Author Topic: The "I LOVE everything Lureen" thread  (Read 7330 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
The "I LOVE everything Lureen" thread
« on: April 22, 2006, 10:23:58 pm »
Lureen is highly underrated.

I love the bold way Lureen goes right after what she wants -- not unlike Jack in that respect.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 09:47:48 pm by Roland »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
We luv everything Lureen!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 10:58:43 pm »
I love Lureen's confidence and zest for life when she meets Jack!

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 01:18:47 pm »
I loved the little smirk on Lureen's face after Jack layed into her father. Priceless.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 12:57:32 am »
I love the way Lureen's emotional evolution is reflected in her physical appearance -- specifically her hair, teeth, nails, clothing.

Nobody else in the movie does that (Ennis stays as hot as ever only older, Jack changes physically but not in emotionally significant ways, Alma hardly changes at all). But in real life, people sometimes DO show on the outside what's going on inside. Good for Lureen!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 02:38:26 pm by latjoreme »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 10:48:14 am »
Actually, I would beg to differ in your take that Ennis and Jack don't show what's going on on the inside on the outside.  If you watch Jack's eyes throughout the movie like I do ;), you can see the life slowly draining out of them.  I have to say I didn't notice it until I viewed Brandon's brilliant montage a few months back that showed in succession all the times Ennis pushes Jack away.  By the end, Jack's eyes are nearly dead.  Even when he's having a laugh with Ennis, there's barely a spark left in them.  And Ennis retreats further and further into himself so that by the end, he's reduced to a hunched-over, foot-shuffling (he can't even lift them in his trailer) shell of a man.  All the spark that was there on the mountain and during the reunion is gone from him, too.

You're right, Barb. I was referring to Lureen's hair color, teeth, etc. Ennis' and Jack's emotional changes are reflected physically, too, absolutely. But they're more as a result of acting than anything provided by makeup or wardrobe. I should have clarified.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 12:10:37 pm »
I love Lureen's dazzling smile! 

She flashes Jack a deadly smile when he returned her hat when they first met.  Sorta like: ;D (except hers was much prettier ;) ).

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 10:10:02 pm »
I love the whole phone call scene with Lureen. So much emotion - or lack thereof - she's trying to hold back but can't completely. It all spills out between the lines. I love how hard she tries - the hair, the makeup, the clothes,..etc - she's trying to reach some ideal, but she can't quite get there. It must have been hard for her, with Jack. I sympathize, I really do.

PS - why are these "I love everything..." threads in the "Games" section? Did I miss something? But it's cool, they're fun, I was just wondering..

:-* to everyone

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 10:18:35 pm »
PS - why are these "I love everything..." threads in the "Games" section? Did I miss something? But it's cool, they're fun, I was just wondering..
They have found a home here in "The Lighter Side of the Mountain" so that it could be more easily found by those who wish to participate

- thanks for asking ;)

Roland
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 06:52:23 pm »
I love Lureen because she has a one of the few lines that I recognized, on my first time watching, as having more than one meaning. And that led me to start wondering how many other things in the movie were like that. Little did I know that within three months I'd be discussing the meaning of a bucket!!! But thanks in part to Lureen, I got that early tipoff.

The line, of course, is "Isn't it funny how husbands neeeevver seem to wannna dance with their wahves."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 11:49:31 pm »
I love Lureen for telling Ennis that Brokeback was Jack's "favorite place."  Perhaps unwittingly, it was an extremely kind thing to let Ennis know (even if it's heartbreaking to her). 

I love Lureen for her look of commiseration towards Jack while he's standing in the door watching Lureen introduce infant-Bobby to L.D. and her Mom.  You can tell that the mutual irritation towards L.D. might be something Lureen and Jack truly bonded over (backseat of the car moment, Thanksgiving, etc.).
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie