Author Topic: What am I saying? ***ANSWER POSTED***  (Read 17208 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: What am I saying?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2007, 08:07:58 am »

:laugh:     :laugh:     :laugh:

I am wailing with laughter again!  :laugh:

I haven't laughed so much in a long time!  :laugh:

Thank you so very much to everyone who entered into the spirit of my funny little quiz and had a go at speaking Aussie!  :D

"G'Doy, moyt! You true-blue-dinky-doy? Yeah? Beaudy-bottlah, cobb-ah!" can be divided into three sections:

"G'Doy, moyt!" is how an Australian pronounces "Good day, mate!" Everybody got this right in some form or another.

"You true-blue-dinky-doy? Yeah?" is a little more convoluted. Doing away with the pronunciation, it asks "You true-blue-dinky-di (pronounced as one word)? Yeah? "True-blue" means "patriotic" and "dinky-di" means "the real thing, genuine." However, when used in this context, any Australian would immediately recognise, "You true-blue-dinky-doy? Yeah?" to mean, "You Australian? Yeah?" To an Australian, someone who is "true-blue-dinky-di" is Australian! It means one and the same thing! An Australian can also be simply referred to as "true-blue" alone, or "dinky-di" alone, without having to resort to the tautology of "true-blue-dinky-di." Only Susie got this correct with, "Are you Australian? Really?"

"Beaudy-bottlah, cobb-ah!" Again doing away with the pronunciation, it says, "Beauty-bottler, cobber!" Both "beauty" and "bottler" mean "good" or "excellent" in the Australian vernacular. This tautological double-whammy means the speaker is really very excited! "Cobber" is a word for "mate" or "friend." Susie and Dottie got this correct with "That's great, buddy," and ""Excellent, friend," respectively.

So here's what it means:

"Good day, mate! You Australian? Yeah? That's fabulous, cobber!"

Or in American-English:

"Yo, dude! Are you an Aussie? Yeah? Excellent, bud!"

Congratulations to Susie for getting a perfect score (over 3 attempts). Your First Prize is a cute lil cuddly koala!  :D What are you going to name him, Susie? How about "Ennis"?!  Yep, Ennis the koala! Sounds good to me!  :D

Dottie gets an honourable mention with 66%  :D

Everyone else  got the first sentence right, with a resultant score of 33% each.

Thank you again to everyone for entering!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: What am I saying? ***ANSWER POSTED***
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2007, 08:57:57 am »
This was a fun challenge. :)

Being an impatient sort of person, I googled for Australian slang dictionaries some little while ago and found this:

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

So I more or less figured out what the sentence meant before you posted the answer. But that is cheating so I stayed away from responding!

Nevertheless I post that link here, because because maybe others'll find it useful too. I've already bookmarked it along with my English slang and my English-to-American online dictionary. Such stuff is very helpful in a pinch, especially for all of us not-at-all-true-blue-dinky-doys who haven't got any kind of English as our first language.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2007, 11:02:44 am »
YAY!! I got there in the end   :P..... and now I've got my very own little Koala  :D ... I've always wanted one of those!!  "Ennis" sounds perfect ... unless it's a little girl koala, in which case I'll have to call her "Sheila"!  :D Thanks Kerry!  That was fun!

Thanks again for entering, Susie! I'm glad you enjoyed it!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2007, 11:17:11 am »
This was a fun challenge. :)

Being an impatient sort of person, I googled for Australian slang dictionaries some little while ago and found this:

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

So I more or less figured out what the sentence meant before you posted the answer. But that is cheating so I stayed away from responding!

Nevertheless I post that link here, because because maybe others'll find it useful too. I've already bookmarked it along with my English slang and my English-to-American online dictionary. Such stuff is very helpful in a pinch, especially for all of us not-at-all-true-blue-dinky-doys who haven't got any kind of English as our first language.

I figured entrants would probably do what you did, Mikaela (I would have done the same myself  ;) ). I would have been OK with that. But I didn't want to make it too easy, so made my quote in pronounced Aussie slang, rather than as it is correctly spelt, just to make it that little bit more difficult to google!  I mean, no true-blue-dinky-di Aussie would be caught dead saying, "Good-day, mate." "G'Doy moyt" is much closer to the way it is actually said in this part of the world.  :D

P.S., I consulted http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html myself, just to make sure of my facts. It's a bottler site, cobber!  :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Dagi

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2007, 11:31:59 am »
YAY!! I got there in the end   :P..... and now I've got my very own little Koala  :D ... I've always wanted one of those!!  "Ennis" sounds perfect ... unless it's a little girl koala, in which case I'll have to call her "Sheila"!  :D

Thanks Kerry!  That was fun!

Susie and Ennis ;D ;D ;D

Congrats, Miss Susie!!  ;D ;D ;D I didn´t have a clue, but I laughed my ... off. I´m still chuckling, guess I will be chuckling for the rest of the day. ;D

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2007, 01:50:50 pm »
Hey, buddy.  Are you an actual dwarf?  Really?  Guess the beautician puts cobblestones under your butt when she's cutting your hair. 

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Obviously, I haven't a clue.  But I'm hoping to get extra credit for creativity.   ;D

Now, that's a hilarious answer. I give you an A+ for creativity Gary. It's also funny that you said beautician and I said beauty parlor, but I didn't fine the cobblestones under the butt part  ;D

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2007, 01:55:47 pm »
So Kerry now you are going to have to think of something else fun for us to do  :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2007, 05:47:18 pm »
STONE THE FLAMIN' CROWS!!! I only saw this after the answer was posted, so couldnt join in the fun!

But to all those that got it wrong.. in a true alf stewart style.... all I'll say is....

You flamin galahs!!!

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YZhcdwoFynk[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5TWAzGp4w2Q&feature=related[/youtube]

(and in finding a alf you tube clip I found out kate Richie is leaving Home and Away! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I love Sally! Thats like Alf leaving... and that can NEVER happen!!)

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

injest

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2007, 06:14:19 pm »
STONE THE FLAMIN' CROWS!!!

dang, Kelda...just seems a little harsh coming from you..I mean..they are already on FIRE..why you gotta be throwing ROCKS at them??

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2007, 07:26:12 pm »
 :laugh:     :laugh:     :laugh:

I loooove the flamin' video clips, Kelda & Susie!  :laugh:

Thank you for posting them!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν