Author Topic: Christmas Customs  (Read 18406 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Christmas Customs
« on: November 18, 2007, 11:18:41 pm »
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
Re: Christmas Customs
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 11:40:07 pm »
Merry Christmas, David!!!   ;D

See if your pet can talk on Christmas at midnight?  Huh?  I don't get that.  Have you been dipping into the eggnog already?   :P

Gary

Well, yes I have actually, but that has nothing to do with the animals! There's an old legend that says animals can speak on Christmas morning, at midnight. They are given the power of speech for one hour. I try to talk to my animals every year, and so far they haven't ever spoke back to me. But I keep trying it again every Christmas!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 01:11:02 am »
Well, yes I have actually, but that has nothing to do with the animals!

:laugh:

Fun thread, David! I do most of the things except the deeply religious ones and Christmas cards (I gave those up a few years ago). What's smudge the creche with sage about?

Offline pettifogger

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Just passin through
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 02:53:47 am »
We also set carrots out for the reindeer.  Ever since my childhood in Pretty Prairie Kansas some 70 or so long years ago we always have an advent wreath as well  each  Sunday before Christmas a purple candle is lit except for the third Sunday when a rose Candle is lit and a scripture is read foretelling the coming of the Christ child.  ON the fouth Sunday all the candles are ablaze.

Then on Christmas Eve the three purple and one rose candle are replace by 4 white candle and one red in the center.  The red is the Christ candle and we light them all and sing carols every evening after dinner until Epiphany.

You and I are travelers just passing through this earth

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 03:30:13 am »

I have always put a Christmas Village on top of the entertainment center..It is porcelain houses and churches,  It
is snow people instead of Santa and Reindeer., with elves.  There are trees and streetlights, and logs against the sides of houses.  The buildings are all lit and the lights glow through the windows...it is all on a white snow blanket, which I then scatter with candies.. Chocolate kisses, truffles, and such...then a sleigh full of them also...They are then refilled as needed.
     Every year its the first thing we put up...pretty and gets the mood going.  Started it when my kids were all little..
some XXXX odd years ago....LOL

Beautiful mind

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 11:21:05 am »
Judging from the way you phrased this, inneedcrayons, I'm guessing you set cookies and milk out for Santa.  That's unexpected, but oh so sweet.   :D

Well, yeah, thanks. And then Santa gets to eat them -- leaving a few half-eaten cookies and scattered crumbs around for authenticity (Santa is in a hurry!) -- whether she's hungry or not.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 12:40:47 pm »
I could only tick five boxes plus one for "other".

We do

- Trim The Christmas Tree
- Set Up A Nativity Scene (Creche) (a small one, on a cabinet, not outside)
- Bake Christmas Cookies 
- Sing/Listen To Christmas Songs
- Open Presents On Christmas Eve Night

Like petitfogger, we also have an Advent wreath. One candle for each Advent week. The first week, you light only one candle, second week light two candles and so on.

Last year I bought a creche and set it up. Was the first time ever we had a creche.

We open presents on the evening of Christmas Eve. First I go to church with the kids, while my husband is cooking and putting the presents under the tree and locks the living room door. Then we eat, and then we wait for Christ Child to ring the bell. The bell is the sign that Christ Child and Santa Clause have been here and are just about to leave the house.

I think it was two years ago when my middle child said: "It's strange that Christ Child always rings the bell when Daddy is on his way to the bathroom..."  ;D Smart child  :).

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 02:26:13 pm »

My children are smart, too. Somehow at 11 and 13, they STILL believe in Santa, and expect her him to get them really good presents in addition to the ones they get from their parents.  ::)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 03:07:10 pm »
There's an old legend that says animals can speak on Christmas morning, at midnight. They are given the power of speech for one hour. I try to talk to my animals every year, and so far they haven't ever spoke back to me. But I keep trying it again every Christmas!  :D

Maybe they just don't have anything to say.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 03:09:34 pm »

Jeff you are a nut...

Beautiful mind