Author Topic: We gay men are MORE than 10 per cent?  (Read 22096 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
We gay men are MORE than 10 per cent?
« on: November 20, 2007, 07:40:46 pm »
Years ago, a study said that we gay men are 10 per cent, in society!

Are we now MORE than 10 percent?

Hugs!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: We gay men are MORE than 10 per cent?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 08:56:33 pm »

Honey I really dont know where you would go to find that statistic..  It would be a pure conjecture, at best.

Beautiful mind

Offline Artiste

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 11:43:10 pm »
Thanks ifyoucantfixit!

There must be some recent studies?

Or not so recent ones?

Hugs!

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 01:45:49 am »

Hugs!

Artiste, If the 10% is a true and accurate figure I don't think that would ever change because that
would be the extent of the natural variation. Let me throw out a few statistics and I forgot where I read
them, but somewhere I read that 50% of men at one time in thier life tried a same-sex experience. This
experience may be something as simple as a kiss an no more. Then 25% of that 50% go on in life to
have same-sex encounters during their lifetime. This I assume would account for bisexuality. The study
also stated that only 4-6 % of men are exclusively same-sex all their life, thus gay. Take these statistics more as
gossip than gospel, because, like I said I do not remember where I read it. My point is that in the wild or
natural seection I don't believe the percent of gay men would increase by natural selection. The only
way I believe the percent would increase is by betting polling methods. Also remember this and it was
quoted by the same study I read, that some men are so phobic about same-sex acts that they would
admit to sleeping with a dog before they would admit to sleeping with another man.

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 02:06:58 am »
Hi Artiste!!  :D

What Tampatalon said.

I have read studies about gay population claiming a statistical value of anywhere from 5% to nearly 20% of society. It's all over the chart. These studies depend on the honesty of an individual, so in my opinion none of these "studies" are accurate, because just like Tampatalon said, some people would never admit to sleeping with a same sex partner.

And then perhaps some straight people might admit to being gay or bisexual just to throw off the study. Fun and games. So nobody really knows for certain.  Personally I think the gay population is probably around 6 or 7 percent; bisexuals at maybe 15 percent. But that is just my opinion. I don't think anyone will ever know for certain unless they invent a machine that can read minds.  :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 04:04:37 am »
Hi Artiste!!  :D
 I don't think anyone will ever know for certain unless they invent a machine that can read minds.  :)

They already invented the machine, its my spouse. He  is great fer telling me off for what I might be thinking.     
    ;D :o :laugh:

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 04:06:27 am »
They already invented the machine, its my spouse. He  is great fer telling me off for what I might be thinkiing  ;D :o :laugh:

TampaTalon^">

Yeah, they're good at that, aren't they? My Alex is very good at that too! :D

Offline Artiste

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 09:58:19 am »
Thanks David, and thanks tampatalon!!

The data varied, I guess, like you say.

The one study, many years ago, did it not say that 10 per cent were gay men?

Not another such   study was done since??

Hugs!!

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 06:46:30 pm »
Thanks David, and thanks tampatalon!!

The data varied, I guess, like you say.

The one study, many years ago, did it not say that 10 per cent were gay men?

Not another such   study was done since??

Hugs!!

Artiste, If there is a new study. I certainly would be interested. A good study that has
good statistics would help forward gay rights. If 10% of the population could be
proven conclusively gay and lesbian, this should be a wake up call for the
politicians. A 10% voting block would certainly be worth courting nationwide.

TampaTalon^">

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 07:12:46 pm »
Thanks tampatalon!

You are likely right, that it would help that way, indeed! For votes, for values, for education, for much more!! For us all gay men too!!

I feel that such a new educational survey would interest many, as well as us, since it could reveal much more than 10 percent! Now, that many gay men are numbered, such data is important!

Who could do it?

Hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 11:39:43 am »
Thanks garycottle!

You say: I don't think that we're ever going to know exactly what percentage of the population is gay until everyone who is gay feels free to admit to it without fear. 

So we must all work towards that freedom? How?

Hugs!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 03:15:50 pm »
Many in society still believe homosexuality is a choice. Obviously as gay men and women we know this is not true. But until society understands this, I think it will be difficult for us to progress. Let's all hope for a scientific breakthrough; something that will prove to society once and for all what we have known all along. One does not choose their sexual orientation, just like one does not choose their skin color.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 07:46:56 pm »
Thanks David, and thanks garycottle!!

Interesting are your comments!!

Do you think that we are at least 10 percent of the population?

Hugs!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 09:40:40 pm »
This is a good point, David.  But I kind of fear that if they track down a "gay gene" it could lead to genetic engineering.  There has already been a film made about how someone might react if they found out that their unborn baby might be gay.  Twilight of the Golds was about a gay man who had a sister that became pregnant. She learned that because her brother was gay, it was likely that her child would grow up to be gay, and so the question became would she abort the child. I can see something like that happening.  And that scares the hell out of me.

But most likely if they do find a scientific cause, it would be so complex that human beings couldn't really interfere with the process.  Or at least we can hope that's how it would turn out.

Gary

That is a scary thought Gary, and I can easily see some people doing it too. But I really do think if and when they find scientific evidence it will be much more complicated and complex than just one or two gay genes. Think about it. Many gay men also have effeminate traits, and their voice is often quite different than other men. I don't really know, but it seems to me it will probably be very intricate and complicated. Like you, I also hope this is the case.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 09:43:14 pm »
By co-winkie-dink while I was reading this thread FoxNews had the O'reilly Factor on.The discussion was regarding the two high school girls in a yearbook as "The
Cutest Couple". The discussion said gays and lesbians are 6% of the population;
however the discussion made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. OReilly
was debating that this was inapproprate behavior to put this in a year book.
He further stated that a strait couple in a year book is fine.I can only imagine how
the debate would have gone if the couple was dudes! Do they have this sh*t in Canada too?

I am begining to think, if ya can't fix it then force it!

TampaTalon^">

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 09:45:38 pm »
By co-winkie-dink while I was reading this thread FoxNews had the O'reilly Factor on.
The discussion was regarding the two high school girls in a yearbook as "The
Cutest Couple". The discussion said gays and lesbians are 6% of the population;
however the discussion made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. OReilly
was debating that this was inapproprate behavior to put this in a year book.
He further stated that a strait couple in a year book is fine. I can only imagine how
the debare would go if the couple was dudes! Do they have this sh*t in Canada too?

I am begining to think, if ya can't fix it then force it!

TampaTalon^">

Bill O'Reilly probably wears his underwear on the outside of his pants. The man is a complete and total idiot.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 09:49:57 pm »
Bill O'Reilly probably wears his underwear on the outside of his pants. The man is a complete and total idiot.

I believe gays and lesbians are the only minority that it is acceptable to put down and discriminate against.Its unacceptable in this day and age.

TampaTalon^">

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 10:16:52 pm »
I believe gays and lesbians are the only minority that it is acceptable to put down and discriminate against.Its unacceptable in this day and age.

TampaTalon^">

This is very true. They regularly tell gay jokes on late night TV shows like Jay Leno. In fact, sometimes they are telling these jokes so fast and furiously it almost seems like some sort of feeding frenzy.

Hopefully someday people will look back on all of this and be as horrified about it as we are now towards such things as black face or "injuns".

Offline Artiste

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 10:07:16 am »
Thanks guys!!

If we find out that we are 10 percent or more, maybe the population in general will accept gay men more?

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2007, 09:47:12 pm »

Hugs!

When you say "gay men" are you weighing that against the total population including women.I strongly suspect that figure is way too high. Maybe including occasional bisexuals both male and female it adds up to 10%. Men and women who are exclusively homosexual is probably closer to 3 to 4% of the total population. but, I'm not convinced that there will be reliable studies until there are easy tests for the "gay gene" that was discovered about 10 years ago.   

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2007, 10:00:39 pm »
When you say "gay men" are you weighing that against the total population including women.I strongly suspect that figure is way too high. Maybe including occasional bisexuals both male and female it adds up to 10%. Men and women who are exclusively homosexual is probably closer to 3 to 4% of the total population. but, I'm not convinced that there will be reliable studies until there are easy tests for the "gay gene" that was discovered about 10 years ago.   

Keep in mind that more than 50% of the population is to some extent bisexual!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2007, 11:19:35 am »
Thanks garycottle, thanks Front-Ranger, and thanks brokeplex!!!

1. Concerning that 6 percent from the biggest and oldest (I guess) survey, I think that that was only for gay men? Can anyone find out?

2. Do you think that since at least 50 per cent or more are bi-persons, this could help greatly if the numbers are to be known?

3. Since there is more now an openness for gay men like gay marriages in certain countries, I feel that the population has likely at least 10 percent or more who consider themselves gay men??

Such surveys and data need to be done too??

Hugs!!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2007, 07:39:53 pm »
Keep in mind that more than 50% of the population is to some extent bisexual!

how do we know this, about the 50% stat ? And by bi-sexual do you mean anyone who has had an experience with the same sex, or someone who is actively bi-sexual and has regular contact with both genders. I have had sexual contact with women in the past, but I do not think of myself as bi-sexual at all.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2007, 07:43:10 pm »
It's no more right to discriminate against 6% of the population than it is to discrimiante against 12%. 

I agree with you completely. I think a lot of the interest in near approximations of numbers of gay men, lesbians , and bi-sexuals is the result of the Kinsey Study which I believe put the number at 10%. Later studies have shown that number to be unreliable. So, there is a curiosity about a range or a % number.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2007, 08:20:27 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

Like you, I am confused as I had similar experiences with ladies, in the past, so I guess I was bi- then;
and, all gay now??

I am glad that you name the Kinsey report. But that mentioned 6 percent for gay men exclusively then, I think it was? Can you find out?

In a next such survey, much will come out of it, surely, and that will be helpful in many wondrous ways for us gay men, lesbians, bi- as well as for straights surely?

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2007, 08:23:08 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

Like you, I am confused as I had similar experiences with ladies, in the past, so I guess I was bi- then;
and, all gay now??

I am glad that you name the Kinsey report. But that mentioned 6 percent for gay men exclusively then, I think it was? Can you find out?

In a next such survey, much will come out of it, surely, and that will be helpful in many wondrous ways for us gay men, lesbians, bi- as well as for straights surely?

Hugs!
I'll do my best, you can also go to "Kinsey report" on google.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2007, 08:28:32 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

Since I think that gay men are now to-day more that 10 percent, I await your answer concerning the then Kinsey survey.

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2007, 11:09:41 pm »
How in the world do you think that gay men are more than 10% of the population? So, under your theory if you add in Lesbians, who would be also more than 10%, you would have gays and lesbians combined at 20% of the total population. Come on Artiste! There are certain sections of San Fran in which that might be correct, but overall in the USA and Canada? I think you have the wrong figures.

The total % pop of lesbians plus gay men is probably no more than 3%. I don't know how to define bi-sexuals, or why its important to add in bi-sexuals.
What is a bi-sexual? I'm not a bi-sexual even though I will admit to having some experiences with women.

I'm as gay as a box of birds, and happy to be that way!

I think that if it is important to come up with a figure, we should just concentrate on men and women who are attracted to and in relationships with the
same sex.

moremojo

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 02:53:16 pm »
Artiste, If there is a new study. I certainly would be interested. A good study that has
good statistics would help forward gay rights. If 10% of the population could be
proven conclusively gay and lesbian, this should be a wake up call for the
politicians. A 10% voting block would certainly be worth courting nationwide.
Corporations and other businesses realized this some time ago. Gay men have been actively and openly courted as consumers for probably at least ten years now (in the United States).

moremojo

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 03:14:27 pm »
"We gay men are MORE than 10 per cent?"

The number of men who admit to being gay is significantly lower than ten percent. The number of men who have, or have had, sexual relations with other males is much higher than ten percent. The percentage of human beings who are latently bisexual is probably well over fifty percent.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2007, 04:14:50 pm »
I tend to think there is alot more latent bisexuality in our society.  From day 1, I think young boys and girls get msgs about what boys do and what girls do.  Hence, ppl are taught to repress whatever feelings for the same sex they might have. Same sex attraction is wrong.  That's the msg they get. Fag is still a common word on elementary school campuses though most don't even know what that is.

Presidential election survey results in the USA used to put gays at around 4%.  Some U.S. census results have shown a very small percentage of households composed of same sex couples. Probably like 1%.  However the same data showed gay couples residing in every county in the USA EXCEPT for a few counties in the OK panhandle and a few counties in UTAH.

IF a gay dna test is ever available, I wonder how many ppl who took the test would be suprised by the results. Many ppl happily married might show up as having a gay gene.

I think the gay community in the USA is about 5% of the population. The percentage of ppl homosexual is a much harder thing to gather data on.  Married gay mormons, things like that. They will never fess up.

I'm kinda late with the discussion. Hope what I've posted is new.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2007, 04:16:34 pm »
"We gay men are MORE than 10 per cent?"

The number of men who admit to being gay is significantly lower than ten percent. The number of men who have, or have had, sexual relations with other males is much higher than ten percent. The percentage of human beings who are latently bisexual is probably well over fifty percent.

I wonder if this is why so many people think homosexuality is a choice? Because they sense this bisexual tendancy within themselves, and they "choose" to be straight. And so they think it is like that for everyone. But for most gay people, we are not choosing anything. I can promise you there is not ONE shred of straightness in me. Nope. I'm not choosing it.

And I still say things will not get much better for us until society realizes and recognizes this obvious fact.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2007, 04:29:18 pm »
I think the gay community in the USA is about 5% of the population. The percentage of ppl homosexual is a much harder thing to gather data on.  Married gay mormons, things like that. They will never fess up.

I'm kinda late with the discussion. Hope what I've posted is new.

No, you are fine Karl. Thanks for posting!  :D

But even if we are only 5 percent of the US population, this means there is 15 million of us! 5 percent may not sound like very much, but 15 million people constitutes the entire population of many countries! That's an awful lot of people to be discriminating against. I wish our US government would start thinking about people, rather than percentages. The Republicans are especially good at doing these sorts of things.  ::)  >:(

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2007, 05:41:30 pm »
Off Topic....That reigndeer is so cute! Is he real?

TampaTalon^">

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2007, 05:57:12 pm »
Off Topic....That reigndeer is so cute! Is he real?

TampaTalon^">

Which one? The reindeer in my avitar? That's Rudolph! See his red nose?

Of course he's real! ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2007, 06:10:06 pm »
Here he is Tampatalon!

I wish he would move in my avatar, but he doesn't. Isn't that cool looking? :D

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2007, 08:30:21 pm »
No, you are fine Karl. Thanks for posting!  :D

But even if we are only 5 percent of the US population, this means there is 15 million of us! 5 percent may not sound like very much, but 15 million people constitutes the entire population of many countries! That's an awful lot of people to be discriminating against. I wish our US government would start thinking about people, rather than percentages. The Republicans are especially good at doing these sorts of things.  ::)  >:(

5 percent is alot of ppl.  The Jewisih population of the USA is around 5%. They have a large impact despite the fact that they are not the majority religion.  A country like ours should not be judged with just how they treat their majorities, but how they treat their minorities.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2007, 07:44:39 am »
Here he is Tampatalon!

I wish he would move in my avatar, but he doesn't. Isn't that cool looking? :D

He is beautifully done!

:)  :)  :)

TampaTalon^">

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2007, 10:19:27 am »
5 percent is alot of ppl.  The Jewisih population of the USA is around 5%. They have a large impact despite the fact that they are not the majority religion.  A country like ours should not be judged with just how they treat their majorities, but how they treat their minorities.

I think the US society should be judged as to how all citizens are treated. However,we should be especially cognizant of the weakest members of the society, children, the elderly, the handicapped. As a gay man, I do not wish to placed in any special categories, for good or ill.

In reference to the above 5% figure quoted above concerning adherents to Jewish congregations, I'd like to offer that  US Census figures show their percentage of the total population to be closer to 2%. Any group who evidence high educational attainments and higher than average income levels will have an impact on society. Self-identified US Jewish citizens are among several minorities in that category. 

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2007, 02:32:03 pm »

In reference to the above 5% figure quoted above concerning adherents to Jewish congregations, I'd like to offer that  US Census figures show their percentage of the total population to be closer to 2%. Any group who evidence high educational attainments and higher than average income levels will have an impact on society. Self-identified US Jewish citizens are among several minorities in that category.  

A large number of US gay men and women also fall into this group. :)

For most gay Americans though, our problem (or rather lack of obvious impact on society) lies not with our higher incomes and advanced education, but rather our unwillingness in many cases to openly admit our sexual orientation. We continue to contribute to society, yet the rewards and benefits from our contributions are not proportional to those of other ethnic groups.

I am not talking about free handouts here. I totally agree with you. I can give you a perfect example. Due to my Native American heritage, I am entitled to certain benefits from the US government. My Dad is furious with me because I never signed up to receive any of them. Why should I? Why should I benefit from something my ancestors experienced? Yes, my ancestors were removed forcefully from their tribal lands and relocated elsewhere, and yes I am the sum total of all my ancestors, but for some reason it just feels wrong to me. I don't feel like I am entitled to it.

I think gay people want to be accepted. It's as simple as that. We would like to be treated like any other member of society. But sometimes I think it's our fault because of our refusal to openly admit who we are. Or maybe it's society's fault because of the hostility we are met with once we do come out and admit it. It's complicated. And we will never know for certain what percentage of society we are, until we feel comfortable and accepted within the American social landscape.

moremojo

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2007, 06:38:29 pm »
Gary, with my love of making and reading lists, I can't suppress a desire to add to the names that you provided as a sample making your excellent point regarding the immense contributions of American lesbigay people to their nation's culture. American literature and twentieth-century classical music, in particular, would be unthinkable without the indelible works made by the country's lesbigay sons and daughters:

Listed in no particular order:

Walt Whitman
Herman Melville
Willa Cather
Bessie Smith
Paul Bowles
Jane Bowles
Ned Rorem
Samuel Barber
Cole Porter
Stephen Sondheim
Aaron Copland
Leonard Bernstein
George Cukor
Vincente Minnelli
Mitchell Leisen
Jack Smith
Virgil Thomson
John Rechy
Allen Ginsberg
Jack Kerouac
Hart Crane
Gregory Markopoulos
Robert Beavers
Andy Warhol
Robert Mapplethorpe
George Kuchar
Mike Kuchar
Curt McDowell
Warren Sonbert
James Broughton
Joel Singer
John Waters
Chester Kallman

...when it comes to creative intellects, a little bit more than ten percent, wouldn't you say?  ;)

Note on edit: Amended 'Samuel Butler' to the correct and intended 'Samuel Barber'

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 12:27:13 pm by moremojo »

Offline Artiste

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2007, 10:40:31 pm »
Just arrived ina snow storm, from a very long 3 days trip and slept in the cold in my truck... so I did not catch the name of the gay lady who just passed away... the night TV news say! She wrote for the gay paper in California, I think or was it the Toronto past Body Politics one?? She was in her 70's when she past away in British Columbia, Canada! She wrote only gay stories...and got the Order of Canada medal last year?? TV said! May we find her name and add her to your lists of gay writors?? We gay persons are surely more that 10 per cent as artists?

And concerning First Nations still too much forgotten and neglected by most, indeed we should and must include them as too.. not only because you and I have such descendants, but we as caring for humanity too!!

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2007, 10:19:56 am »

A large number of US gay men and women also fall into this group. :)

I think gay people want to be accepted. It's as simple as that. We would like to be treated like any other member of society. But sometimes I think it's our fault because of our refusal to openly admit who we are. Or maybe it's society's fault because of the hostility we are met with once we do come out and admit it. It's complicated. And we will never know for certain what percentage of society we are, until we feel comfortable and accepted within the American social landscape.

I think that you have summed up my point of view about the difficulties gays/lesbians have in fully realizing the "american dream". You are right "It's complicated"

Financial success goes some ways  towards achieving this, and thru the difficult "school of experience" I have recognized that achieving levels of financial comfort is not the sum total of what we need. I hope that when same sex marriage is achieved in the legal and political system, that also will be a very large step in the right direction. But ultimately, each of us has to accept the truths about ourselves, and be happy with ourselves. We can blame the homophobic society we live in all we want (and it would be difficult to grow up in a more homophobic culture than I grew up in small town Texas), but in the last analysis, whether we are in or out of the closet, we must take responsibility for our own lives and learn to be happy with ourselves.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2007, 11:20:10 am »
More than 10 per cent of us gays can be happy with our lives?

Why not aim for 100 per cent?

I say this because we can reach out more towards other gay men and gay women, so that when we group, or seek and find another person with mutual interests, at least we become happy?

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2007, 11:23:35 am »
More than 10 per cent of us gays can be happy with our lives?

Why not aim for 100 per cent?

I say this because we can reach out more towards other gay men and gay women, so that when we group, or seek and find another person with mutual interests, at least we become happy?

Hugs!

To my knowledge no one has said the "10% of gay can be happy". We all advocate happiness for all. I don't know how you have interpreted what was said in that way.    Artiste, is your translator device working OK?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2007, 11:47:20 am »
Thanks brokeplex!

I feel that 10 percent of us gay men or less are happy or gay as gay men! You think so too, maybe??

Unfortunately, not all aim to be happy as persons??

I find that gay world sad!

Hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2008, 01:06:52 pm »
Now more tha 10 per cent in 2008?

Any facts?

Or thoughts?

Hugs!   May all gays be safe and happy in 2008 in the whole world!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2008, 07:27:52 pm »
May I ask more names...

And think that the subject of 10 or more or less... be more too!!

Hugs!!

moremojo

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2008, 07:51:56 pm »
May I ask more names...
Sure...here are a few more (in no particular order):

John Cheever
Maurice Sendak
Larry Kramer
Leonard Pollack
Peter Lamborn Wilson
David Kopay
Camille Paglia
Randal Kleiser
David Ehrenstein
Bill Reed
Joel Schumacher
Victor Salva
Philip Core
Wakefield Poole
Thomas Tryon
Casey Donovan
Jodie Foster
Ellen DeGeneres
Rosie O'Donnell
Sandra Bernhard
Tom DeSimone
Annie Sprinkle
Rock Hudson
Merv Griffin
Charles Ludlam
Everett Quinton
Frederic Kahler
Tab Hunter
Tony Kushner

Note on edit: Deleted Allen Ginsberg's name from this post, as I discovered I had included him in a previous list on this thread, making his presence in this list redundant.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 12:28:42 pm by moremojo »

moremojo

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2008, 08:08:53 pm »
One more name to add...

Colin Higgins

Here is a website devoted to the humanitarian foundation that late filmmaker Higgins established in 1986, and which bears his name:

http://www.colinhiggins.org/

Offline Artiste

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2008, 10:29:35 am »
Thanks very much for your two comments moremojo!!

Just saw that site for the Foundation. I think that is a great idea!!

Maybe we at Bettermost can do something like that?

As one subject could be that to give funds or create a contest for the creation of posters in order for gays and others to use condoms and or other safe sex usage??

Any other ideas from toi and from all others too??

If we are 5 to 10 per cent or more, we can surely try to help... and we can make efforts at least!!

More please, and merci encore,

hugs!!

moremojo

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2008, 12:41:54 pm »
More please, and merci encore,
Some names that came to mind over the weekend:

Melissa Etheridge
Amanda Bearse
Kate Clinton
Kate Bornstein
Pat Califia
Portia de Rossi
RuPaul
Chi Chi LaRue
Divine
Rod McKuen
Roddy McDowall
Anthony Perkins
Alejandro Moseley
Kristen Bjorn
Robert Mizer
George Platt Lynes
Boyd McDonald
James Whale
David Hockney
Derek Jarman

Note: Not all of these personages were/are American.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2008, 12:49:06 pm »
Great and thanks very much again moremojo!!

Any Canadian/Canadienne ones??

Any First Nations: Canada, USA, elsewhere??

Other americans...

hugs!!  It is grand to read names of gay men and women in our gay community!!

Offline twocowboywaltz

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2008, 01:44:29 am »
This is interesting:

I'm quoting from my Psychology textbook (which has this most interesting section about homosexuality):
"In a 2002 Gallup survey, the average American estimated that 21 percent of men are gay and 22 percent of women are lesbian (Robinson, 2002). But in both Europe and the United States, more than a dozen national surveys in the early 1990s explored sexual orientation, using methods that protected the respondent's anonymity. Their results agree in suggesting that a more accurate figure is about 3 or 5 percent of men and 1 or 2 percent of women (Laumann & others, 1994; National Center for Health Statistics, 1991; Smith 1998). Estimates derived from the sex of unmarried partners reported in the 2000 U.S. Census suggest that 2.5 percent of the population is gay or lesbian (Tarmann, 2002)."

Of course, no textbook is one-hundred percent right about things. And statistics can be somewhat misleading. As long as there are gay people who are unwilling to admit their sexual orientation, no survey is going to be truly accurate about things like this.

Anyway...just felt like sharing with you all.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2008, 11:14:16 am »
Thanks twocowboywaltz!

That is very interesting!

That data is about surveys! What is an Gallup survey? That is done by the Federal Government in the USA?

Any information about Canada in it??

Hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2008, 07:14:29 pm »
There are many, many gay men and lesbians in the USA!!

So, will you make your vote count to choose which for which party??

Hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2008, 11:17:52 pm »
I still think that we are more than 10 per cent!

Maybe?

Au revoir,

hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2008, 11:23:58 am »
Any recent surveys in the uSA?

Maybe that will start so we know how many gays?

Hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2008, 10:29:12 pm »
Any more news?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2008, 07:33:44 pm »
I think that we must be at least 10 per cent !!

Anyone else thinks so too?

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2008, 05:39:32 pm »
I think that we must be at least 10 per cent !!

Anyone else thinks so too?

I think your whipping a dead horse babe.... ::)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2008, 06:35:46 pm »
My horse is alive.

They all are, and that includes you stud!

Wonder like I, why this subject is not an important one to most persosn?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2008, 12:44:26 pm »
We are surely much more than 10 per cent !!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2008, 03:04:29 pm »
More than 10 per cent ?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2008, 11:06:28 pm »
More pols are needed?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2008, 07:48:35 pm »
I still think so to-day ! And maybe that is why Prop 8 came about, because they fear to know ?