Author Topic: Anybody seeing 'No Country For Old Men' ?  (Read 9126 times)

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Anybody seeing 'No Country For Old Men' ?
« on: November 15, 2007, 11:56:01 pm »
I know it will be bleak. Very very bleak. And violent.   It is based on a novel by Cormac McCarthy which I have not yet read, but having read The Road, I think I know what we're in for.    It's also directed by the Coen Brothers. 
But there's Javier Bardem and Tommy Lee Jones and more.    Should be good.  Are you up for it?
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Anybody seeing 'No Country For Old Men' ?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 12:32:01 am »
I'd like to see it, but I will probably wait and rent it. It sounds like it's pretty intense.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 12:40:00 am »
Read abit about the film on IMDB and I am going to check it out when it opens here.  Don't know when that'll be though.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 12:42:30 am »
As I stated in this post,  Oh hell yeah!  :D  :D  :D

I'll either see it tomorrow night or sometime this weekend.  Been waitin' fer this one.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBqmKSAHc6w[/youtube]

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 12:44:02 am »
There are so many Coen Brothers movies that I really love... including Raising Arizona and Fargo at the top of my list for their films.  I even quite liked Barton Fink.

But, then there are some that I really don't like so much... like The Big Lebowski, for example.

I don't know... somehow I'm skeptical about this one based on the previews.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 12:57:27 am »
There are so many Coen Brothers movies that I really love... including Raising Arizona and Fargo at the top of my list for their films.  I even quite liked Barton Fink.

But, then there are some that I really don't like so much... like The Big Lebowski, for example.

"Raising Arizona" makes me laugh so hard! The babies are great. Crying Ed / Angry Ed-- hilarious. The jailbird brothers -- lol. I love that movie.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 12:58:38 am »

My hubby really wants to see this movie...I have a problem with these kinds of manipulative killer types.
I have trouble with watching them in a movie..But I will go and see it for his benefit...I love tommy Lee Jones.
But the subject matter is a bit out of my comfort zone.   I guess i am a bit of a wooss when it comes to
violence.  its odd that I watched Rendition, and Jesse James, and had no problems,,but I am just getting
odd vibes about this one..
      Please report back, and let me know how it was...may take going easier... :-\

Beautiful mind

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 01:36:54 am »

This movie will probably be brilliant, but the subject matter is not my cup of tea.  I'll pass, though I thought Fargo was excellent, Raising Arizona was very funny and I laughed so hard during The Big Lebowski I actually made no sound, I thought it so hysterical.

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 07:05:33 am »
I saw the previews for this when I went to see Lust,Caution over last weekend. I'm going to see it, definitely, but it hasn't gotten here yet. It doesn't strike me, from what I saw on the screen, as a blood and guts type of movie, or I wouldn't be interested. The way this guy is killing people seems to be very calm and quiet, for the most part. Maybe I'm way off base here, because I'm basing this on the preview, but it seems that the tension takes higher precedence than the blood.

It's got to be better than Lust, Caution!

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 08:29:56 pm »
Thank you for the trailer, sfericsf.   Looks great!   

I know it will be hard to watch and I might have to close my eyes now and then.   I will still do it though.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 08:45:01 pm »
I didn't make it this weekend, but I'm gonna go tomorrow night after work...

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 12:30:46 am »
Uh-oh.  :(

I think I went into this with way too high expectations and was let down.  I was hopin' for more of a "Three Burials..." type a movie.  While it strived for that, it wasn't it.  "It did not live up to it's hype" for me.  :D  And of course lotsa folks said that about BBM.  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I don't dare divuldge any details.  But it certainly goes where you do not expect it to go.  What's wierd about it is it's certainly suspensful and tense, and then it becomes very preachy at the end.  I'm still processing the preaching part....

Now, the fun part is right when the credits start to roll unexpectedly, the movie is silent.  I think this was done on purpose.  Basically, you get everyone's reaction to it right there.  MANY folks stood up and said "Gawd that was AWFUL" and stormed out.  :laugh:

I did however, love the scenery in the desert scenes.  It gets at least that much credit.  I think I'll wander into the Imdb boards and see what's being chatted about over there.... 

EDIT:  Ok, after reading a few threads over there, I'll give it a little more credit.  It certainly is thought provoking...  Most folks agree about the ending though.. (No I ain't tellin' no spoilers.)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 12:43:25 am »

Hey buddy.  Thanks for the review.  I think I will pass on paying to see it in the theatre..Wait for the video...
I wasnt expecting to like it too much, but i was expecting to think it was ok.. 
       Have you seen Jesse James w/Brad Pitt?  Its good.
       We have been trying to find the three burials of ....for my husband, and he cant find it on the shelves.

Beautiful mind

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 12:48:46 am »

Hey buddy.  Thanks for the review.  I think I will pass on paying to see it in the theatre..Wait for the video...
I wasnt expecting to like it too much, but i was expecting to think it was ok.. 
       Have you seen Jesse James w/Brad Pitt?  Its good.
       We have been trying to find the three burials of ....for my husband, and he cant find it on the shelves.

You know what, I actually do recommend seeing the film in the theatre.  Yes I saw Jesse James, and I think if you liked that, you will like this.  More and more I'm thinkin' on it, I'm changing my mind about recommending it.  It just not what I was expecting is all.  And BBM was the same way for me.....  It was hyped up beyond belief, and then it's something totally different from what you're expecting.  And, this is one a those movies that ain't gonna be the same on DVD.  I can tell.  It's definitely gonna be better in the theatre.

See my edit above too.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 12:59:05 am »
Whooo-weeee!

The imdb board is on fire over there.  Disagreements about the ending.  "Go see it again and pay attention".  I'm "haunted" for days.  This is jes' like the ol' BBM days!  :laugh:

Here's a direct quote from someone defending the movie:  "It's a shame that people like you and Pedro have to see these movies and ruin them with your total lack of understanding. Sorry some of you need to be spoonfed...maybe you should have bought tickets to the Bee Movie instead... "

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Don't go over there if you don't want SPOILERS though before you see the movie....

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 01:36:18 am »

So your final decisionis;  go and see it, but beware, you may not like the ending?

Beautiful mind

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 01:52:38 am »

So your final decisionis;  go and see it, but beware, you may not like the ending?

I guess you could say that. 

I've been reading more discussions on IMDB and this evening I think I've concluded this:  Great material.  Great thought provoking story.  Excellent thriller.  Ending poorly executed. 

This could have been as great as BBM, but hmmm, I really think they screwed up the execution of the ending.  There's many arguments on how it should have been done or shouldn't have been done on imdb.  I hate that I'm comparing this to BBM, but in looking back, I do have to say that BBM was FLAWLESS.  This unfortunately, is flawed.  I wouldn't be surprised if they re-do the ending at some point... 

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 09:23:57 pm »
I may go see it tomorrow since it's finally playing at the movie theatre right behind my house.

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 10:01:20 pm »
       I saw it today.   The audience was so riveted that they barely made a sound the whole time.   
I can see why some would not like the ending.  It plays against expectation and convention. It does not end where or when you think it will.   I thought it was going to end when Anton was shown walking away from the car accident....but then it didn't.     I didn't mind it though.

I thought Josh Brolin and Javier Bardem were fantastic in their roles.   I also liked the desolate landscape and the lack of a musical score, which served to make it much creepier.    Bardem doesn't even blink once, and somehow that's very creepy.   

Some things which I've never seen in a movie before:   killing people with an oxygen tank but not beating them in order to do so; and sending a pit bull into a river to chase a man.   Got to give them points for originality here.

I understood the title during the third act and figured it must be existential.   The "old men" are the sheriff and other men of his generation who can't stop the world from changing ("you can't stop what's coming") and think everything went to hell when people stopped saying "sir" and "ma'am."    The Sheriff retires because there is no place for him in this new world.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 11:59:44 am »
Overall, I liked it.  I thought a few scenes in particular were extraordinary - especially Tommy Lee Jones' character recounting the dream about his father to his wife.  That gave me chills, because I've had a very similar dream about my mother who passed away many years ago.  I liked that it didn't tie everything up into nice, neat little packages at the end.  And I thought Josh Brolin was wonderful.  I didn't like that Javiar Bardem's character killed 8,000,000 people, and yet was only being sought by two - maybe three - guys.  My husband and I both liked that Josh Brolin's character always took the dead men's guns.

For my money, "Fargo" is still the Coen Brothers' masterpiece.  My husband disagrees and says it's "Miller's Crossing."  Either way, it ain't this one.  Too flawed in too many places, and overall, it doesn't maintain a consistent tone like their others so painstakingly do.  I give it three stars.  But that's all I'll give it.  And I recommend seeing it in the theater for Roger Deakins' cinematography alone.  It's still better than most of the crap out there right now.
No more beans!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2007, 06:57:38 pm »
Just came from seeing it.  The ending had the audience up in arms... WTHeck was the response. It held my attention, thought it was sure was unpredictable in many aspects.  I'd recommend it, though not as good as FARGO by a long shot. 

I was left with a few questions. I checked the imdb.com msg board which was of help. The film is more in the film noir tradition as nobody is quite as good as they should be and the ending isn't a "Hollywood ending."   More ambiguous.
A few of the characters played by major actors I wish had been in the film longer.  Some real twists there, that's for sure.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 02:37:15 pm »
Janice, you need to put your thoughts/review of the movie here!  :D

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2007, 04:19:16 pm »
          Well I enjoyed this movie,but: is my opening thought.  But It seemed more like an idea for a movie,
than a real movie.. I guess that is what I felt about it.
          It had a perfect mystery, and great casting, and great locals.  I can't say enough about the actors.
Every single part that was in it, was played to perfection.
          But again having said that, it never answered the basic premise.  But sometimes you had to lose your
common sense, as to the things that people did or did not do.  In order to allow the perpetrator to continue
his path to destruction.  I wish that the directing and storytelling had given the audience more credit.  My
husband is one of the first to catch that stuff in a movie.  "Now that just doesn't make any sense."  I for sure
was disappointed in the "ending"  To tell the truth it had no ending.  So the way they finished it, for that is
what I will call it.  Made the entire movie rather pointless.  A well laid foundation and a great framework, with no
walls or roof...I did enjoy it in many ways however...Tommy Lee Jones, who like Heath, crawls inside his parts,
was great as always, and the evil one was very compelling.  As was the young man and the wife....
The Woody Harrelson part was very colorful.  But again very unfinished.  It seemed more like a add on to
give the movie more star power.  If he were as experienced and able as he claimed, he wouldnt have been
caught so unawares, it seems to me.
          When I read back over the stuff i have written it makes it like I hated it..Which oddly enough I didnt.
As I said.  I thought it had all the componants for a great movie..I just thought it  unfortunately, fell short.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 05:56:28 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind