Author Topic: All Things Sci-Fi and Fantasy  (Read 89369 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: All Things Sci-Fi and Fantasy
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2009, 11:06:52 am »
There was a behind the scenes special about BSG coming to an end last night.  Very good.

SciFi announced that Friday will be an all day marathon of BSG's four seasons, ending with the 2-hour finale.  8)  8)  8)

Maybe a marathon of seasons 4.0 and 4.5?  Unless they just show a selection from the 4 seasons, otherwise they would have to show the 'bunny versions'.

Here's an interesting item from http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=30217&Cr=television&Cr1=

UN and Battlestar Galactica host discussion of human rights and armed conflict

Kiyo Akasaka
17 March 2009 – The United Nations is co-hosting a discussion with the stars and creators of the television show Battlestar Galactica today, exploring themes which are important to both – human rights, terrorism, children and armed conflict, and reconciliation between civilians and faiths.
“This event will show how skilful storytelling can elevate the profile of critical humanitarian issues,” said Kiyo Akasaka, UN Under-Secretary-General for Public Information. “Not only does it present an opportunity for creative discussion, but, more importantly, it offers a chance to deliver a message about the many harsh realities that still exist worldwide.”

The panel will be moderated by Academy Award-winning actress and producer Whoopi Goldberg, and will include Oscar-nominated actress Mary McDonnel, Emmy Award-winning and Oscar-nominated actor Edward James Olmos, and Battlestar Galactica creators and executive producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick.

On the UN side, panelists will include Radhika Coomaraswamy, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Children and Armed Conflict; Craig Mokhiber of the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights; Robert Orr, Assistant Secretary-General for Policy Planning; and Famatta Rose Osode, from the Permanent Mission of Liberia to the UN.

The discussion is a launch project for the UN Department of Public Information’s Creative Community Outreach Initiative, which is aimed at partnering with the international film and television industries to raise awareness of global issues.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2009, 01:39:26 pm »

OMG.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/garden/19trek.html?hp=&pagewanted=all

Getting Their Kirk On

“I know it’s not real,” added Mr. Boyd, 43, “but the minute I sit in it, the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.”

Serious Trekkies are expressing a passion for “Star Trek” by building replicas
of Capt. James T. Kirk’s original chair and making them a focal point in the home.

BRIDGE CLUB Scott Veazie in his replica chair.

By THOMAS VINCIGUERRA
Published: March 18, 2009

THERE is nothing particularly unusual about the living room of the two-story town house that Scott Veazie shares with his wife in Washougal, Wash., except for one piece of furniture in a corner: a full-size replica of the captain’s chair from the bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise, as seen in the original “Star Trek”  television series.

Mr. Veazie, 27, was not yet born when that show first went on the air in the 1960s; even his parents were only teenagers. During his childhood, there were “Star Trek”  spinoffs on TV with more sophisticated special effects than the original, and a more contemporary sensibility, and there were also movies featuring the old show’s actors aboard updated versions of the Enterprise. But Mr. Veazie, who watched endless reruns of the original series with his mother in the 1980s, was never drawn to those later incarnations.

“The original show was the first one I saw,” he said. “It was so idealistic. A lot of us kids wanted to be Captain Kirk — and part of that was the chair.”

Mr. Veazie, a manager at Underwriters Laboratories, built the chair himself last year, and has been gratified to find, since installing it in the living room in May, that “when someone comes in, it’s the first thing they comment on.”

Serious Trekkies have long fashioned copies of their favorite costumes and props, and, back in the ’70s and ’80s, a few even put together homemade knockoffs of the captain’s chair, using reference materials like the “Starfleet Technical Manual” and “U.S.S. Enterprise Bridge Blueprints.”

But lately fans like Mr. Veazie have been building or buying more sophisticated versions of the command module from which James T. Kirk, played by William Shatner, ordered “Ahead, warp factor six.” Moreover, they are making them the centerpiece of their homes, thus conquering what is for them a final frontier of domestic décor.

At a moment when yet another movie is about to present yet another revamped Enterprise (this one claiming to be the original vessel of the young Kirk, Spock and McCoy), these traditionalists are holding their ground.

Drawing on a wide variety of new sources, including construction-oriented Web sites, Web-based entrepreneurs who supply kits of parts, and a Maryland company that just started selling ready-made chairs for $2,700 a piece, they are making a definitive statement to the world, or at least to their friends and families.

“The closet command-chair Trekkies have come out of the closet,” said Keith Marshall, 45, an unemployed phlebotomist, emergency medical technician, corrections officer and firefighter whose uncompleted chair, currently sitting in his brother’s garage, is slated for his own living room in Bonney Lake, Wash. “For a lot of people in the last few years,” Mr. Marshall added, “the pieces have come together.”

The current wave of interest seems to have started after the original chair was auctioned for $305,000 in 2002 and subsequently displayed at the Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame in Seattle, where “Star Trek”  loyalists could view it up close. (Not coincidentally, perhaps, the chair’s devotees tend to be clustered in the Northwest.)

The spread of digital video also helped the cause, allowing hobbyists to freeze-frame shots of the chair and scrutinize it from every angle. On message boards like Dewback Wing A.S.A.P.: A Site About Props,  they swap and compare screen grabs, measurements, schematics and spare parts.

Aficionados offer different reasons for the chair’s allure, some straightforward, some verging on the mystical.

“Everyone wants to sit in it,” said Bruce Boyd, an unemployed auto parts manager in Roseburg, Ore., who completed his chair — which he also keeps in the living room — in November. “There’s some sort of charisma there. It’s hard to explain.”

“I know it’s not real,” added Mr. Boyd, 43, “but the minute I sit in it, the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.”

HOME ENTERPRISE Boldly going where few husbands have gone before, Bruce Boyd, with his daughter,
Brittany, put his Captain Kirk chair in the living room.

Clark Bradshaw, a computer animator and graphic designer in Nicholasville, Ky., cited the chair’s unmistakable design. “It definitely is the only one of its kind,” he said. “All of the other chairs in all of the shows resembled each other — they weren’t distinctive.”

Mr. Bradshaw, 36, began building his chair in college, 15 years ago. But when he saw the exacting specifications on the A.S.A.P. forum, he said, “I just ripped it apart and started over.” In his home office, it awaits painting and final assembly.

Not Clark Bradshaw. His wife threatened divorce if he tried the same thing.

For Mike Paugh, 42, a financial planner in Cranbrook, British Columbia, the appeal goes back to childhood. “I loved the show,” he said. “I had all the model kits and all that stuff, but when I moved I had to get rid of them. Now I’ve started to build again.” He spent about $1,000 on his chair, which he finished in October 2007 and put in his family’s rec room.

Mr. Paugh is one of many Trekkies who are not particularly impressed with what they have seen, in trailers and on the Internet, of the Enterprise from the new “Star Trek”  movie, directed by J. J. Abrams and coming out in May. “A lot of guys are saying, ‘They’re wrecking this show, they’re not doing it the way they used to do it,’ ” he said.

KEEP ON TREKKIN’ The new “Star Trek” movie, to be released in May,
has a young Kirk (Chris Pine), McCoy (Karl Urban) and Spock (Zachary Quinto) —
and a curvier command chair.

“The chair, in particular, looks like some weird office chair,” he added. “But then, that’s what the original was.”

Indeed, it is a commonly held view that Captain Kirk’s throne was built around the black Naugahyde cushioning and slim walnut arms of a model No. 2405 or No. 4449 armchair produced by Madison Furniture Industries of Canton, Miss., between 1962 and 1968. The late industrial designer Arthur Umanoff conceived the chair as part of an attempt to replicate the Danish modern look, popular then. Today, vintage examples of the Madison chairs can fetch up to $2,000 on eBay.

“They weren’t high-end furniture,” said B. J. West, a San Francisco-based computer game production designer and Madison collector who maintains a Web site devoted to the chairs. He has had many requests for information and advice from would-be builders of Kirk chairs, he said.

Louis Shornick, 90, the owner of the Madison company from 1950 to 1966, used to watch “Star Trek”  without thinking that his product was being immortalized on the small screen. Only later, when Mr. West sent him detailed pictures from the original series, did he see a connection.

“I said, That’s our chair,” Mr. Shornick recalled. “There is no doubt in my mind that that’s it.”

Not everyone is so sure. Herbert F. Solow, a former vice president of Desilu Studios who developed and sold “Star Trek”  to NBC, insists Kirk’s chair was made from scratch, as does John Jefferies, an uncredited “Star Trek”  set designer whose late brother, Walter, was the set designer for the show — and the designer of the captain’s chair itself. Mr. Jefferies remembers helping his brother construct the chair’s extended frame, swivel base and pedestal from plywood, and coating it with dove-gray paint from the Desilu stores.

It was a function of what we had to work with, and the ability of the people we had,” said Mr. Jefferies, 73. “And cost was a factor. Today, it would probably be made of fiberglass or carbon fiber material.”

He added, “If we knew we would be a part of history, we would have paid more attention to what we were doing.”

Walter Jefferies’s imitators are considerably more painstaking. They fixate on the contours of the seat, its angle of recline, the exact color and size of the controls, and myriad other details.

When Tod Sturgeon of Auburn, Wash., the manager of a private security firm, built his chair in 2006, he was consumed with the paint job.

“I got six or eight different grays, put them on a sheet of wood, compared them to what I saw on the small screen, and did sort of an average,” said Mr. Sturgeon, 40. “We Trekkies really do get down in the wheat sometimes.”

Tod Sturgeon is obsessed over details like paint color
and control buttons.

Mr. Veazie, of Washington, spent several hours a day for two weeks last spring sanding, spackling, and otherwise smoothing out the grain of his plywood frame. “The finishing took forever,” he said. “I could have spent another month on it. I was obsessed with fidelity.”

In the fictional “Star Trek” universe, the chair’s buttons and switches were used for deep-space communication, signaling alerts and other command functions. Some latter-day Captain Kirks have their own ideas.

“I want to put an intercom system in it that would control the intercom system in my house and operate some lights,” said Mr. Marshall, the phlebotomist. “For that couch potato thing.”

Mr. Paugh, the financial planner, is wiring his chair’s innards with 25-watt bulbs to light up its epoxy resin knobs. The bulbs’ ceramic sockets will be surrounded by foil to protect the encircling wood from the heat, exactly like its 1960s progenitor, according to a description in the catalog for the 2002 auction from the California auction house Profiles in History.

“I want to have it look just as gross inside as the real one, even though the people I’m going to show it to can’t see it,” Mr. Paugh said. “I know that doesn’t make me sound particularly sane.”

For those willing to be a little less hands-on, Diamond Select Toys & Collectibles, a company in Timonium, Md., that specializes in science fiction and comic-book novelties, has just begun selling a ready-to-use model for about $2,700. This version — which the company says it plans to limit to 1,701 pieces, in honor of the Enterprise’s Starfleet registration number — includes light and sound effects emanating from the control knobs, push buttons, rocker switches and a mock intercom on the chair’s boxy armrests.

So what, beyond pushing buttons, do these men — as all Kirk chair owners appear to be — do with the most conspicuous piece of furniture in the room?

Some watch TV in theirs, or simply loll, and some seem to find the chair an empowering place from which to deal with others. “When we have a little family powwow — I have four children — I sit in it to lay down the law,” said Mr. Boyd, the auto parts manager.

And most, of course, indulge their fantasies, imagining doing battle with Klingons and otherwise cruising the cosmos. “Sitting in it,” said Mr. Bradshaw, the graphic designer, “I find myself striking an action pose quite unconsciously.”

To his regret, he must strike those poses in his home office. “My wife is not big on it,” he said. “I’ve actually been threatened with divorce if it comes into the living room.”

Mr. Sturgeon’s wife is more understanding. Though her husband’s chair measures, like most of its counterparts, an obtrusive 40 inches wide, 44 inches tall, and 38 inches deep — with extra room needed to swivel — she permits it in the living room.

“Every once in a while I’ll play a ‘Star Trek’  video game in front of the chair and pretend I’m in command of the fleet,” Mr. Sturgeon said. “But by this time I’m so used to it that it’s just like any other chair. Maybe I feel like I’m in command of the house.”

“You sit in the chair,” Mike Paugh said, “and you’re watching an episode and pushing buttons and you find yourself saying, Fire photon torpedoes or whatever, and you’re making the sounds yourself because I don’t have the sound effects yet.”

“Personally,” said his wife, Barbara, “I think my husband is a nerd.”

For all the labor and money the chair builders expend, they generally don’t park themselves in the captain’s seat for too long.

Capt. James T. Kirk.

It’s not the most comfortable of chairs,” Mr. Veazie said. “The arms are too low and they’re too far apart. Now I know why William Shatner was always leaning forward in it.”

There is another possible explanation, suggested Eddie Paskey, who as Mr. Shatner’s stand-in on “Star Trek” spent much time in the chair during camera and lighting set-ups. “Early on, Bill sat down, leaned back, and it went over backwards,” he said.

No word, though, from Captain Kirk himself. “Mr. Shatner is not doing any ‘Star Trek’-related interviews right now,” his assistant, Christopher T. Carley, wrote in an e-mail message, “because of the new movie.”
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2009, 01:53:07 pm »

OMG is right!  Even in the new Star Trek the women's uniforms are mini dresses?!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2009, 06:01:00 pm »
Great article, thanks, John!  You've gotta love Trekkie nerds.  :-*

Set course for the next movie.  Engage!  :D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2009, 08:06:39 pm »

Great article, thanks, John!  You've gotta love Trekkie nerds.  :-*

Set course for the next movie.  Engage!  :D

Isn't there a Klingon vessel just outside the window? Uh, I mean, at the portbow, on the, uh, viewscreen.
Opposite the bookcase.

LOVE the DVD player and the wires and ESPECIALLY love the flowered bracket-sconce thingies.
As offerings for Vaal, don't you know.

I bet his boots hurt.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2009, 09:54:36 pm »

OMG is right!  Even in the new Star Trek the women's uniforms are mini dresses?!

Hmmm. Something wrong about that mini. Doesn't look right, somehow.

I was born in 1954, so this is my era.
I was a Flower Child Wannabe, I loved mini-skirts, and I loved  Nichelle Nichols.

http://greyfalcon.us/restored/Star%20Trek.htm

Star Trek: A Phenomenon and Social Statement on the 1960s
Copyright © 1995 J. William Snyder, Jr.
Permission granted to copy and use for private study and other non-commercial and academic purposes.

Lt. Uhura, played by Nichelle Nichols is the highest ranking female officer to serve aboard the USS Enterprise during the three years that the series ran on network television. Lt. Uhura serves as communications officer and as fourth in command of the Enterprise (Gerrold 141). To have a woman in such a prominent position on board a starship with her responsibility is truly amazing for a television show in the 1960's (Editor 37). She is almost never portrayed as a stereotypical woman incapable of accomplishing anything without male assistance. As a strong, fierce character, she can take care of herself quite well. In the episode "Mirror, Mirror", Uhura's task is to divert the attention of parallel-Sulu from his helmsman's post so Engineer Scott can divert power to the transporter room necessary to send her, Captain Kirk, Dr. McCoy, and Lt. Cmdr. Scott back to their own universe. Taking advantage of parallel-Sulu's desire for her, she moves in to "divert" his attention wish a seemingly sexual advance, only to violently slap him back once the indicator light on the helmsman's position warning of the power shift has gone out. She then defends herself quite nicely against the angry parallel-Sulu with a knife. Nichelle Nichols had much to do with portraying her character and fighting for her character's status. Ms. Nichols during an interview with David Gerrold mentioned that in the script for one episode, Lt. Uhura was to assume the helmsman's position because all the senior officers were on a planet, but the script was rewritten to exclude that action by the Lieutenant. Nichols "pitched a bitch" over being written out. "When you're out in space, in a dangerous situation. you're not going to have some female that goes, 'Ooooh, Captain, save me, save me!'" (81). Ms. Nichols was bound and determined to secure a prominant place for Lt. Uhura and the rest of the women aboard the Enterprise.

"Camping Out"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2009, 10:25:37 pm »
I love me some Trekkers!!!   :-* :-*

Really pumped to see the move!!

Now I like Karl Urban...but as a Southern boy McCoy?!?!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2009, 12:00:58 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichelle_Nichols

Nichelle Nichols
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nichelle Nichols (born Grace Nichols; December 28, 1932) is an American actress, singer and voice artist.

(....)

Star Trek

It was in Star Trek  that Nichols gained popular recognition by being one of the first black women featured in a major television series not playing a servant; her prominent supporting role as a female black bridge officer was unprecedented. During the first year of the series, Nichols was tempted to leave the show, as she felt her role lacked significance; however, a conversation with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. changed her mind. Though specifics of the conversation vary, in generalities she has reported that Dr. King personally encouraged her to stay on the show, telling her that he was a big fan of the series and told her she "could not give up" since she was playing a vital role model for black children and young women across the country. It is also often reported that Dr. King added that "Once that door is opened by someone, no one else can close it again." Another of her famous fans is Barack Obama, who watched her on Star Trek while a young boy in Honolulu.

Former NASA astronaut Mae Jemison has cited Nichols's role of Lt. Uhura as her inspiration for wanting to become an astronaut and Whoopi Goldberg has also spoken of Nichols's influence. Goldberg herself eventually landed a recurring role in Star Trek: The Next Generation  as Guinan, while Jemison appeared in an episode of the series.

In her role as Lt. Uhura, Nichols famously kissed Canadian actor William Shatner as Captain James T. Kirk in the 1968 Star Trek  episode "Plato's Stepchildren". This is often referred to as the first interracial kiss on US television, however that milestone actually took place when Sammy Davis, Jr. and Nancy Sinatra kissed briefly on the variety program Movin' With Nancy in December 1967. It wasn't even the first interracial kiss on Star Trek,  as Shatner had kissed an alien played by Vietnamese-French actress France Nuyen in the episode "Elaan of Troyius," which was screened earlier that season.

Nevertheless, the scene provoked protest and was seen as groundbreaking, even though the kiss was portrayed as having been forced by alien mind control. Despite a smattering of protest, the majority of the feedback of the incident was positive. In her 1994 autobiography, Beyond Uhura, Star Trek and Other Memories  page 197, Nichols cites a letter from one white Southerner who wrote: "I am totally opposed to the mixing of the races. However, any time a red-blooded American boy like Captain Kirk gets a beautiful dame in his arms that looks like Uhura, he ain't gonna fight it." During the Comedy Central roast of Shatner on August 20, 2006, she referred to the incident and said, "Let's make TV history again ... and you can kiss my black ass!"

Despite the cancellation of the series in 1969, Star Trek  lived on in other ways, and continued to play a part in Nichols's life. She again provided the voice of Uhura in Star Trek: The Animated Series,  in one episode of which, "The Lorelei Signal", Uhura assumes command of the Enterprise. Nichols noted in her autobiography her frustration over this never occurring in the original series. Also, Nichols has costarred in six Star Trek  films, her last being Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

"Camping Out"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2009, 12:29:36 am »
It wasn't even the first interracial kiss on Star Trek,  as Shatner had kissed an alien played by Vietnamese-French actress France Nuyen in the episode "Elaan of Troyius," which was screened earlier that season.

I remember seeing France Nuyen in that episode when I was a little kid watching Star Trek in reruns.  I liked how ethnic she looked, her spirit, how exotically beautiful she was, down to the great hairpiece - which was ahead of its time.

I remember Whoopi Goldberg commenting on Lt. Uhura.  She says she remembers thinking, "At least one of us made it."  :)

I love Star Trek.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2009, 12:45:11 am »

I guess was feeling a little green that morning...

(Isn't the internet a wonderful, wonderful thing??)

Elaan of Troyius   (5:19)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtoHl8in7Hk&feature=related[/youtube]

Elaan of Troyius
Directed by John Meredyth Lucas.
Perf. William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, Nichelle Nichols, James Doohan, George Takei, and Walter Koenig.
Star Trek. Season 3, episode 2.
NBC. 20 December 1968.
DVD. Paramount, 2008.

"Camping Out"