Author Topic: Men in Trees  (Read 1918 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Men in Trees
« on: November 19, 2007, 11:14:14 am »
To be honest, I wasn't really looking for a series starring Anne Heche to watch on a weekly basis, but this series has been growing on me.  The guys are cute, the characters quirky and sweet, and it doesn't feature an autopsy as part of its weekly format - big plusses in my book!

Although not a gay related series, Anne Heche will of course be remembered by many as Ellen Degeneres's former lover.  She's a bit quirky, and frankly, she's acquired more on-camera charm and sex appeal than I previously would previously would have thought her capable of. 

"Men in Trees" also acquired a small gay storyline when John Amos's son starts dating one of the locals. 

I've enjoyed the writing, performances, and scenery, and the guys aren't bad looking either!

Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Men in Trees
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 08:08:47 am »
The thing that bothered me about this show when I first saw it was that it was such a total rip-off of "Northern Exposure":

someone from NY ends up in a tiny Alaskan town with resulting issues of re-acclimating
cute girl/guy to argue with/get chummy with/get sexy with
a lot of action takes place in the bar
someone runs a radio station
the brother/father of the radio station guy is black
quirky-mysterious woman (Native)/quirky-mysterious man (Cash) who goes in and out of the story
bar owner/bar patron with a very surprising past (which was just revealed on Men)

I'm sure I could think of more things. This was off the top of my head as I'm getting ready for work.

Bottom line, the biggest difference in the two shows is that Northern Exposure was really, really well written.

That said, if I'm really bored and too tired to accomplish something anyway, sometimes I've been watching it (I don't have a TV hooked up as a TV so I watch online when I feel like it), and I have to admit that, although I doubt that it will ever come up to the level of Northern Exposure (which did get really weird at the end, I will admit), it is definitely getting better and I have to agree with you that Anne Heche is becoming somewhat appealing. For me, I think that has to do with some of the "damsel in distress" issues having been resolved. She's more independent, much less needy, and therefore, much more appealing. And I absolutely love what she (Cash?) has done with her little cabin!

(Interestingly, Northern Exposure had a BBM-type thing going on. People went to the little town in Washington (I think) where it was filmed - including my brother and sister-in-law, who took many pictures for me - they have/had yearly get-togethers...not on the scale of BBM (or Trekkies), I don't believe, but pretty good for a TV show.)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 08:47:17 am »
I liked Northern Exposure, and yes, I agree that MiT biggest flaw is that it is more derivative of NE than it needs to be.   I'm not sure how many episodes it was contracted for, but I'd like to see it develop.  (I'd like to encourage any show that isn't about "autopsy of the week.")
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 09:57:34 am »
I've seen photos of James Tupper in TV Guide. He's cute--but not cute enough to induce me to watch the show.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.