping." 

rt

« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 11:52:10 am by rtprod »